Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast cancer month irks me

Posted by   + Show Post
As terrible as it sounds, I hate that breast cancer gets so much recognition and awareness. Cancer is cancer!! It all sucks, it all can kill. Sure breast cancer is most common in women, but why should that make it more important? I think all cancers should be supported and have equal awareness!! That's my confession for the night.

Eta: don't turn this around to make it sound like I'm bashing survivors or people currently fighting breast cancer. I'm totally NOT!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:41 AM
Replies (31-40):
eyeheartsin
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:13 AM
Exactly. There is some profit in treating and preventing, but not near as much as people dying from cancer.

Quoting Irenesmommy:

the cancer orginanization is a million dollor organization, with people on the payroll, imagine the money lost if cancer is cured. Ever wonder why magic johnson didn't die of aids? cuz there is a cure, there is a cure for cancer, but there is no profit in cures.

Quoting 504bbymami:

Look up dr burzynski.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting eyeheartsin:

I agree. Cancer awareness and fundraisers irk me in general because people are being lied to. CANCER IS CURABLE. It has been since the 1940's but Big Pharma keeps it hidden to fuel their profits.

So tell us. How is all cancer curable?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3babiesofmyown
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:14 AM
Yes. When have you seen a walk to fight colon cancer? Well and Susan g Coleman really put it out there. It was the first cancer with a walk wasn't it?

Quoting AnjalisMommy07:

I feel that breast canccer gets so muc recognition because it deals with breasts.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
504bbymami
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:14 AM
You're preaching to the choir, mama. I'm fully aware of all this and it's a damn, damn shame.

Chemo is profitable. That's the only reason they do it. It's torturous and hardley helps but hey if it fills up the big guys' wallets........

Quoting Irenesmommy:

the cancer orginanization is a million dollor organization, with people on the payroll, imagine the money lost if cancer is cured. Ever wonder why magic johnson didn't die of aids? cuz there is a cure, there is a cure for cancer, but there is no profit in cures.

Quoting 504bbymami:

Look up dr burzynski.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting eyeheartsin:

I agree. Cancer awareness and fundraisers irk me in general because people are being lied to. CANCER IS CURABLE. It has been since the 1940's but Big Pharma keeps it hidden to fuel their profits.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmc.momma
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:16 AM
I have done all that with my mother for the past 12 years since she was diagnosed with colon cancer and had surgery to remove 3ft of her colon. It shouldn't matter how popular or common it is. Cancer is cancer. It's all one disease.

Quoting krayzbabylove:

Causes that matter to people take the forefront. I think everyone should have a cause of choice. Since breast cancer is the most common, that means that it touches more lives, and in turn gets more attention. If breast cancer isnt your thing, than fight for a different cause. do a relay for life which supports research on all cancers.. donate specifically to the fight against other cancers. Dont get angry that people focus on what is important to them in their lives personally though. That is silly.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Quoting usmc.momma:

Rape victims get PTSD, women with traumatic births get PTSD, molested and abused children get PTSD!! They need to pull their heads out of their ass!

Quoting sheramom4:

Quoting usmc.momma:

WTF?? Since when is PTSD political?? I'd tell that school to kiss my ass. DH had mild PTSD, hugs momma!!

Quoting sheramom4:

My kids have PTSD awareness ribbons which they have been told they can't wear at school because they are "political" (my DH has PTSD), but this month most of the kids are wearing pink ribbons....that part irritates me. And that every product available turns pink.

Because it has to do with war I guess? I have no idea. I have sent them with their ribbons and bracelets since then with no issue, but if anything is said again I plan to take it higher. They are proudof their dad and supportive of him. Just like they would be if cancer had affected our family, so I really don't see the difference.

Agreed. I happen to live in an area with a lot of bias about mental health issues, which I discovered working with social workers. I have had some child clients (I am a CASA) kicked out of daycare for having PTSD and social workers who wanted to take kids away from parents because of it and that was the only reason for removal. I never understood how biased people were until I started my work in child advocacy.

