Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

read about the girl being killed walking to school

Posted by   + Show Post

most people commenting on yahoo thought the mother should have not let her walk on her own...what do you do?how does your child (how old) get to school and what age to you think is ok for them to walk alone?

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:09 AM
Replies (21-30):
ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:22 AM
1 mom liked this

That is so sad!

Personally, I didn't start walking to school until I was 15 years old. My dd is only 5 now and I don't even feel comfortable with her riding the bus. I'm not sure how I will feel at age 15, but in this day and age I plan on driving my dd even up to age 10.

Quoting mollysmom212:

article on yahoo is about jessica ridgeway she was ten and was abducted on her way  to school...she was supposed to meet up with friends to walk with them so it wasn`t like she would have walked alone..how long does everyone think a mom should walk her kid?like with 15 would you still do it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Only hindsight is 20/20.  I highly doubt you would say that to her mother's face.  People who have negative comments about a mother who just had her daughter kidnapped, murdered, and mutilated really make me ill.

Quoting Anonymous:

This mom could have. She chose not to take the few minutes it would have taken at the end of her day. Then didn't answer the phone for hours. If she had only answered her phone they may have been able to find this little girl alive.

Quoting mollysmom212:

yes but not every mom is able to walk their child ..maybe because of work schedule etc....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:24 AM
Most of the criticism I've heard is not about her letting her kid walk alone, but not answering her phone. I agree with that. She could have picked up that phone and things could have potentially turned out very different. I would not be surprised that her dad hates that woman for life. I know I would if I were him.

Quoting Anonymous:

She only had 3 blocks to walk alone.  It's a little too late to say that now though.  I'm sure the mother is beating herself up enough without having people talk trash about her on the internet.  This is something that her family will never get over.  I just hope the person who did it is caught before they have an opportunity to hurt anyone else. 

mollysmom212
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:24 AM

iam paranoid about always having a phone with me and being able to answer ...maybe she slept through it because she really was that tired ..surely it wasn`t not caring...also in all honesty when iam out like at walmart my cell sometimes has no signal...so in all fairness i don`t think one can always be able to answer immediately

Quoting Anonymous:

I am well alware of that. And I also work nights so I know all about sleeping during the day. That said, when my kids aren't home I still answer my damn phone. It's called being responsible. There is no excuse for her not answering. I live that life, I know it's hard, but that is not an excuse.

Quoting Anonymous:

Her mom worked nights and was sleeping before you start bashing someone make sure you have the facts

Quoting Anonymous:

This mom could have. She chose not to take the few minutes it would have taken at the end of her day. Then didn't answer the phone for hours. If she had only answered her phone they may have been able to find this little girl alive.

Quoting mollysmom212:

yes but not every mom is able to walk their child ..maybe because of work schedule etc....

hyper_bunny
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:25 AM

I drop my son off, the teacher walks him to the bus to go to his other school, and then the teacher there meets him and puts him back on the bus to come home. I wouldn't let my son walk to school personally. I would worry too much. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:25 AM
I'm j/c did the school say why they were calling for hours? Did a friend she was supposed to meet mention they knew she was walking? Normally if my sons are absent they just call once, and leave a message if I didn't answer. I haven't followed the details of the case.

Quoting Anonymous:

The school was trying to call her for hours. I'm a single mom that works nights. I know how hard it is. I know how much it sucks to wake up to answer the phone. But when you have kids to worry about that's what you have to do.

Quoting mollysmom212:

yes  agreed plus she was ten and supposed to meet up with friends

Quoting Anonymous:

Her mom worked nights and was sleeping before you start bashing someone make sure you have the facts

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mollysmom212:

19bubbles91
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:25 AM
CBS4 Denver has confirmed maintenance workers picking up trash found the unidentified body in Arvada on Wednesday night.

The body was found next to West 82nd Avenue, near Pattridge Park open space and Highway 93, about seven miles from Ridgeway’s home in Westminster. It’s still not clear how the body was found, and Westminster Police spokesman Trevor Materasso said it was “not intact.”

Jessica Ridgeway was last seen on her way to meet a group of friends on Friday morning before they began their daily walk to Witt Elementary School in Westminster.

The body found in the open space has not been positively identified as that of the 10-year-old.

Investigators continued to search the field where the body was found for evidence and clues.

Neighbors said they talked to police about seeing anything suspicious leading up to the discovery of the body.

