Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Ugh... CPS

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies

So a friend of mine from my son's playgroup has a litte boy who was born with club feet..... he had surgery to correct it and had to have casts on his legs (when he was a baby)...

Well she got a visit from  CPS over it, just because he has casts on his legs. CPS didn't do anything of course, once they found he had club feet, but seriously?!?!? Someone out there (she thinks a neighbor) called CPS just becacuse he had casts on his legs. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
If I saw a baby with casts I probably wouldn't think 'Club feet' I would probably assume someone hurt him. But I would probably walk up to the mom & say 'Oh, poor baby! What happened?!' or something similar. I wouldn't whip out my phone & report her. Obviously if he has casts, a doctor did it. Doctors are required to report stuff like that if they think it was abuse.
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Really you're a CM member and you don't know that people call CPS for BS all the time?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM
3 moms liked this
That's crazy! He obviously had to go to the hospital to get a cast if they suspected abuse the HOSPITAL would have called cps! People need to mind their own business!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Someone did that to my mom when i was a baby i had both legs in cast to hold my feet flat to help pull my tendens in the bottom of my feet back to where they should be.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:54 PM

LOL.... good point... I guess this is different b/c I know her personallly...

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Really you're a CM member and you don't know that people call CPS for BS all the time?

TexanMomOf6
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Understood. My youngest was born with both feet effected. He had casts when he was SOOO tiny. We would go to the store and get THE LOOK..... Some people would ask what happened, I would give the short explaination and get looks of sympathy and some of doubt. I do live in a smaller community so once the busy bodies knew, everyone did! LOL

I never had CPS called, but I can understand why somebody might have. BUT BUT BUT the hospital or Dr. that would have treated the baby, if it was an injury, is legally (and morally) obligated to report it to CPS so it would have already been reported.

I hope people will call CPS when there are odd things happening. It could be justified.

AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Wtf. How stupid. I'm pretty sure if abuse had been the case, the hospital would have called cps. Damn nosey ass people.
If I saw a baby with casts talipes would be the first thing to come to mind.
How insane!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I would ask what happened. poor baby :(

anon1986East
by Kali on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I've had CPS at my house 4 or 5 times now over ridiculous allegations, most of which were reported by a pissed off neighbor. I've had issues with them for years, and CPS always shows up within a week after a big fight with the neighbors. One time they called and said "someone" had recently been in my house and claimed to see shit and piss stains all over my kid's beds...none of my kids wet the bed and they certainly don't shit the bed either. Another allegation was that my dog has a severely infected wound by his eye that was covered in puss...I had to bring my dog out and show the investigator that not only did my dog not have an infected wound on his eye but that in his 2 years of life he has never had any kind of wound near his eye - I even pulled out the file with all his vet records in them. Another allegation was that one of my girls was outside naked clutching a small blanket to herself to cover up her body and that she was out there all alone...both of my girls were toddlers then, 3 and 4 years old, if either of them had been outside naked they certainly wouldn't have tried to cover themselves - they loved being naked at that age.

While I agree with the fact that people can report suspected abuse anonymously I think the reported should be required to at least inform CPS of their name because there really needs to be some kind of consequence for making false reports, all it does is waste time and money for the state to investigate.

Just like a friend of mine, she has had some really outrageous allegations claimed against her...each one by her ex-husband and each report was made right before he filed for custody (4 times now in 4 years and every time the judge does not grant his custody petition because he doesn't have any proof that my friend is a bad mom or that the kids would be better off with him so he uses CPS as a weapon, hoping that just the fact that they have investigated allegations would be enough to win him custody even though every investigation ends with the CPS worker apologizing to my friend for wasting her time).

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I had CPS come to my house because of a dog bite - I had even sent the note from the hospital to the school because he'd missed a couple of days.  Who called CPS?  The school, because they suspected medical neglect... uhm, hello?  Dr note, in his file.  Look at it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)