Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

being a "single mom" **edit**

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:17 PM
  • 78 Replies
I give all the credit in the world to single moms. They have to do everything everyday with no help. But when you have a husband who works 40 plus hours a week or one that is gone more than they are home isn't that kind of like being a single mom? I know you still have the support of a spouse but if they aren't physically there you are still doing it on your own right? I know a girl who is a single mom who has a job but still lives at home with her parents. She is in her 20's but she boasts about being a single mom when she has her parents helping her 24/7. A woman I am very good friends with has a daughter and her husband has scoliosis and 98 percent of the time she is doing everything for her daughter because her husband is in so much pain he physically can't do anything. I don't know I guess I see how my friend struggles taking care of her child and her husband and never complains but the other girl brags and thinks she is so much better because she is a "single mom" but can pretty much depend on he parents to do whatever she needs.

** I'm sorry if anyone got offended by this post. That was not my intention by any means. I am married but I have seen and know single moms and honestly I feel like they are super moms. Trust me I see them and think dang she's making me look like a rookie LOL. I don't realty think just because your married but your husband isn't there 24/7 makes you a single mom but they do know some of the challenges that come with it. But someone like the girl I was talking about above even though she is single she still gets all the help she wants and needs from her parents. No I'm not saying its wrong but to me it just irritates me how she claims that she is all alone and doing everything on her own which is completely untrue.
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rnchelle93
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:19 PM
I'm a single mom. No boyfriend/father in the picture, never has been. No family help. I'm 10 weeks pregnant, but I am and will be doing it all alone. Being married isn't being a single mom. You've got someone to share life with, someone to count on, someone else there, financial help. I don't and won't have that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
friendlymom5
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:19 PM
I hate being a single mom. I go it all alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
While I was married, even through my (now) ex's three deployments and multiple weeks on end in the field training.....I never ONCE was a "single" mom. Yes, I may have been alone, but I still hadthat other half. Even when he wasn't physically there, I knew that I had his support, monetarily as well as emotionally.

Life as a single mom is hard as hell. Suddenly becoming the provider, after having been provided for takes some serious getting used to. Knowing that you no longer have a partner to lean on when things get rough is even harder to deal with.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:27 PM
5 moms liked this
Lol. You're not a single mom. You're just pregnant and you're not even out if your first trimester. Chill out with that.

Quoting rnchelle93:

I'm a single mom. No boyfriend/father in the picture, never has been. No family help. I'm 10 weeks pregnant, but I am and will be doing it all alone. Being married isn't being a single mom. You've got someone to share life with, someone to count on, someone else there, financial help. I don't and won't have that.
klespeedy0205
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:27 PM
I'm a single mom. His dad doesn't help. Its hard sometimes but I wouldn't trade ds for anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:28 PM
I lived with my parents when I was a single Mom. But they didn't pay for any of my bills and I still had to put my son in daycare. They would babysit if absolutely necessary, but my Mom made sure I knew what it was like to be the Mom and do it myself. I've never gotten child support. My income was the only money I had ever.

I'm married now. I rarely see my husband because of our schedules, but it's not the same. We have 2 incomes. I have his support. He pays bills, helps clean, takes care of the kids. My youngest has never been in daycare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ta2dirishlass
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Given your scenarios, no, that is not like being a single mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmoosesmom
by Cat on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this
To me a single mom is a mom who's ex ( baby's father isn't in the picture!) he doesn't see the children, doesn't pay Cs she gets no help!

I think moms who are single but yet have the fathers help( he takes the children, pays Cs, ect) aren't single moms!

I think this way about single dads too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FL2AK
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I have been a single mom and also married with a husband who was deployed for months at a time. Having a husband away does not make a woman a single mom. There is such a huge difference.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rnchelle93
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Then what, pray tell, am I? I'm pregnant, so a mother, and I'm single. I have everything to handle, on my own. All financial and logistical issues are mine to handle, as is the pregnancy itself, from day one. I have an entire life with a child to figure out, so if I'm not a single mother, please, what am I?

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol. You're not a single mom. You're just pregnant and you're not even out if your first trimester. Chill out with that.

Quoting rnchelle93:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)