Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Rocky mountain oysters...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
A very good friend of mine admitted to me that she ordered rocky mountain oysters because she honestly thought that she was ordering oysters. Needless to say I about choked on my coffee due to busting up laughing at her.

What is the craziest food you have ever eaten?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM
Replies (51-60):
VarelaClan
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM
I haven't really eaten anything weird. I don't eat meat, not even as a kid. That limits my craziness to cheeses maybe. I guess I had a cheese with blueberries in it. It was disgusting by the way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-flynn
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Mine called me all excited because according to her its a diet food lol. My grocery store started carrying fresh tongue & I asked dh if he wanted me to try making tacos. I want my dh to go buy me some cabrito. I've been craving it.

Quoting risa_alvarez:

My MIL loves them! I didn't even knew that she makes it all the time, she was afraid to offer me some because "only Mexican people eat them." Lol. She thinks that I'll get grossed out by her food. I'm waiting for her to make some more so I can try it.

Quoting momma-flynn:

Nopalitos are good. My mil always has them at her house.

Quoting risa_alvarez:

Balut, alligator, emu, javelina. I grew up eating a lot of wild game. Now I eat a lot of cheap cuts of meat like tripa and lengua (tongue). One thing I want to try but just haven't yet is nopalitos (cactus).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Quoting Cymbeline:

My grandmother was born and raised in Wilmington, Delaware. I grew up in New Castle, Delaware.
Cymbeline
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Cymbeline:

My grandmother was born and raised in Wilmington, Delaware. I grew up in New Castle, Delaware.

I live in Pennsylvania.

Those types of foods were more common in this area a generation or so ago.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Quoting risa_alvarez:

Also I've had rattlesnake (at the RattleSnake Roundup in Sweetwater, Tx), bison, huitlacoche(sp?), lots of different organs from different animals, roasted crickets, candied worms. I had an interesting childhood.

My first Thanksgiving with my stepfather's family they served turkey hearts and the other various organs included with the fresh turkey that was cooked. I had to admit the Hearst did not exactly thrill me but the turkey and giblet gravy was awesome.
risa_alvarez
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I love goat!!! So good cooked low and slow. My dads family raised goats and rabbit so we always had some in the deep freeze. It's hard to find down here and when you do find it it's ridicously expensive.

We can always find fresh tongue and tripas here, but we have a large Hispanic community here (more than 95% of the population). Now I want rabbit and cabrito!

Quoting momma-flynn:

Mine called me all excited because according to her its a diet food lol. My grocery store started carrying fresh tongue & I asked dh if he wanted me to try making tacos. I want my dh to go buy me some cabrito. I've been craving it.

Quoting risa_alvarez:

My MIL loves them! I didn't even knew that she makes it all the time, she was afraid to offer me some because "only Mexican people eat them." Lol. She thinks that I'll get grossed out by her food. I'm waiting for her to make some more so I can try it.

Quoting momma-flynn:

Nopalitos are good. My mil always has them at her house.

Quoting risa_alvarez:

Balut, alligator, emu, javelina. I grew up eating a lot of wild game. Now I eat a lot of cheap cuts of meat like tripa and lengua (tongue). One thing I want to try but just haven't yet is nopalitos (cactus).

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM
[quote name="Cymbeline" id="0"][/

I believe it. My grandmother passed away last year. She was 95 years old.
Destiny907
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I tried alligator, yuck.   Tried oysters, yuck.   Rabbit- tasted like chicken, it was good.  When I was little, I used to eat duck blood soup, and blood sausage- standard polish fare, and I liked it.  Have not eaten such since Gramma passed on. NO one can make it like she did.

OH we used to eat cow tongue, too-it was GOOD. so were sweetbreads, the way my mother made them.

risa_alvarez
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM

My mom always makes giblet gravy for Thanksgiving. And every few years she makes a chicken liver mousse for hour's deovers (I'm sure I butchered the spelling).  When we lived overseas she would always buy pints of blood and make blood sausage.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting risa_alvarez:

Also I've had rattlesnake (at the RattleSnake Roundup in Sweetwater, Tx), bison, huitlacoche(sp?), lots of different organs from different animals, roasted crickets, candied worms. I had an interesting childhood.

My first Thanksgiving with my stepfather's family they served turkey hearts and the other various organs included with the fresh turkey that was cooked. I had to admit the Hearst did not exactly thrill me but the turkey and giblet gravy was awesome.

Cymbeline
by Gold Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

[quote name="Cymbeline" id="0"][/

I believe it. My grandmother passed away last year. She was 95 years old.

Sorry for your loss.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)