“I’m very sorry. I’m very much afraid that it’s the little girl,” said Shirley Snyder.

Snyder lives just a few streets away from where the grim discovery surfaced.

“They asked if I had seen anything suspicious in my backyard, like thrown over my fence,” said Snyder.

“That’s as much quiet country as you can get. There’s nothing back there from this house to 93 there’s nothing,” said neighbor Chris Mourie.

Mourie is one of several neighbors who have told police about suspicious activity in the community.

“There was a green pickup truck that was parked there yesterday. Because this was such a remote area we really don’t see that many people,” said Mourie.

RELATED STORY: FBI Releases Suspect Behavior Profile

“Most of the people who come here to walk their dogs are regulars. You very seldom see somebody new show up. And then to have him show up and walking down through that area all of a sudden. I never saw the vehicle before, never saw the guy before, so I was a little suspicious.”

Shelby White told police about an unusual circumstance surrounding a different vehicle.

“Last Sunday I noticed a car that seemed very odd to me. What happened was it pulled up to the bridge and stopped but it never left,” said White.

On Standley Lake in Westminster located at 100th Avenue and Simms Street, north of where the body was discovered, investigators searched the shoreline in the water for evidence.

The agents were from Jefferson and Douglas Counties. A Douglas County Mobile Crime Lab was also set up in the area. Investigators filled bags with evidence and stacked them in a nearby SUV. They have not confirmed what they were looking for or what, if anything, was discovered.

There was also a mobile crime lab set up at 96th and Alkire. What was being collected there is unknown.

Ridgeway is listed on the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children list. The following is known about her disappearance:

- Jessica Ridgeway, 10, disappeared on her way to school on the morning of Oct. 5. After leaving home on foot, she never met up with friends she normally walks to school with at Chelsea Park. The park is about three blocks from her home and about a mile from the school.

- When she didn’t arrive at Witt Elementary School in Westminster, Jefferson County Schools officials tried to contact her mother. They made a call at 10 a.m. but were only able to leave a voicemail. Ridgeway’s mother, who works an overnight shift and sleeps during the day, didn’t get the message until 4:30 p.m. and immediately contacted Westminster police.

- It took about five hours before the protocols were met in the case for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation to call an Amber Alert.

- Ridgeway’s backpack was found on the sidewalk near Alpha Court and Andrew Drive in the Rock Creek neighborhood in Superior. That’s 6.4 miles away from her home. It’s unknown so far at what point the backpack wound up there.

- The CBI analyzed the backpack for DNA evidence and collected evidence from Ridgeway’s home for comparison.

- Searches were taking place around Jessica’s home and her school, as well as in open space areas in Westminster. Another area that underwent an extensive search was Rock Creek and open space areas near there.

- A day after their tearful televised plea for help and thanks to the community, police on Oct. 10 ruled out Ridgeway’s parents as being involved in her disappearance. Police said Ridgeway may have been abducted by an unknown suspect.

- Late in the day on Oct. 11 a body is found in Arvada near Highway 93, about seven miles from Ridgeway’s home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:25 AM
If she asked me. I would. Not in those words but yes. She has responsibility in this. She chose not to answer her phone for the first crucial hours her daughter was missing.

Quoting Anonymous:

Only hindsight is 20/20.  I highly doubt you would say that to her mother's face.  People who have negative comments about a mother who just had her daughter kidnapped, murdered, and mutilated really make me ill.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mollysmom212:

mollysmom212
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:25 AM

also wondering why school didn`t have an emergency number besides the  mom if she knew she would be sleeping?maybe dad or someone else?

Quoting Anonymous:

Most of the criticism I've heard is not about her letting her kid walk alone, but not answering her phone. I agree with that. She could have picked up that phone and things could have potentially turned out very different. I would not be surprised that her dad hates that woman for life. I know I would if I were him.

Quoting Anonymous:

She only had 3 blocks to walk alone.  It's a little too late to say that now though.  I'm sure the mother is beating herself up enough without having people talk trash about her on the internet.  This is something that her family will never get over.  I just hope the person who did it is caught before they have an opportunity to hurt anyone else. 

cocoroo
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:26 AM
My dd is 10 and walks to school. I walk her most days, but not everyday. Lately my 11 yo son has been walking her. He goes to a different school that starts later. It is tragic what happened to this little, but I refuse to live in fear or allow my children to live in fear.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)