Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kitty lovers help please

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have a cat who is completely declawed sad I know I didn't do it anyways she doesn't poop in her litter box any ideas? Btw she did when we first got her but after a week she started pooping in hallway and has ever since.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Replies (21-26):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:32 PM
I have nothing against declawed cats but I don't like that her back claws are done. Her poop is kind of hard

Quoting Destiny907:

I have owned A LOT of cats over the many years. I'm 60..... I've had probably 10 cats over my life. ALL HAVE BEEN DECLAWED.   I don't feel one bit guilty over it either. It gave them a great long long lifetime in a good home with us.  They ruined far too much to let them be in and have those claws, sorry.

But, the declaw did not make any one of them stop using the box.  When they were recovering, we just used shredded newspaper. Then went back to the usual.

When they began to do odd potty things, I would observe everything.  I discovered I could NOT own more than two cats at a time, it seems 3 would trigger peeing, marking in the house!

My current cat was pooping out of the pan- I watched him close, his stools were too hard, he would begin in the pan, then leave it, still trying to defecate.

He is on a more canned food now than kibble, and he gets a small daily maintainence dose of Miralax which keeps his stools the right consistency. 

He stopped pooping in the hallway!  I keep the pans super super clean too.

Good luck! you will figure it out, just sleuth..

Melanie420
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I didnt know the back ones hurt more...poor kitty. I just got a kitten and we got her declawed, shes using yesterdays news right now but I thought it was for the spayed cut because when I was younger I dont remember my cats using a different litter after getting declwed. It never seemed to bother them

Quoting TurtleSquish:

some vets still do :( they shouldn't, but they do. That is much more invasive than the front and causes a lot of pain

Quoting Melanie420:

I only had my cats front paws, I didnt know they even did the back ones, they still have to scratch

Quoting TurtleSquish:

some kitties still have pain, especially if their back paws are done. it's not unheard of...my kitten wouldn't touch the box that had clay in it after his declaw, but doesn't mind it at all now

Quoting Melanie420:

My cats are declaed and never had a problem with using the litter box. One of my cats went on the floor just for the hell of it cause she was a dumbass, their paws heal

Quoting Anonymous:

She doesn't like the litter because its hurting her paws. They make a special litter for declawed cats.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:34 PM
I know I was super shocked when we got her but she is between 6-8 yrs

Quoting TurtleSquish:

some vets still do :( they shouldn't, but they do. That is much more invasive than the front and causes a lot of pain

Quoting Melanie420:

I only had my cats front paws, I didnt know they even did the back ones, they still have to scratch

Quoting TurtleSquish:

some kitties still have pain, especially if their back paws are done. it's not unheard of...my kitten wouldn't touch the box that had clay in it after his declaw, but doesn't mind it at all now

Quoting Melanie420:

My cats are declaed and never had a problem with using the litter box. One of my cats went on the floor just for the hell of it cause she was a dumbass, their paws heal

Quoting Anonymous:

She doesn't like the litter because its hurting her paws. They make a special litter for declawed cats.

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM

See I only have one cat now but have had cats all of my short life too.

When I was little the cats were declawed, but I use soft claws on my cat now, since he has a nasty habit of getting outside for weeks at a time even though hes indoor only. (His claws HAVE saved his life!)

My cat shits in the box non freaking stop. We call him Prince Poops-A-Lot

The few times hes gone outside the box it was because the box was too dirty or because one of the dogs wouldn't let him near the box.

If you have other cats OP that may be it.

I can go without scooping poop for about a week (I have two litter boxes that hold 30lbs of litter each...) and he is fine. If I push that, hes not happy.

I use all different kinds of litters, but he has his claws. He doesn't seem to like clay non scoopable kinds, but will use it in a pinch. I use Crystal kitty litter (Fresh Step Crystals) and it helps a LOT.

My cat can poop in his hooded litter box and my apartment will stink! *Gag*

Quoting Destiny907:

I have owned A LOT of cats over the many years. I'm 60..... I've had probably 10 cats over my life. ALL HAVE BEEN DECLAWED.   I don't feel one bit guilty over it either. It gave them a great long long lifetime in a good home with us.  They ruined far too much to let them be in and have those claws, sorry.

But, the declaw did not make any one of them stop using the box.  When they were recovering, we just used shredded newspaper. Then went back to the usual.

When they began to do odd potty things, I would observe everything.  I discovered I could NOT own more than two cats at a time, it seems 3 would trigger peeing, marking in the house!

My current cat was pooping out of the pan- I watched him close, his stools were too hard, he would begin in the pan, then leave it, still trying to defecate.

He is on a more canned food now than kibble, and he gets a small daily maintainence dose of Miralax which keeps his stools the right consistency. 

He stopped pooping in the hallway!  I keep the pans super super clean too.

Good luck! you will figure it out, just sleuth..

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Yep. Its a good idea to leave back claws for self defense/tree climbing in the event of an escape or accident.

Most vets wont do back paws anymore. I havent heard of a vet that will do back claws in probably 15 years!

Quoting Melanie420:

I didnt know the back ones hurt more...poor kitty. I just got a kitten and we got her declawed, shes using yesterdays news right now but I thought it was for the spayed cut because when I was younger I dont remember my cats using a different litter after getting declwed. It never seemed to bother them

Quoting TurtleSquish:

Quoting Melanie420:

Quoting TurtleSquish:

Quoting Melanie420:

Quoting Anonymous:

TurtleSquish
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM

yeah poor kitties. My kitten wouldn't go in the clay box, but the other 3 cats we had apparently never had any issues. At first we weren't sure what was going on, but we figured it out pretty easily and didn't have potty issues after that :)

Quoting Melanie420:

Quoting TurtleSquish:

Quoting Melanie420:

Quoting TurtleSquish:

Quoting Melanie420:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)