Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pumping SUCKS!

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:17 AM
  • 8 Replies

I HATE pumping. The whole point of breastfeeding (for me anyway) is convenience. But no here I am pumping because the freaking LC at the pedi's office made me feel like I was starving him and told me to supplement. My milk came in the NEXT DAY and then dried up. So now here I am pumping my brains out trying to get my supply back. 

Lesson learned (yet again) trust your instincts. 

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Maprinces3
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I understand your feelings, I too hated pumping. I wanted to BF all our children, but it did not quite work out that way. Our first child was born prematurely and I became septic after a crash C-section and almost died from complications and DD was not expected to live. The hospital would not allow me to pump and I had pretty much dried up by the time I was released from the hospital and got to the hospital DD was in the NICU in. Second daughter was a 34 weeker and I did pump and freeze and the NICU did give it to her in tube feedings and later with bottle, by the time she was able to feed on her own she refused my breast and would only bottle feed. She was losing weight so I had to supplement with formula so after a few weeks I gave up pumping. With our youngest, he was a 30 weeker and I started pumping right away and it was about 3 weeks before he was able to be put on my breast. Again like his sister he refused my breast after using the bottle in the hospital. That last time was painful for me and with 2 other children (one being 2 2/2 at the time) it took longer than I could give. Plus I developed mastitis and was so uncomfortable.

MichLW69
by PackersXLV4 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Fenugreek can help w your milk supply. I got it in tea form, it tastes nasty, so I'd put a lemon drop candy in it, to make it better. I had to go back to work @ 6 weeks & it was hard to pump, so my supply went way down. But the tea & pumping all the time brought it back up. Good luck, mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JDmommyJD
by ♥Awesome Sauce♥ on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Pumping does suck, no pun intended..lol. I had to pump the while time the twins were in they nicu..23 days of pumping enough for two. It was hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JDmommyJD
by ♥Awesome Sauce♥ on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes OP! Fenugreek really is a miracle.. I bought the pills (capsule form) from gnc..nothing to taste!

Quoting MichLW69:

Fenugreek can help w your milk supply. I got it in tea form, it tastes nasty, so I'd put a lemon drop candy in it, to make it better. I had to go back to work @ 6 weeks & it was hard to pump, so my supply went way down. But the tea & pumping all the time brought it back up. Good luck, mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:08 AM

I went back to work when DD was 3 weeks old and had to pump. it was hard when I only got a chance every so often..I would go in the bathroom at work and lock the door, turn on the warm water and get some soap and give each boob a good massage the milk would practically spray out....(yeah, I know...but I had to LOL) I had a good pump but It wouldn''t work without the stimulation.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:12 AM
I have to pump To have a large supply when I go back to work
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Pumping does suck, and its far more painful than just bfing. You can still get your supply back though. Get yourself some Mother's Milk tea, and fenugreek. Let you baby nurse on each side before you give a bottle, and continue pumping. Although I wouldn't over pump, that can ruin your supply.

Sorry you got bad advice. I did from my sons pedi and a lc. I was told I had to supplement, but I refused. I'm glad that I did because he never needed to be supplemented, and nursed for two years without issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:23 AM
I pumped for 11 mos for my DS, 4x a day. It is not fun! I hate washing bottles more than I hate pumping, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)