Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

read about the girl being killed walking to school

Posted by   + Show Post

most people commenting on yahoo thought the mother should have not let her walk on her own...what do you do?how does your child (how old) get to school and what age to you think is ok for them to walk alone?

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:09 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:26 AM

It could happen to anyone.  You are not immune to tragedy.  Keep that in mind. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I am well alware of that. And I also work nights so I know all about sleeping during the day. That said, when my kids aren't home I still answer my damn phone. It's called being responsible. There is no excuse for her not answering. I live that life, I know it's hard, but that is not an excuse.

Quoting Anonymous:

Her mom worked nights and was sleeping before you start bashing someone make sure you have the facts

Quoting Anonymous:

This mom could have. She chose not to take the few minutes it would have taken at the end of her day. Then didn't answer the phone for hours. If she had only answered her phone they may have been able to find this little girl alive.

Quoting mollysmom212:

yes but not every mom is able to walk their child ..maybe because of work schedule etc....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:26 AM
Maybe not immediately. However there is no excuse for her not answering for HOURS.

Quoting mollysmom212:

iam paranoid about always having a phone with me and being able to answer ...maybe she slept through it because she really was that tired ..surely it wasn`t not caring...also in all honesty when iam out like at walmart my cell sometimes has no signal...so in all fairness i don`t think one can always be able to answer immediately

Quoting Anonymous:

I am well alware of that. And I also work nights so I know all about sleeping during the day. That said, when my kids aren't home I still answer my damn phone. It's called being responsible. There is no excuse for her not answering. I live that life, I know it's hard, but that is not an excuse.

Quoting Anonymous:

Her mom worked nights and was sleeping before you start bashing someone make sure you have the facts

Quoting Anonymous:

This mom could have. She chose not to take the few minutes it would have taken at the end of her day. Then didn't answer the phone for hours. If she had only answered her phone they may have been able to find this little girl alive.

Quoting mollysmom212:

yes but not every mom is able to walk their child ..maybe because of work schedule etc....

19bubbles91
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:27 AM
Just what our local newstation had (it has not been updated to say it was Jessica)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DestinyHLewis
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting mollysmom212:

I guess it depends on the area where you live, how far away the school is, and if they walk alone at any point. To be honest I could probably let my 3 girls walk and they would be fine. I just can't. I cannot take that chance. It's my own paranoia. If I had to choose I would say 6th grade. Whatever age that is. I think it all depends on what I mentioned and the maturity of the child. My oldest was born an adult, and I have full faith in her and her ability to asses and react to dangerous situations. She is 8. My two younger ones? Not so sure. My husband tells me all of the time to let them walk alone now. I just can't. I walked to school when I was 8, but I lived on a military base. I was always with a ton of other kids. Mine would be to once out of my sub division. Cases like this scare the crap out of me. Something I will have to deal with. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:27 AM
The school called because the friends said she never showed.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm j/c did the school say why they were calling for hours? Did a friend she was supposed to meet mention they knew she was walking? Normally if my sons are absent they just call once, and leave a message if I didn't answer. I haven't followed the details of the case.

Quoting Anonymous:

The school was trying to call her for hours. I'm a single mom that works nights. I know how hard it is. I know how much it sucks to wake up to answer the phone. But when you have kids to worry about that's what you have to do.

Quoting mollysmom212:

yes  agreed plus she was ten and supposed to meet up with friends

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mollysmom212:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:27 AM

He knows it wasn't the mother's fault.

Quoting Anonymous:

Most of the criticism I've heard is not about her letting her kid walk alone, but not answering her phone. I agree with that. She could have picked up that phone and things could have potentially turned out very different. I would not be surprised that her dad hates that woman for life. I know I would if I were him.

Quoting Anonymous:

She only had 3 blocks to walk alone.  It's a little too late to say that now though.  I'm sure the mother is beating herself up enough without having people talk trash about her on the internet.  This is something that her family will never get over.  I just hope the person who did it is caught before they have an opportunity to hurt anyone else. 

DestinyHLewis
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:28 AM
Quoting 19bubbles91:

Just what our local newstation had (it has not been updated to say it was Jessica)

They announced it at a press conference earlier this evening. ;-(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:28 AM
That's a very good question too.

Quoting mollysmom212:

also wondering why school didn`t have an emergency number besides the  mom if she knew she would be sleeping?maybe dad or someone else?

Quoting Anonymous:

Most of the criticism I've heard is not about her letting her kid walk alone, but not answering her phone. I agree with that. She could have picked up that phone and things could have potentially turned out very different. I would not be surprised that her dad hates that woman for life. I know I would if I were him.

Quoting Anonymous:

She only had 3 blocks to walk alone.  It's a little too late to say that now though.  I'm sure the mother is beating herself up enough without having people talk trash about her on the internet.  This is something that her family will never get over.  I just hope the person who did it is caught before they have an opportunity to hurt anyone else. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I have experienced tragedy. Which is why I'm so damn protective and have back up plans just in case.

Quoting Anonymous:

It could happen to anyone.  You are not immune to tragedy.  Keep that in mind. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mollysmom212:

soon2bmommyof2
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:30 AM
My older two walk with their dad and he walks them all the way to their classrooms. They will never walk to or from school alone! Or anywhere alone for that matter! I may be a helicopter mom but you know what?! My kids WILL be safe!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)