Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Step Mom VS Step Dad

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

Whats the difference between a step mom and a step dad? The bio moms always tend to slander the step moms. rarely, but does happen, that the step dads get slandered by the bio dads. But why so much hatred towards step moms when step dads are doing the same thing? Step parents are just that. Parents by marriage. A parent is someone who loves and care for a child and helps to raise them.  a step dad does the same thing as a step mom.

Is it because women are more emotional? or is it the "golden uterus syndrome"? I pushed the child out of my vagina, I'm the only woman who will parent them?

Why cant we all get along for the sake of the children?

(except in other instances where yes, the other household is unstable, then the bitching is warranted.)

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amanda_mom89
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:11 PM
I don't view being a stepparent as a "parent by marriage." I didn't gain any parental rights to my stepdaughter when I married her father.

I think two reasons you hear more about stepmoms is because (1) this is a site for moms.. No dads here to have their say.

(2) it's just a difference in the sexes and the way they operate. But you can bet there are plenty of BFs and SFs that don't get along.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happy-go-lucky
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Because it is assumed that the bio mom and step dad are the primary parents. So the dad and step mom are less important. And that the step dad has all the normal fatherhood rights because he is with the kids a lot, but a step mom is just interfering because the cant know the kids as well as the bio mom does.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ramita
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM
I dunno i've wondered this very often. My ss's bm put my dh down every chance she got, but her boyfriend was 'the real father' as far as she was concerned. Now that they are separated he's a POS and she's throws a bitch fit when my dh lets her ex see ss. I think women that act like this (unless truly justified) just kinda believe every not with her is against her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:13 PM
I think it is a woman thing. My s/o is my son's stepdad and he disciplines my child like his own but I would not allow another woman to do it. For good mother's your children are ur everything and no other woman can take my place but other men can take place of a dead beat dad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:15 PM
My ex husband hates my husband purely on the basis that he married me. Even after 3 years, he refuses to accept the fact that the kids live him and want him involved in their lives.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM

i have no idea why there is a difference. my parents divorced when i was little and my mom remarried and my step dad we called him by his name he had no say in anything with us, he'd talk to my mom and if my mom thought it was right than she'd do it but he didn't really care about us all so much, if we bad mouthed him he was allowed to tell us to go to our rooms. my dad however dated this chick who wanted my dad to marry her and kept trying to act like she was my mom. she'd make us go by her rules regardless of how many times my mom would have a conversation with her about how she needed to back the fuck off. she tried to force her views on us in every aspect of life and that pissed my mom off. it pissed my dad off too but he was a guy thinking with his little head my brother ignored her and i was a smart ass to her, i was 9-10 then they broke up when she told my dad he should slap me when i did something wrong.

xXxLillithxXx
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Yeah I think its because moms have more of an emotional connection with their children. Can't explain it but I definitely do. It would have really bothered me had my ex demanded to see kaden and bring him around his many trashy chicks. It would have killed me if kaden had ever called someone else mom. My ex doesn't have anything to do with our son so I don't have to worry about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM

bump. What about the moms who allow the step dad to be called dad, but if the child called the step mom mom, its a big issue? Is it there again, the emotional aspects of things? wouldnt you think the dad would have some hurt feeling about that too? especially if he is a part of the childs life?

cupcake_mom
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM

because women are in general more insecure. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I think men think more rationally then women do they also care about if the kids needs are met versus any other insane competition. The only time I have ever heard a man complain about a step dad was if the kid was calling the other dad, or if his child wasn't getting what it needs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN