Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My DS is loosing his best friend

Posted by   + Show Post
:'(

We just had one of the worst play date ever. Unfortunately all of our play dates with DS best friend have been bad lately.

I think they are growing apart.

This was his first best friend that he made all by himself. His first few friends were children of my friends. But this was a little boy he met at daycare back when I was still working. I remember being so excited when he came home talking about his best friend!

His mom and I started getting to know each other at drop offs and pick ups and before I knew it we were seeing each other several times a week outside of daycare.

We even made sure to see each other once a week after I decided to become a SAHM. But we were pretty much delaying the inevitable.

Our boys are just so different and not to mention our parenting styles are polar opposite.

After our last bad play fate we decided to give the kids some space from each other. So we skipped out weekly play date last week.

So we figured since its been so long maybe the boys would have fun together again... Nope

We met at the park so mutual ground.. And honestly the other kid ignored my DS the whole time and whined and complained about being there. My DS had more fun with the strangers kids. Which is fine becuase my DS is such a friendly kid he makes friends every where we go in like 2 seconds.

Today while at the park the other mom told me that her DS has started saying that he had a new best friend at school.

Actually the little kid even told my DS he had a new best friend. I was really shocked he would say that an I was kinda worried about my DS feelings but DS responded with "well so I gots a new puppy and a new house!"

We are moving soon. Not far just 30 minutes away, but I don't think I'm going to put forth the effort to keep the friendship alive after we move.

I hope we are going to start going to church (my mom really wants us to go with her). The church we might start going to as a really large children's program so maybe DS can meet some new friends there. I also hope to find a SAHMs group.

Even though my DS doesn't seem too upset now, I know he will ask about his friend. I hope that maybe he will find a new best friend soon.

Still it is his first best friend... I kinda hoped they would stayed friends forever just like me and my first best friend... But there is a small part of me that is relieved because his mom drives me nuts. I don't agree with her parenting at all. But I always kept my mouth shut and was polite because our kid enjoyed each others company and had fun together.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Replies (11-16):
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Okay I'm bawling!!!

I'm glad to know he will eventually get over it.

Quoting trebelcleff:

Ah, the sad moments in our children's lives.  My oldest developed a friendship with a little boy at his preschool when he was only three.  They were practically soul mates.  After the year was over, the little boy left and didn't return to the school the next year.  My son's heart actually broke a little (he started to cry one evening at dinner several months after not seeing his friend, and when I asked him what was wrong he said "I can't remember my friend's name anymore!" with a wail... I think my heart broke that day).  I saw his friend recently when we were at McD's for a treat... they didn't even recognize each other and played with the other kids instead.  My heart hurt for my son's lose and because he didn't even remember his little soul mate.  It made me very sad, but at the same time I'm glad he no longer feels that loss.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:46 PM
Yes and soon he will have a new little brother and a new baby sister. Both his step mom and I are expecting and due at the same time. (I know weird).

Now I'm even more ready to move!

Quoting Anonymous:

I think you are more upset than your son. Once you guys move he will be so busy adjusting and meeting new people, he wont even notice. Like he said, he "gots a new puppy and a new house!". You guys will be fine :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM
I was in AWANAS as a kid and I am pretty sure the church we will be attending uses that program. But I've never heard of MOPS?

Now that I'm a SAHM I definitely plan on wing very involved.

Also I know on the spring he will start t-ball which will be another avenue to meet new friends and ones with more of interests. His current friend has no interests in sports where as DS seems as if he was born to play ball. The kid talks about baseball in his sleep! And I plan on coaching his team so we will both get to branch out!

Quoting jimi2626:

It sounds like both kids have just grown apart. Nothing to be too sad about. Your DS will make lots of new friends :) If you join the church I DEFINITELY recommend joining a MOPS group. Or AWANAS. I have made TONS of mommy friends through my church (I am actually a paid coordinator for MOPS) My sons has also made lots of friends in Sunday school and MOPS! Its nice because I know the moms well enough to WANT my DS to have play dates with their children. On another note my BFF who I have known since middle school had her DS 2 days after me (total coincidence) we were sure our sons would be BFF. They are 5 now and have never gotten along. Kids like adults just Sometimes don't click!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Glad I'm not the only one! So how long did it take you to get over it?

Quoting km1970:

I remember when my dd and her best friend grew apart...I think I was more hurt than my daughter was.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jimi2626
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:18 PM
MOPS stands for Mothers of Pre schoolers. It is really for moms with kids age birth-till about 2nd grade. You meet everyweek or bi weekly. The kiddos get to play for a couple hours (with paid childcare workers who are screened and background checked) they also do fun activities. The moms have coffee, talk, do Bible study, have guest speakers TONS of different stuff!! Its a blast for kids and moms!!

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I was in AWANAS as a kid and I am pretty sure the church we will be attending uses that program. But I've never heard of MOPS?

Also I know on the spring he will start t-ball which will be another avenue to meet new friends and ones with more of interests. His current friend has no interests in sports where as DS seems as if he was born to play ball. The kid talks about baseball in his sleep! And I plan on coaching his team so we will both get to branch out!

Quoting jimi2626:

It sounds like both kids have just grown apart. Nothing to be too sad about. Your DS will make lots of new friends :) If you join the church I DEFINITELY recommend joining a MOPS group. Or AWANAS. I have made TONS of mommy friends through my church (I am actually a paid coordinator for MOPS) My sons has also made lots of friends in Sunday school and MOPS! Its nice because I know the moms well enough to WANT my DS to have play dates with their children. On another note my BFF who I have known since middle school had her DS 2 days after me (total coincidence) we were sure our sons would be BFF. They are 5 now and have never gotten along. Kids like adults just Sometimes don't click!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Kinda of like mothers morning out?

Quoting jimi2626:

MOPS stands for Mothers of Pre schoolers. It is really for moms with kids age birth-till about 2nd grade. You meet everyweek or bi weekly. The kiddos get to play for a couple hours (with paid childcare workers who are screened and background checked) they also do fun activities. The moms have coffee, talk, do Bible study, have guest speakers TONS of different stuff!! Its a blast for kids and moms!!

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting jimi2626:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN