Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You don't have to

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Run to the er everytime your child throws up or has a fever. It's so annoying!! Flu viruses can not be cured with antibiotics. Your body has to fight it off.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Replies (31-40):
myperfect4inok
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:27 AM
And I don't really give a shit because while they are laughing it may be while I'm I'm there that my daughters heart starts racing or about the time the doctor walks in and says its time to life flight her if things don't change. Or it might be about the time her O2 stats start plummeting. So while it looks like a common cold its not and I will go to the ER from now on, skipping urgent care if its after hours so I only have one bill to pay, not to water $75 there for them to triage me in and immediately direct me to the ER.
So, yep I will go to the ER with a cold every damn time I feel as a parent its needed.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do;) and although everyone is probably really nice to you in the back of their mind they are probably thinking you are annoying as hell

Quoting myperfect4inok:

Well I hope you don't work in my ER cause I go to the ER for a cold with my daughter.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Ok I'm really tired and I don't want to be doing this but I will. The flu virus can cause puking depending on how your body reacts to it. I know what kind of infection it is. You immune system will sometimes cause vomiting as a line of defense. Just last night there was a boy that came in with only vomiting and tested positive for flu b. but yeah people come in with stomach bugs too and that's just as annoying.
Btw I refuse the flu shot for my kids and the only reason I get it is protocol for my job.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

You are talking about a stomach virus that people often call the "flu". That is not the flu. Flu is influenza which is a respiratory illness. Influenza can be fatal, especially in the young, old, or otherwise immune compromised.

When people get the flu vaccine, do you actually think they are trying to ward off stomach bugs? Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes a flu virus can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Different people respond differently to the virus.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Flu viruses don't make you vomit in the first place.

Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

LOL, I BET I KNOW WHERE THIS CAME FROM!! Your right parents of sick children should always stay home & google the internet or post on CM looking for medical advice that way when they really are fucking sick & then it becomes too late all hell can break loose & ppl will scream about why they should have taken them to the doctor. If my DD is sick, she's being seen. PERIOD. (:

Wow - high drama...

Our pediatrician has this nifty thing called "24 hour access" and if there is an issue in the "grey area" I don't have to ask CM, do nothing OR just run like wild to the ER.

I get to call and speak to the pediatrician to have an informed medical professional inform me on the best course of action.

The few times we have had some "possible ER" worthy situations, they could provide remedies that allowed me to keep my child home safely until the ped could see them in the am.
TrouserMouse
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:31 AM
So, if a young child has influenza and they are so sick that they are actually vomiting because their body is being ravaged by and reacting to a virus that thousands and thousands die from each year, you do not feel they need to be seen. Smart.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok I'm really tired and I don't want to be doing this but I will. The flu virus can cause puking depending on how your body reacts to it. I know what kind of infection it is. You immune system will sometimes cause vomiting as a line of defense. Just last night there was a boy that came in with only vomiting and tested positive for flu b. but yeah people come in with stomach bugs too and that's just as annoying.

Btw I refuse the flu shot for my kids and the only reason I get it is protocol for my job.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

You are talking about a stomach virus that people often call the "flu". That is not the flu. Flu is influenza which is a respiratory illness. Influenza can be fatal, especially in the young, old, or otherwise immune compromised.

When people get the flu vaccine, do you actually think they are trying to ward off stomach bugs? Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes a flu virus can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Different people respond differently to the virus.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pce68
by Patti on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I only go to the ER if she is throwing up so much that I think she is dehydrated. One time when my dd was 2 she had a stomach virus and just couldn't stop throwing up. The nurse advice line said take her to the ER bc she was getting dehydrated. But for most instances we just wait it out at home. Besides I hate spending hours in the hospital. I know we would both be more comfortable at home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:32 AM
This happens to you a lot? Because its not a common cold when your o2 Sats are plummeting or her heart is racing from not being able to catch air.

Quoting myperfect4inok:

And I don't really give a shit because while they are laughing it may be while I'm I'm there that my daughters heart starts racing or about the time the doctor walks in and says its time to life flight her if things don't change. Or it might be about the time her O2 stats start plummeting. So while it looks like a common cold its not and I will go to the ER from now on, skipping urgent care if its after hours so I only have one bill to pay, not to water $75 there for them to triage me in and immediately direct me to the ER.

So, yep I will go to the ER with a cold every damn time I feel as a parent its needed.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do;) and although everyone is probably really nice to you in the back of their mind they are probably thinking you are annoying as hell

Quoting myperfect4inok:

Well I hope you don't work in my ER cause I go to the ER for a cold with my daughter.

alexxxxx
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Wait, you think people are going to celebrate having health insurance by ... going to the ER? The place where they didn't have to pay to be seen all along? 

Quoting Anonymous:

It's going to be worse after the obamacare goes into effect, the ER's are gonna be way over clogged with people going for bullshit reasons just because now they coverage. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Yes. Dehydration is an emergency , I agree.

Quoting pce68:

I only go to the ER if she is throwing up so much that I think she is dehydrated. One time when my dd was 2 she had a stomach virus and just couldn't stop throwing up. The nurse advice line said take her to the ER bc she was getting dehydrated. But for most instances we just wait it out at home. Besides I hate spending hours in the hospital. I know we would both be more comfortable at home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Someone with a healthy immune system will not likely die from the flu. If you have a pre existing condition, like HIV, asthma, COPD etc , yes you should be seen. That is different. You can pick up a nice pamphlet from your local ER called "When to seek medical attention immedietely" if you're confused.

Quoting TrouserMouse:

So, if a young child has influenza and they are so sick that they are actually vomiting because their body is being ravaged by and reacting to a virus that thousands and thousands die from each year, you do not feel they need to be seen. Smart.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TrouserMouse:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting TrouserMouse:

lilbit04
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:38 AM
Alright then so what's the big deal? If my 2 yr old is running a fever and I can't get it down, you bet your ass ill be taking him to the ER. I'm not one of those moms that takes him just bc he has a cough, that's what they make dr appt for, but if its severe enough I'm. It taking chances.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. I work there. Thank you.

Quoting lilbit04:

You do realize they see the extremely ill/injured first?

Quoting Anonymous:

My concern is that it clogs the ER and takes attention and time away from actual emergencies. In some cases their bills do not get paid at all, so the hospital foots the bill for my time, the doctors time, and any medical equipment used during your "emergency"

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Unless you are paying the ER bill, I don't see how it is any concern of yours.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN