Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How I think CPS should work.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
4 moms liked this
Disclaimer: this is in a perfect world situation. I know it will never happen but I can dream.

Disclaimer two: I am not talking about the children who are abused or harmed in anyway. I am skmpily talking about the children who get taken away because the parents can't afford to give them the bare nessesities.

Disclaimer 3: I live in Canada so it may be different? But the only difference I know of is we call it MCFD.

Okay so I did a practicum at MCFD and this is one of the biggest problems I saw. (Especially on First Nation reserves but that's a bigger problem.

So we give the parents a certain amount of money to take care of the children (if any at all) the amount is small and not livable at all. So we come in take the children and give them to a foster home. The foster home may be way better off to start with or it could be lower down you never know. We give them this cheque that is bigger then the parents was.

Why why why do we do that?

In my perfect world we would give the bigger cheque to the parents. We would have a social worker visiting that home teaching the parents how to take care of their kids (people don't always know!) also the social worker could help them find cheap healthy food. our community has a good food box program. $20 for a box of fruit and veggies from local farmers that lasts a month! why are we not taking advantage if that! If they dont have a car then the social worker should help them get bus passes at a discount. they would have to attend parenting classes (which we need better ones. The ones in place are awful)

In short terms instead of reacting to these "horrible parents" who can't take care of their children. Why don't we use the resources that are already in place to help them.

That's my rant for the day.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaNdYbEaR2010
by *Manda* on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with your rant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Yay thank you. My mom was a social worker before me and her and I came up with this idea together. I know there are some flaws but I think the system now is hugely flawed. I really do think the best interest for the child in a lot of cases is to be with the parents.

Quoting MaNdYbEaR2010:

I agree with your rant.

MaNdYbEaR2010
by *Manda* on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Of course, with your disclaimers in place. Lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yay thank you. My mom was a social worker before me and her and I came up with this idea together. I know there are some flaws but I think the system now is hugely flawed. I really do think the best interest for the child in a lot of cases is to be with the parents.

Quoting MaNdYbEaR2010:

I agree with your rant.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:28 PM
I know I could just see 100 replies of "that would never work"

Quoting MaNdYbEaR2010:

Of course, with your disclaimers in place. Lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MaNdYbEaR2010:

I agree with your rant.

krayzbabylove
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Quoting MaNdYbEaR2010:

I agree with your rant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trebelcleff
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I agree as well... I never understood why foster parents get a check to raise a perfectly capable parent's children just because that parent can't afford the necessities... the parent should definitely get that check instead.  There is a lot of circular logic in place in the systems that needs to be addressed.

P.N._Guin
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:32 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with this!
I would also love to see some classes available to struggling families.
Money managememt/budgeting, nitrition, couponing, energy saving routines, etc.
I wouldn't mind seeing my tax dollars go to something like that!
I really feel like sometimes parents are just not educated in these areas, and wind up stuck in a rut, spending more than they need to in areas where they could save.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Here's a way out there idea. People could just take care of themselves and the children they bring into the world and not have to get help from the government.
Trixi.VonLace
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:34 PM
I completely agree with you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Also, parents that are stressed, depressed or overwhelmed, should not be afraid to seek help. BEFORE things get out of control.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)