Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How To Talk To Your Kids About What Happened To Jessica Ridgeway

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Replies (11-19):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Yes it's never too early.  Some people don't really know how to go about it, so that's why I posted the link. I say it should start at birth.  Just like baby-proofing....stranger-proofing.

Quoting lnlsmommy:

Well I don't want to sound bitchy.....BUT I've been educating my girls for a very long time about strangers. Its a shame that people want to wait until something bad happens, then start talking to their kids. BTW to the lady with the 2 year old....uhm no its not to early to teach them about strangers....just saying.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I think it's good to tell other kids too, not just your own.  If it's reinforced from other adult extended family members it is all the better.

Quoting singlemom1208:

We do role play sometimes. He's still pretty young. Tell my nieces and nephews its ok to break the rules if someone's trying to take you. Yell, scream, bite, kick ect. Another tip is to scream "you're not my daddy/mommy"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I posted an informative link.  I didn't order anyone to read it.  If she didn't think it applied to her there is no need to tell me "no" she won't.  That was rude of her IMO. Really you women can make drama out of anything.  I'm focused on putting out information that could save other kids.  I could care less about bickering with you over nonsense. 

Quoting jynkx:

why are you being insulting to her?  she simply replies to your post and she wasnt being snarky at all.  

Quoting Anonymous:

This is for theintelligent moms of CM.  If it doesn't apply to you feel free to pass right on by.   

Quoting tddncw2010:

No. My son is only 2

lnlsmommy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:06 PM
I agree wholeheartedly!! Ive been teaching since early on with both my girls.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes it's never too early.  Some people don't really know how to go about it, so that's why I posted the link. I say it should start at birth.  Just like baby-proofing....stranger-proofing.

Quoting lnlsmommy:

Well I don't want to sound bitchy.....BUT I've been educating my girls for a very long time about strangers. Its a shame that people want to wait until something bad happens, then start talking to their kids. BTW to the lady with the 2 year old....uhm no its not to early to teach them about strangers....just saying.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:07 PM
True. They might not have a chance if someone is serious about taking them. But there is a chance for them to get away if they do fight. There is no chance if they never fight.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hopefully her murderer will be bought to justice. I understand that her mom worked nights and slept in, but I just can't wrap my mind around letting my 10 year old walk alone to meet up with friends to walk to school. Sadly, I've seen kids where I live that appear to be younger than 10 walking alone or waiting for a the school bus with no parent/adult in sight. And you can talk to you're blue in the face about stranger danger to a child- most kids have almost no chance of getting away from a monster that has their mind set on grabbing them. God it makes me sick and angry to think about the monsters that walk amongst us-UGGGGHHH!!! 

lauren.m
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:49 PM
I havent talked to them about jessica or any other kidnapped/murdered child. I have taught them about strangers and how there are sick people who will steal them then hurt and kill them. I start teaching them stranger danger as soon as they can walk. I also teach them about private parts being private to everyone but me when i help them clean themselves and how noone else is allowed to touch there.
littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:28 PM

It is never too early to speak to kids about stranger danger, even age 2.  I have never stopped talking to my dd about it, and she is 15

honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I've never heard of her before. I guess I don't watch enough TV.

MeAndTommyLee
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Nothing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)