Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help! My kids are too sensitive

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM
  • 51 Replies
Hi ladies...I'm posting here because I know I'll get honest answers...
I am an overly sensitive person. I wear my heart on my sleeve, big time. My feelings are easily hurt (irl!) and I tend to take criticism straight to my heart. I have very low self esteem and am trying my best to raise my children with confidence and a healthy self image. Easier said than done when I don't have it my self! My husband is very secure, outgoing and confident. I was hoping they would pick that up from him but it seems they have mom's sensitivity.
When my children are corrected they crumble. They are super sweet and very sympathetic to others, which I love, but I am concerned for them. I am afraid for them to go through life the way I have, being so hurt, so easily.
What can I do to help them gain a thicker skin without stripping them of their sweet nature?
Anyone else have sensitive kids and how do you handle it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hp2011
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM

my now 16yo sister was suuuuuuuuuuper sensitive when she was little. 

she just kind of grew out of it.

lauraschatz
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM
I hope that will be the case with my kids!

Quoting hp2011:

my now 16yo sister was suuuuuuuuuuper sensitive when she was little. 

she just kind of grew out of it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Neither of mine are very sensitive. Occasionally they are, usually that's when I tell them there's nothing to be hurt over.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Dd is super sensitive to everything everyone says and she is TERRIFIED of everything. I mean everything. She went with my brother to spend the night last night and now mind you she is 9 1/2 not a small toddler anymore and he has a loud truck and she would barely get in it bc she was so scared but she did (she must have really wanted to go) i told her if she was scared she could stay here and didn't have to go. As they pulled out i could see her crying bc she was scared but idk what else to do. I am at a wits end. She is scared of ants,flies, noises, dark, if her hair touches her skin the wrong way. And if anyone says anything to her she takes it the wrong way. You can't play with her like tickle her or anything she gets mad. Doesn't want to be touched most of the time and if you say something that normally should not hurt someones feelings she will crumble and start crying. I don't understand all this myself and i am too hoping she will grow out of this. She won't watch fireworks bc she's terrified of them. I am at wits end and can't take much more. She won't do anything you ask her and lies all the time no matter how much or many different punishments she is told will happen... I have a almost 4 year old son and he is not like this at all or isn't now and wasn't and hasn't been but occasionally if she is around and afraid he will be too bc he see's her doing it. She will hurt him and say she hasn't. I mean honestly i just can't let them be in the same room together and don't 90% of the time bc of all these issues. I don't want him to pick up on all this from her or for him to be hurt by her. Idk what else to do. I can't let me younger child end up like this or be hurt by her. So all i know to do is keep them apart bc no punishment works for her we have tried it all. Sorry kind of off the original subject kind of but i do understand on what you are saying on the emotional part. I just wish i could be of some more help to you.

lauraschatz
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Oh my goodness Mama! Sounds like you are having a harder time than me! My kids are sensitive and shy but they aren't really afraid the way you describe your daughter. Have you talked to her doc? It almost sounds to me like she may have a sensory issue. If she does, you could probably get some help with her behaviors.
Good luck to you!

Quoting Anonymous:

Dd is super sensitive to everything everyone says and she is TERRIFIED of everything. I mean everything. She went with my brother to spend the night last night and now mind you she is 9 1/2 not a small toddler anymore and he has a loud truck and she would barely get in it bc she was so scared but she did (she must have really wanted to go) i told her if she was scared she could stay here and didn't have to go. As they pulled out i could see her crying bc she was scared but idk what else to do. I am at a wits end. She is scared of ants,flies, noises, dark, if her hair touches her skin the wrong way. And if anyone says anything to her she takes it the wrong way. You can't play with her like tickle her or anything she gets mad. Doesn't want to be touched most of the time and if you say something that normally should not hurt someones feelings she will crumble and start crying. I don't understand all this myself and i am too hoping she will grow out of this. She won't watch fireworks bc she's terrified of them. I am at wits end and can't take much more. She won't do anything you ask her and lies all the time no matter how much or many different punishments she is told will happen... I have a almost 4 year old son and he is not like this at all or isn't now and wasn't and hasn't been but occasionally if she is around and afraid he will be too bc he see's her doing it. She will hurt him and say she hasn't. I mean honestly i just can't let them be in the same room together and don't 90% of the time bc of all these issues. I don't want him to pick up on all this from her or for him to be hurt by her. Idk what else to do. I can't let me younger child end up like this or be hurt by her. So all i know to do is keep them apart bc no punishment works for her we have tried it all. Sorry kind of off the original subject kind of but i do understand on what you are saying on the emotional part. I just wish i could be of some more help to you.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauraschatz
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:43 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauraschatz
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:43 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauraschatz
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauraschatz
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM
maybe I shall try again later on...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelenia
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:49 PM
that is what i was thinking as well. my 5 yr old ds and i both have major sensory processing difficulties and get overwhelmed easily. i wear ear plugs 90 % of the time to block out all the extraneous sound my brain can't filter

Quoting lauraschatz:

Oh my goodness Mama! Sounds like you are having a harder time than me! My kids are sensitive and shy but they aren't really afraid the way you describe your daughter. Have you talked to her doc? It almost sounds to me like she may have a sensory issue. If she does, you could probably get some help with her behaviors.

Good luck to you!

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)