Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is the right age.. advice please

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

What is the ideal age to talk to your daughter about her period and sex. My daughter is almost 8. I am planning to talk to her about her period, but I feel she is still not ready to hear the whole "talk" just yet.  Any advice?

I talked to her a few minutes ago.  She understood and did not ask too many questions. I did let her know that if she needs to talk, come to me.  She knows not to be embarrased and that when it does happen, I will be here to help her through it.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
John3_16
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, I would start gently easing her into it. My daughter started her period very young...11 years old. It was very difficult for her because I had not discussed this with her. I truly did not expect this to happen to to my sweet girl at such a young age. But yes, my advice is slowly, gently ease her into it. :) there are lots of helpful materials at your local library on this subject for young girls. I hope this helps. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:17 PM

4th grade is pretty standard

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Quoting John3_16:

Well, I would start gently easing her into it. My daughter started her period very young...11 years old. It was very difficult for her because I had not discussed this with her. I truly did not expect this to happen to to my sweet girl at such a young age. But yes, my advice is slowly, gently ease her into it. :) there are lots of helpful materials at your local library on this subject for young girls. I hope this helps. Good luck!

I was thinking it would be better to at least talk about her period now.  So many girls start young. I was 14 but my sister was 9.  I just don't want her to freak out if she does start early. Kwim? I just don't know if I should go into too much detail or do it in stages. My mother never really explained anything to me.  She told me and that was it. I was lost when I started going through puberty. 

cklamour
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:25 PM
I had the talk with my daughter the first day of her AF. She was eight going on nine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rach7224
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM

My mom was always very open with me about it, and im glad she was because i started my period at 10, and my mom wasnt home. it would have been a whole lot worse for me if i hadnt known about it. i dont htink its too early to talk about her period or at least mention it. I'm not sure I would start with sex yet unless the topic came up as long as she knows bounderies of people, like where or how touching would be innappropriate.

md3mom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:27 PM
I would talk to her as the topic comes up as others have said. I told my dd9 about her period a few weeks ago. I had already discussed sex with her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
John3_16
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:34 PM
I have heard of so many other little girls starting as early as 9 too. So young!! I really think you are doing the right thing by talking with her. Trust your mommy instincts! :) you usually can't go wrong with those. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting John3_16:

I was thinking it would be better to at least talk about her period now.  So many girls start young. I was 14 but my sister was 9.  I just don't want her to freak out if she does start early. Kwim? I just don't know if I should go into too much detail or do it in stages. My mother never really explained anything to me.  She told me and that was it. I was lost when I started going through puberty. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pce68
by Patti on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I started talking about my period when my dd was a preschooler. She would see me in the bathroom and wanted to know why there was blood so I told her that women have eggs inside them that can become babies, and if God doesn't want her to have a baby right now then the egg breaks down and comes out of your body, and it looks like blood. Later on I started adding more information, like how the semen from men can meet with the egg and it can become a baby. I just added a little bit more info as she got older. When she was 10, we attended a class at our church that taught her all the info but she knew most of it by that point, but I still felt the class was a good experience bc she got to ask questions and learn more about it all, and it was done in a manner I felt comfortable with. 

There are lots of books that can help you with this. I would definitely talk about periods now bc some girls will start as early as 8 or 9, and you don't want her to be totally surprised when it happens.

Tink0711
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:35 PM
I was forced to talk to dd about periods at 8. She got hers at school & freaked the hell out! I have talked to her about sex since she started noticing boys (at about 9).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AubreeGrace17
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Tell her about periods now and in fourth grade the whole shebang.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)