Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Breast cancer month irks me

Posted by   + Show Post
As terrible as it sounds, I hate that breast cancer gets so much recognition and awareness. Cancer is cancer!! It all sucks, it all can kill. Sure breast cancer is most common in women, but why should that make it more important? I think all cancers should be supported and have equal awareness!! That's my confession for the night.

Eta: don't turn this around to make it sound like I'm bashing survivors or people currently fighting breast cancer. I'm totally NOT!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:41 AM
Replies (21-30):
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it's crap. I hate Komen too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
504bbymami
by Emerald Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:08 AM
1 mom liked this
So why does that mean you can't have it? I would think that would be even more of a reason to have it..

Quoting Irenesmommy:

can't have lung cancer awareness because people stigmatize it to smokers only

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DestinyHLewis
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting eyeheartsin:

Wow. Not being bitchy at all. Lol I will look it up. Thanks,
krayzbabylove
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Causes that matter to people take the forefront. I think everyone should have a cause of choice. Since breast cancer is the most common, that means that it touches more lives, and in turn gets more attention. If breast cancer isnt your thing, than fight for a different cause. do a relay for life which supports research on all cancers.. donate specifically to the fight against other cancers. Dont get angry that people focus on what is important to them in their lives personally though. That is silly.

usmc.momma
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:09 AM
My grandmother and aunt had polops in their colon but nothing cancerous. My mom's oncologist said my brother and I should start annual colonoscopies around 25 because she was so young. Yay me :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Isn't it terrible? My hubby's grandmother had it, and also his aunt. I think there are a few more people further back in the family with it as well. They both passed away. It's terrible because it's so hard to catch! Hubby is so worried about catching it. His whole family has routine colonoscopies now. I'm glad they do. It's a lesser talked about cancer, but it seems to be really common.

Quoting usmc.momma:

My mom had colon cancer too. Her doctors said she was incredibly lucky. She went in for something totally different when they discovered it. She was only 36 too!

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree that they need to spend more time on other cancer awareness as well. My guess as to why they focus on breast cancer so much is because early detection is key and in a lot of instances can be found at an early stage by examining yourself.

I had an aunt pass away with breast cancer so I'm a ribbon wearer. I've also had family pass away with colon cancer and i support that too. Cancer is horrible and all victim of it deserve to be honored. It's a horrible thing to go through, and a horrid way to die. I've watched one too many suffer and pass away from cancer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I am currently fighting this fight, and I understand where you are coming from. But awareness is never a bad thing. I'm only 34, and all other cancers should be at the forefront as well. But just so you all know, you cannot just cure any of them and be okay. It's not just my life but my family that is going through this. No bashing here, I get it, but.... it's not peas and carrots for any cancer fight.

Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:10 AM

the cancer orginanization is a million dollor organization, with people on the payroll, imagine the money lost if cancer is cured. Ever wonder why magic johnson didn't die of aids? cuz there is a cure, there is a cure for cancer, but there is no profit in cures.

Quoting 504bbymami:

Look up dr burzynski.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting eyeheartsin:

I agree. Cancer awareness and fundraisers irk me in general because people are being lied to. CANCER IS CURABLE. It has been since the 1940's but Big Pharma keeps it hidden to fuel their profits.

So tell us. How is all cancer curable?

usmc.momma
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:11 AM
4 moms liked this
Rape victims get PTSD, women with traumatic births get PTSD, molested and abused children get PTSD!! They need to pull their heads out of their ass!

Quoting sheramom4:

Quoting usmc.momma:

WTF?? Since when is PTSD political?? I'd tell that school to kiss my ass. DH had mild PTSD, hugs momma!!

Quoting sheramom4:

My kids have PTSD awareness ribbons which they have been told they can't wear at school because they are "political" (my DH has PTSD), but this month most of the kids are wearing pink ribbons....that part irritates me. And that every product available turns pink.

Because it has to do with war I guess? I have no idea. I have sent them with their ribbons and bracelets since then with no issue, but if anything is said again I plan to take it higher. They are proudof their dad and supportive of him. Just like they would be if cancer had affected our family, so I really don't see the difference.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:13 AM

My mil had a few polops. They're really easy to remove, they do it right then! =)

Colonoscopies aren't really that bad. The worst part is the cleanse imo. yuck.

Quoting usmc.momma:

My grandmother and aunt had polops in their colon but nothing cancerous. My mom's oncologist said my brother and I should start annual colonoscopies around 25 because she was so young. Yay me :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Isn't it terrible? My hubby's grandmother had it, and also his aunt. I think there are a few more people further back in the family with it as well. They both passed away. It's terrible because it's so hard to catch! Hubby is so worried about catching it. His whole family has routine colonoscopies now. I'm glad they do. It's a lesser talked about cancer, but it seems to be really common.

Quoting usmc.momma:

My mom had colon cancer too. Her doctors said she was incredibly lucky. She went in for something totally different when they discovered it. She was only 36 too!

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree that they need to spend more time on other cancer awareness as well. My guess as to why they focus on breast cancer so much is because early detection is key and in a lot of instances can be found at an early stage by examining yourself.

I had an aunt pass away with breast cancer so I'm a ribbon wearer. I've also had family pass away with colon cancer and i support that too. Cancer is horrible and all victim of it deserve to be honored. It's a horrible thing to go through, and a horrid way to die. I've watched one too many suffer and pass away from cancer.

usmc.momma
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:13 AM
Wow. Congrats on beating it!!

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm a breast cancer survivor and I agree. Not just that, but every October, friends remember that I had cancer. Two sahm friends wanted me to be guests at their special breast cancer awareness party to sell their breast cancer awareness products.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)