Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Ugh. I really thought this was a good idea. We've been working for 16 hours and only have about 50 of the 300 sq ft done. Every time we start a new row, something comes unlocked. Any tips or tricks?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
mommy9518
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Pay someone else to do it lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:48 PM
I absolutely am next time, usually we're so gung-ho about DIY house projects, but this BLOWS! Haha!

Quoting mommy9518:

Pay someone else to do it lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1crazymomx1
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:53 PM

My Dh and FIL did our living room- it is huge, half of our house- it took us about 4 hrs to do it. They used tapping blocks and it went in great. My only complaint about them is that they do shrink/expand in cold and heat. It is a pain, so leave a little room at the edges. Good luck! :)

rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Ummm WHOA! 16 hours on just 50?! What kind of floor are you doing? It took us 2 hours to do two full rooms and a hallway. its about 750 sq ft. Not bragging but it was a breeze? We had pergo though and ours is a floating. Maybe what your using is more difficult? I would call the store you got it from and get some tips it should't even come close to taking that long. 

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM
My Mom said that the first few rows were irritating, but once more got put in they stayed better. Her laminate looks amazing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Hmmm this isn't the best photo but these are "laminate" floors. But they are the new water proof made of PVC material and they are 100% waterproof. They are floating floors. They were so easy to lay Down. We love them! Have had no issues with them at all
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vegamatic
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I love mine too.

Quoting Anonymous:

I love my laminate floors. Nothing scratches ours. And w 3 kids they take a beating. No sanding and refinishing needed. A quick vacuum and swiffering daily keeps them clean. Spills are a breeze to clean.
As for installation, we had a flooring company put ours down so no advice. Sorry.
Good luck

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:02 PM
If they're coming unlocked they are not properly in place. Make sure you use a tapping block and/or rubber mallet once the pieces are locked. Lock, pound, move on to the next row.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tyrneathem
by Bronze Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:03 PM

This has been my eperience with our laminate too. It's in the family/ game/ play room, so it takes a huge beating and it has held up great. I've had hardwood floors in nearly every home I've lived in and it barely handled me walking on it barefoot. It may depend on the type and style chosen.

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Do you think? We have laminate in the rest of our first floor and have been amazed at how well it has held up! We had carpet and real wood at our old home and both seemed to get scratched and stained so much easier!

Quoting stephy_85:

We have laminate wood floors and hate them. When our house was being built that was all everyone talked about, how great laminate wood was. In reality it scratches pretty easy, if even the smallest amount of liquid gets spilled on it and not dried asap it bubbles up really bad at the seams and to top it all laminate can't be sanded and resealed (we obviously onew that) so we can't fix any of the issues.

connorsmommy120
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I have no clue, when my husband and his friend did ours I took the kids and left for the day! Lol. He did say though that after the first couple of rows, it is easier. I would think since they are coming unlocked that they weren't in place properly. Did you guys get the block, and rubber mallet? (Again, I have no clue...lol)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)