Irenesmommy
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:17 AM

is there a lung cancer month?

Quoting 504bbymami:

So why does that mean you can't have it? I would think that would be even more of a reason to have it..

Quoting Irenesmommy:

can't have lung cancer awareness because people stigmatize it to smokers only

usmc.momma
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:19 AM
Oh I know!! My poor mom was miserable :( I didn't even know she had cancer until 6 months later. My brother and I were only 11 & 6 so she didn't want to scare us. She wanted until her dr told her she was 100% in the clear.

Quoting Anonymous:

My mil had a few polops. They're really easy to remove, they do it right then! =)

Colonoscopies aren't really that bad. The worst part is the cleanse imo. yuck.

Quoting usmc.momma:

My grandmother and aunt had polops in their colon but nothing cancerous. My mom's oncologist said my brother and I should start annual colonoscopies around 25 because she was so young. Yay me :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Isn't it terrible? My hubby's grandmother had it, and also his aunt. I think there are a few more people further back in the family with it as well. They both passed away. It's terrible because it's so hard to catch! Hubby is so worried about catching it. His whole family has routine colonoscopies now. I'm glad they do. It's a lesser talked about cancer, but it seems to be really common.

Quoting usmc.momma:

My mom had colon cancer too. Her doctors said she was incredibly lucky. She went in for something totally different when they discovered it. She was only 36 too!

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree that they need to spend more time on other cancer awareness as well. My guess as to why they focus on breast cancer so much is because early detection is key and in a lot of instances can be found at an early stage by examining yourself.

I had an aunt pass away with breast cancer so I'm a ribbon wearer. I've also had family pass away with colon cancer and i support that too. Cancer is horrible and all victim of it deserve to be honored. It's a horrible thing to go through, and a horrid way to die. I've watched one too many suffer and pass away from cancer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:19 AM
3 moms liked this
Just in case you need to know the cancer awareness months..

January • Cervical Cancer Awareness Month February • National Cancer Prevention Month March • Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month • National Kidney Cancer Awareness Month April • Head and Neck Cancer Awareness Month • Testicular Cancer Awareness Month • Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month May • Brain Cancer Awareness Month • Melanoma and Skin Cancer Awareness Month June • National Cancer Survivors Day July • Bladder Cancer Awareness Month • Sarcoma Awareness Week September • Childhood Cancer Awareness Month • Gynecologic Cancer Awareness Month • Hodgkin's Lymphoma Awareness Month • Leukemia Awareness Month • Lymphoma Awareness Month • Multiple Myeloma Awareness Month • Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month • Thyroid Cancer Awareness Week • Prostate Cancer Awareness Month October • Breast Cancer Awareness Month • Liver Cancer Awareness Month November • Lung Cancer Awareness Month • Carcinoid Cancer Awareness Month • National Family Caregivers Month • Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month • Stomach Cancer Awareness Month
krayzbabylove
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:20 AM
I lost my grandfather to colon cancer as well. That one is my cause.

Quoting usmc.momma:

I have done all that with my mother for the past 12 years since she was diagnosed with colon cancer and had surgery to remove 3ft of her colon. It shouldn't matter how popular or common it is. Cancer is cancer. It's all one disease.

Quoting krayzbabylove:

Causes that matter to people take the forefront. I think everyone should have a cause of choice. Since breast cancer is the most common, that means that it touches more lives, and in turn gets more attention. If breast cancer isnt your thing, than fight for a different cause. do a relay for life which supports research on all cancers.. donate specifically to the fight against other cancers. Dont get angry that people focus on what is important to them in their lives personally though. That is silly.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:21 AM
You put it out there that there is a cure for cancer and then you're to lazy to give a cliff notes answer, but just tell people to use google? Go figure.

Quoting eyeheartsin:

If you're actually interested in knowing and not just being bitchy; you can do your own research starting with Dr. Gerson and Dr. Burzynski.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting eyeheartsin:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured