Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are the chances?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Of a 26 year old having a heart attack? I'm having chest pains, not so bad when I lay down & my pulse is a little fast, but steady. There is heart disease in my family.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:26 PM
Replies (11-17):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Might be heartburn, or if you have hyperthyroidism, your thyroid hormone could be too high and causing heart palpitations. 

BUT...if you are afraid that it might be a heart problem, then go to the ER or a doctor & get checked out to be certain. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Ok. So far the pains have been gone for about 30-45 minutes now. I get the shortness of breath often, but I always figured it's because I'm a smoker. Fatigue is a big thing with me, but I average 5-6 hours of sleep a night, sometimes less. It's been like that for 4 years or so. Have you ever had someone painfully squeeze your calf? My pains were feeling like that, but right beneath my left breast. I also tend to be slightly low on iron..not sure if that matters greatly.. I will look into getting my heart checked out, just to see what my chances are of heart disease. I'm actually fairly small in stature & weight, but I know that I could still have high cholesterol..so I will ask my doctor about it. Until then, I'm going to take an aspirin a day as a preventative measure. Does anyone know what kind of testing might be done? I would like to be prepared. The chest pains happen at least once every few weeks, but tonight it was extremely painful compared to the norm & it lasted longer.
bcauseimthemom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I'd say that it is just as likely as it would be for just about anyone else considering your family history.  How is the rest of your health?? Are you overweight? Do you exercise regularly? DO you smoke??

I would get to urgent care if the pain continued, better safe than sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM
I'm 5'4" & weigh about 135 lbs. I do smoke. I rarely exercise (I know I should, my "get up & go" left me behind after baby #2). Healthwise, I'm prone to common colds & yeast infections, but that's about it. I'm actually fairly healthy for the most part though. I'll call my clinic on Monday to set up an appt, unless the pains come back before then.

Quoting bcauseimthemom:

I'd say that it is just as likely as it would be for just about anyone else considering your family history.  How is the rest of your health?? Are you overweight? Do you exercise regularly? DO you smoke??

I would get to urgent care if the pain continued, better safe than sorry.

momma-flynn
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Since you have a family history, I would go get checked out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilasmommy418
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM
My mother's father died at 24 of a heart attack.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Birdie100
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I suggest anytime anything like this is going on go see a doctor.  You can never be too careful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured