Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby will NOT eat and its driving me nuts!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

She is 20 months and has never been a "good" eater.  Shes always been uninterested and picky.

But this past week I can barely get her to eat one cracker all day!  She screams and clamps her mouth shut!

I have tried all types of her fav foods...finger foods, apple sauces, yougurts.

Yesterday I was thrilled b/c I got her to eat almost one jar of yogurt.  Today she has had 2 Cheez its!!!!

I feel like she is starving!   Is this normal?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM
No. Sounds like a sensory issue
I'd consult her pedi and probably a pediatric nutritionist as well
mich.el.le
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM

No, not to that extreme I dont think. I'd talk to her pedi and stop fighting with her over it. That's probably making it worse. Just set out some food for her and let her graze if she wants.  See what happens.

mommy425906
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM

My son has been like this for a long time. He's not picky, just never hungry. We are cutting back on the amt of whole milk he drinks to see if that helps - too much whole milk will kill their appetites.

Just offer the food & if she refuses don't make a big deal out of it. This morning I made my son breakfast, he took one bite then asked for candy. I said "no, you either eat your breakfast or you don't eat at all. That's your choice". He didn't eat. I covered the plate (it was eggs & a biscuit), & put it in the fridge ... About 1 or 2 hrs later I re-heated it and he ate almost everything. 

Don't give in. A lot of times this stuff is for attention. If they see you getting worked up over it they realize they have control over you ... Or if it isn't a normal behavior for her it could be teething. Ask you ped & see what they say.

Hang in there. I know its frustrating. Kids will NOT starve themselves!! Just believe & remember that.

busy mom

Proud mommy to Parker & Kayla!! 

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I would think she is getting in some teeth. My daughter did that every time she was teething...she would refuse all foods except for very soft, cold stuff (like yogurt). It was worse when she was cutting her eye teeth (is that what they're called? the sharp ones) and her molars.

alibrezzy154
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Is she sick? I know dd was like that when she had hands foot and mouth disease
idareyou
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:27 PM

How much & what is she drinking throughout the day?

leota29
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:13 AM
That's what I have to do with my 22 month old son. Plus on really bad days he gets pediasure. For awhile all he would eat was animal crackers and I tried the force feeding and that sire didn't work. Its getting better now and some of it was due to teething. I have don't eat much myself idk if that has anything to do with it but I've noticed he's more willing to eat if I am.

Quoting mich.el.le:

No, not to that extreme I dont think. I'd talk to her pedi and stop fighting with her over it. That's probably making it worse. Just set out some food for her and let her graze if she wants.  See what happens.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ncohetero
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:26 AM
My daughter did that once she hit one. My pedi told me to get her pediasure
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-KC-
by Honesty on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:35 AM
My son tried to pull that crap. He refused to eat so he sat there until he ate at least half of his plate. He improved so much he barely gives any problems when it comes to eating now. Hes 2 and a half....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malissaL
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:36 AM

it's normal for that age, definitely,  and she will eat when she is hungry!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured