Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son wants to move out...

He's almost 6 and wants to move out to nana and grampies!! I yell at him and it hurts his feelings :( but im sick of him writing on my table on 'accident' for the 50th time today. I know it's because he has no boundaries over there but it still hurts my feelings after I do everything I can for him. I know he's going through tough age and he wants a dad so maybe that's part of it too, needing a male figure.

Ftr we have a very good relationship and are close so this is a new thing and idk how to take it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Replies (11-20):
CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Oct. 14, 2012 at 5:49 PM

He's six....

MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM
My 9 year old told me today he wanted to move out and find a nicer family and a mom who wont make him read everyday. I told I would help pack his bags, and went to get his stuff together. He started crying and said I was only kidding, I dont want to leave!! I just hate reading.
Once he actually got half way down our street(looking back the whole time to see if I was coming for him) before running home and apologizing for his attitude
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommylove20
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd did that when she was 5 so I gave her a bag and told her to pack her clothes but she couldn't take any toys because I had bought all of them. Then I told get I would give her a ride over there. She looked at me completely baffled and never said it again. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
helema24
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

lol let him pack and go for a couple days....tell nana to treat him like a tenant and see how fast he comes back!

power bitch slap internet

SimpleComSense
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I like you!  I think we share a sense of humor and parenting style. My favorite is:

"I want "x""

"No, I'm sorry"

"But, I want "x"!"

"Yea, well I want a rockin' body but, I'm afraid we are both going to be disappointed"

I'm 48...he's almost 4.  A couple of days ago, he told his mother when she asked for a kiss..."Nana's not getting a body, I'm not getting a cookie and you aren't getting a kiss...today, we're all disappointed".

A sense of humor and a good reply/explanation is the basis of a great family relationship!

Quoting Sanctimommy:

You didn't become a parent so that someone would love you. You became a parent so that you had someone to love. When my kids defiantly stomped their tiny feet and declared that they 'hated' me for having rules, I simply told them, "That's okay, dear. I love you and those rules keep you safe. That's all that matters around here.". If I felt ambitious, I might add that ink from pens is toxic and could poison their food and that was why I had implemented the 'no writing on the table rule'.  The real reason they could not write on the table, of course, was because it made my furniture look shitty and I had paid a great deal of money for that furniture. I could, at any time find the most dangerous example of why a rule was in place to terrify them into obeying it. Of course, if the Loop-hole Queen (HouseOfFeast) began to rationally chip away at the logic of my rule, I would firmly declare that this year's Christmas might be cancelled so that I could replace the furniture in question. Then I would tell the children to 'thank' her for cutting back on their Christmas gifts that year.

When all else fails, peer pressure will make a kid toe the line.

kristiansmommy1
by Amanda on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I love that! It's true, I don't want to be his friend nor do I plan on it and when he does say I don't like you, you're mean I tell him good but I love you no matter what and always will. Thanks that's great advice

Quoting Sanctimommy:

You didn't become a parent so that someone would love you. You became a parent so that you had someone to love. When my kids defiantly stomped their tiny feet and declared that they 'hated' me for having rules, I simply told them, "That's okay, dear. I love you and those rules keep you safe. That's all that matters around here.". If I felt ambitious, I might add that ink from pens is toxic and could poison their food and that was why I had implemented the 'no writing on the table rule'.  The real reason they could not write on the table, of course, was because it made my furniture look shitty and I had paid a great deal of money for that furniture. I could, at any time find the most dangerous example of why a rule was in place to terrify them into obeying it. Of course, if the Loop-hole Queen (HouseOfFeast) began to rationally chip away at the logic of my rule, I would firmly declare that this year's Christmas might be cancelled so that I could replace the furniture in question. Then I would tell the children to 'thank' her for cutting back on their Christmas gifts that year.

When all else fails, peer pressure will make a kid toe the line.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andersongirl562
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Completely normal.....send him over there and tell him he can't come back and I bet within a day or two he is crying to come home lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kikibix
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Nobody wants to be yelled at, it's not productive for anyone.  Why not find solutions before problems start like not giving him access to writing implements on certain tables of making him a colouring board out of scrap wood and fabric (so it won't scratch the table) that he has to put on the table before writing/coloring so any accidents won't matter. Think of ways to help him stay within your house rules if he's having difficulties wtih some things. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:30 PM

limit his time there if they are going to let him act like a mad man

fostermomoftwo
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

when i was 4 i told my mom that if she told me to clean my room again that i would run away. Well she helped me pack my little princess backpack and i was on my way.

She called my grandpa who was practically living next to us and told him that i was on my way LMAO. never knew that till couple yrs ago. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)