Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't want to hear... UPDATE

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I was asked today to please have my son evaluated for his behavior by his babysitter. His preschool teacher has requested. His father (we aren't together anymore) has requested. His kindergarden screening has said he needs to be seen. I don't want to! Yes, he is difficult. He can't stay on task. He is 5 and is always surprised when a consequence happens even though I am very consistant. I do what I say I will do. I set the timer tonight for 20 minutes to clean his room and told him I will take any not put away. He is running laps in my house and giggling. I know he will be shocked, just like last night, when I take his toys. My closet is full of toys he hasnt earned back. You litterally have to nag or he forgets what was told to him. His teachers say he has no self control and cries when he is told to move to a new task sometimes. His dad says he is hopeless and wont listen. His babysitter says he is wild and spends a lot of time in trouble. I think they just dont understand him and he will learn if we just keep at our consistancy. I have the number for the behavior therapist... I dont want to call! UPDATE: I called them. They are sending me the release forms and said that they can work on my schedule. I struggled all night with this. Thank you for pushing me.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:11 PM
Replies (31-36):
Pink.Frosting
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this

But this isn't about you and what you want.  It's what is best for him.  It truly does sound like he needs help and if you refuse to get that help for him, then you are doing your son a disservice.  Get over your own issues about it and do what is best for your child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:59 PM
That is what I am afraid of. I dont want to hear Autism. I have friends with Autistic kids. I also have a friend whose child is like my son in a lot of ways and she said they are what all boys should be. That is what I keep saying: He is a boy. That is how boys are.

Quoting Anonymous:

What if he's Autistic or has some type of learning disability? Wouldnt you want to know?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I have another 13 gallon bag full of toys again. He just sat on the floor and bawled as I bagged them all up. He is still whimpering in his bed. He didn't even try to stop me or save a toy. Is this normal? Also, since the screening mentioned it, I noticed that he rocks when he is learning. He wanted me to teach him to read, so we have been doing flash cards and basic books. He rocks as he says the letters and then tells me the word. Is this normal?

If a mom has to ask herself, is this normal? Then you know darn good and well that it isn't. Why are you having such a hard time trusting your self. Others see it and so do you. Get him some help. My grandson was finally taken in for an evaluation, couldn't sit still long enough to do anything, he himself knew something wasn't right. (he was a little older than 5) When he finally got the help he needed, medication and therapy, he was so happy to know it could be fixed. He actually said to me, "Gramma I was able to sit and watch the whole movie at once"  He was so proud of himself. Please for your son's sake get him evaluated before it gets way out of control. You should not deny him help because you don't want him "labeled". Good Luck!

kissmiss213
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

so you are purposefully holding him back because you want to prove them all wrong?

kissmiss213
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

so putting your head in the sand is helping him?

Quoting Anonymous:

That is what I am afraid of. I dont want to hear Autism. I have friends with Autistic kids. I also have a friend whose child is like my son in a lot of ways and she said they are what all boys should be. That is what I keep saying: He is a boy. That is how boys are.

Quoting Anonymous:

What if he's Autistic or has some type of learning disability? Wouldnt you want to know?

PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:02 PM

The sooner you call, the sooner he can get help.  Why won't you call?  Have you kept a food journal to see if certain foods are causing his behavior to worsen?  Is he on any supplements?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)