Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

read about the girl being killed walking to school

Posted by   + Show Post

most people commenting on yahoo thought the mother should have not let her walk on her own...what do you do?how does your child (how old) get to school and what age to you think is ok for them to walk alone?

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:09 AM
Replies (11-20):
DestinyHLewis
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:19 AM
I cannot allow my kids to walk to school alone, even though we live less than 1/4 of a mile away, and everyone either walks or rides. I am not judging Jessica's mother however. ;-( this whole case makes me sick.
ballerina18
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Sorry, I'm not seeing it. =(

Quoting mollysmom212:

check on yahoo 

Quoting ballerina18:

Link to the article?

mollysmom212
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:19 AM

yes  agreed plus she was ten and supposed to meet up with friends

Quoting Anonymous:

Her mom worked nights and was sleeping before you start bashing someone make sure you have the facts

Quoting Anonymous:

This mom could have. She chose not to take the few minutes it would have taken at the end of her day. Then didn't answer the phone for hours. If she had only answered her phone they may have been able to find this little girl alive.

Quoting mollysmom212:

yes but not every mom is able to walk their child ..maybe because of work schedule etc....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:19 AM
1 mom liked this

She only had 3 blocks to walk alone.  It's a little too late to say that now though.  I'm sure the mother is beating herself up enough without having people talk trash about her on the internet.  This is something that her family will never get over.  I just hope the person who did it is caught before they have an opportunity to hurt anyone else. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:20 AM
I am well alware of that. And I also work nights so I know all about sleeping during the day. That said, when my kids aren't home I still answer my damn phone. It's called being responsible. There is no excuse for her not answering. I live that life, I know it's hard, but that is not an excuse.

Quoting Anonymous:

Her mom worked nights and was sleeping before you start bashing someone make sure you have the facts

Quoting Anonymous:

This mom could have. She chose not to take the few minutes it would have taken at the end of her day. Then didn't answer the phone for hours. If she had only answered her phone they may have been able to find this little girl alive.

Quoting mollysmom212:

yes but not every mom is able to walk their child ..maybe because of work schedule etc....

mollysmom212
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:21 AM

yes iam sure the mother is going through all the what if i  had done anything different besides having  lost her child... so  at what age to you think its ok for your kids to walk on their own?

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I cannot allow my kids to walk to school alone, even though we live less than 1/4 of a mile away, and everyone either walks or rides. I am not judging Jessica's mother however. ;-( this whole case makes me sick.

noble427
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:21 AM
This

Quoting Jess_Carrillo:

Personally the way things are today, my son will not be walking to school period, I don't even really trust a bus. Sad what things have come to !!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:22 AM
The school was trying to call her for hours. I'm a single mom that works nights. I know how hard it is. I know how much it sucks to wake up to answer the phone. But when you have kids to worry about that's what you have to do.

Quoting mollysmom212:

yes  agreed plus she was ten and supposed to meet up with friends

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mollysmom212:

3_girls_86
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:22 AM
I drive my oldest to school..but she's only six..I think I'll be driving ask of my kids to school for a while.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:22 AM
No. It's just sad, the girl was supposed to meet up with other children. I'm sure the mom is blaming herself. So terrible all of it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured