Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

EDIT! My sister had a stroke, I am worried because she says she does not like Doctors and thinks they are quacks so now what?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My mom constantly calls and tells me I should be more like my sister who runs like 3 miles a day, works 70 hours a week (she is not married and does not have kids tho, has a bf tho, never wants kids) and she does not take any medications for anxiety, she says they are all bad and horrid for you! Well I am overweight and she calls my mom daily and tells my mom I'm gonna die (and my mom is a worry wart so this is bs of her to do) she tells my mom its bad that I take xanax and temazapam I take in the evenings, that I should deal with having anxiety, these drugs will kill me! And she complains me being a mother and in college isn't enough I should work harder like her and have multiple jobs. Well now she had a minor stroke. Guess who I am not taking health advice from???? I am glad she is okay, but she seriously called my mom yesterday bitching that xanax is evil still because my mom is starting it. Umm maybe if she would not work so hard and admit she had some anxiety issues she wouldn't have had a stroke. I understand she thinks she is perfect because she works so hard, but she needs to take it easy, and she is giving my mom bad advice. I said to my mom today, umm she had a minor stroke last week! Who are you gonna listen to? Your Dr, and someone who has taken the medicine as needed for years or someone who obviously has too much stress? My mom filled her script. Thank god. Please everyone pray for my sister her name is Tanya that she sees the light and stops overworking before she has a MAJOR stroke. I don't know why she thinks she has to be perfect and everyone else does...its so sad.

EDIT---THE MAJOR REASON I am worried is she is the type of person she says she knows better than Doctors. She has been saying this for years. If she is not gonna take their advice, or who knows what then she could have a major stroke. Anyone thinking this post was about sibling resentment, well you misunderstood. I just don't want her giving my sick mother advice (my mom is unhealthy, mentally, and is starting to have some physical issues) I want my mom to TRUST Doctors. And I really feel like it's a bad thing that my sister will not listen to Doctors. Like I said BEFORE PLEASE keep her in your thoughts and prayers, and my mother too. Neither of them are doing well, and I wish for them BOTH to be healthy, and trust their Doctor.

Let me add...my sister teaches BALLET. She has been in BALLET her whole life, she still does some Ballets which she struggles with at her age still getting into some, but it is her passion, and she is naturally not stick thin. Everyone knows that Ballet has a reputation for making women feel bad about their bodies if they don't live up to a certain standard. My sister is always on a diet when I see her despite the fact she works out like a mad woman. I think it is time for a talk. Thank you everyone who sent warm wishes.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Well, you could have a stroke as well. I mean, my grandmother was sitting on her couch in the middle of making spaghetti when she had her stroke. My cousin's mother was delivering food to her patients when she had her stroke. A stroke can happen to anyone.

She is probably better off without the anti-anxiety medications. Medications for the most part tend to be worse for you than the actual illness you have.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this
As someone who has been down the road of benzos and antidepressants I agree with her, in my case changing my life style and natural alternatives helped much more. Also kind of screwed up response toyour sister having a stroke... But she's in my thoughts.
pse07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:30 AM
What is this from?

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Does she have an eating disorder? Surely the doctors checked her potassium and all of that jazz, but, from the small information you gave me, along with the stroke and her type of personality.. It would not surprise me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:33 AM

umm she had a stroke. Obviously she is working too hard.

Quoting 702girly:

She need a wake up call because she's too healthy and productive?

eye rolling

702girly
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:35 AM

ummm obviously you are not a doctor. You have no idea what caused her stroke.

Quoting Anonymous:

umm she had a stroke. Obviously she is working too hard.

Quoting 702girly:

She need a wake up call because she's too healthy and productive?

eye rolling

kissmiss213
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:35 AM

her need to be perfect is how she deals with her anxiety. i hope that she gets better soon.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Honestly? I don't know. My mom suffered from anorexia for many years, and I never had an issue with it. My sister lives an hour away, but every time I see her she is as thin as a rail, and its not in our genes to be "super thin" my other sister who is her full sister is bigger, not quite as big as me, but she is not stick thin. I mean my sister seems unnaturally thin. I do wonder if she has an eating disorder. Could that cause a stroke? Omg.

Quoting Anonymous:

Does she have an eating disorder? Surely the doctors checked her potassium and all of that jazz, but, from the small information you gave me, along with the stroke and her type of personality.. It would not surprise me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Umm no you misunderstand I see nothing in her life changing and I am upset. She had a stroke, and is not doing anything different. And I have been on benzos for years, and they work great for me, but thanks. Antidepressants don't agree with me. It's a personal choice I guess. I am honestly more just worried that she had a stroke and is not looking at anything in her life and thinking anything should change. It's scary, I don't want her to have a MAJOR stroke next.

Quoting Anonymous:

As someone who has been down the road of benzos and antidepressants I agree with her, in my case changing my life style and natural alternatives helped much more. Also kind of screwed up response toyour sister having a stroke... But she's in my thoughts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM

I think at the very least she needs to cut back at work, I mean she is working a fulltime job, and she is a dance teacher which is another fulltime job. She can't keep doing this to herself with her personality, she is just as nervous as I am, and I don't even have as much on my plate as her which is why I take a pill when I am stressed. I know it can happen to anyone. Honestly I am scared because I DO take hormonal BC. And my sister doesn't, I know that raises my chances. I am overweight I worry more about heart problems down the line, but these 50 extra lbs I've been dieting slowly, I make smaller meals, I take the stairs at school, I park far away, I am making slow changes. I am slowly taking it off.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Well, you could have a stroke as well. I mean, my grandmother was sitting on her couch in the middle of making spaghetti when she had her stroke. My cousin's mother was delivering food to her patients when she had her stroke. A stroke can happen to anyone.

She is probably better off without the anti-anxiety medications. Medications for the most part tend to be worse for you than the actual illness you have.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)