Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

read about the girl being killed walking to school

Posted by   + Show Post

most people commenting on yahoo thought the mother should have not let her walk on her own...what do you do?how does your child (how old) get to school and what age to you think is ok for them to walk alone?

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:09 AM
Replies (51-60):
mollysmom212
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:37 AM

yes plus i doubt your teen would be to pleased if you walk him and tell him its to keep him safe....

Quoting JaimieLynn8:

I was walking to school alone at 9!

As devastating as this is, people can not put the blame on the mother! Not every parent can hold their child's hand and walk them to and from school/bus stop every day. And certainly not forever!
I truly doubt her mom let her walk alone and slept through a phone call in hopes that her child would be abducted and dismembered. People are sick.

Ashgambit
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I walk my daughter to the bus stop, and meet her there, or my husband will it.  She is not out of sight for a minute.  And I have followed the bus to the school before, and know that they go stright inside under adult supervision when they get there, and know they're supervised geting on the bus after school.  I will not let DD out of my sight for a second.  Even at the park, I have to be able to seeher at all times.  No exceptions.  DD is 6-years-old.  I don't know that I'll ever let her walk to school, no matter how close we live.  I personally don't think she should have been walking alone at that age, but at the same time, I don't think the mother should have blame for what a random psycho did.  Why brow beat her?  She's already going through enough. 

DestinyHLewis
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:39 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

There is a distinct difference in choosing not to answer the phone, and not hearing it because you were sleeping. Jessica's mom works the night shift. ;-(
mollysmom212
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:47 AM

i do believe every mom wants  her child safe and does what ever she can to make sure nobody can hurt him/her..those who can take their kids every day..you /your car could get hit... there is never a guarantee nothing will ever happen ...i think its sad to be so judgemental and blame the mom...surely she did not want this to happen...i don`t know why there was no other emergency contact...then again we had all communication  break down because of weather one day and  many kids were supposed to walk and parents couldn`t be contacted to come and get them..i have my home phone on and close and a cell with me if iam out .... some places i don`t get a signal...there are just so many why not and would haves and could haves...it was morning ..shouldn`t there have been people around going to work...when /how soon did her friends that she was supposed to meet  tell that she never showed...why did nobody show up at the moms house to check?...

Dayna29
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:47 AM
1 mom liked this

There are many times my phone doesn't ring nor I get a message until the next day. I don't know why my phone does that. But there should have been another number for them to call or they should have made call after call to get a hold of someone. The schools did that when I lived in the city when my daughter was sick at school and I didn't get the call. But I live in a small town now and I don't get a call when my kids don't show up. I call them in the afternoon when they are sick. But they don't call to check up. Maybe this needs to be addressed on how the schools should react about children not showing up. I've slept through phone call all the time. There are so many times I don't hear the phone. Its not at fault when you don't hear it. Sorry for the tragedy of the little girl. God bless her and her family as they grieve. But maybe this can be a turning point and a lesson learned on how to handle kids not showing up to school in the morning. I understand that there are a lot of kids, but maybe this can open up a job for someone also to check up on every kid that doesn't show up by a certain time. Hopefully there can be a new solution.

.gumdrop.
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:48 AM
Victim blaming...

No different than telling a rape victim she should have been plastered....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I am appalled at the meanness of some posts. This mom is NOT to blame for the actions of some Sicko.I wonder if it occurs to anyone that if it had not been Jessica, it easily could have been some other girl? Even though she walked alone, her mom is not to blame. She sure doesn't need anyone telling her so. I'm sure she's wracked with guilt, grief, wishing she could go back.
vermontmoms
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:52 AM
We live very close to this and It is truly sad and sick what happened. I can't imagine what the family is going through and what that poor child went through during the last hours of her life. I also cannot imagine someone mutilating a child. It is so sad!

For me, I am overprotective even before this incidence. What I don't get is how parents who receive letters from the school warning of a recent attempted abduction still let their kids walk alone. This letter was sent out to all families recently before Jessica was taken b/c of an attempted abduction a few days prior to Jessica being taken.

I know I am on high alert as are others especially b/c we live close to this area. That said, I still see parents that let their kids walk or bike alone. I pray nothing else happens and that no more kids are hurt.

Now about the call. It is policy that if the child doesn't show up by 9:30am the school calls anyone that didn't report an abscence or a tardy. They usually only make 1 call and leave a VM if parent is not reached.

Yes, now they will probably make sure they reach someone b/c of this local unsolved case but before this incidence that was not standard procudure.

Now about the age of when my kids can walk alone...honestly I can't say but it will definitely be late middle school age or later. Even then I can't say I will let my boys go alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:57 AM
It's sad. At 10 I was walkin to school and she was only walking a few blocks and meeting with friends and then continuing to school. I would thought it to be safe. But these days idk. My ds is only 6. I would probably let him walk at like 13 depending on the area we live in them. But ds knows what to do and is capable even at 6 of taking down an adult and getting away. Idc what you have to say about that that. Our ds is trained to be able to protect himself at any given time. He's already had to put his skills to the test. I posted on here that someone tried to take him not to long ago and he knew exactly what to do. Please also note that ds has severe ADHD and is much stronger than most children his age. He takes karate and they teach a class to the kids on how to take down adults if they need to and what to do if someone try's to take them. I think all kids should take a class like this you never know when they might need it.

It's horrible this happened. No parent should ever have to go threw this. I will continue to say prayers for this family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlemonaghan
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Nope, my kids wont walk alone to a shcool thats a mile away at 10 years old. 

It only takes watching the news one night...or an episode of SVU. No thanks..I know creeps are hiding behind every corner, I would rather not give them the chance to snatch my babies

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)