Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Breast cancer month irks me

Posted by   + Show Post
As terrible as it sounds, I hate that breast cancer gets so much recognition and awareness. Cancer is cancer!! It all sucks, it all can kill. Sure breast cancer is most common in women, but why should that make it more important? I think all cancers should be supported and have equal awareness!! That's my confession for the night.

Eta: don't turn this around to make it sound like I'm bashing survivors or people currently fighting breast cancer. I'm totally NOT!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:41 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:21 AM

I just found out yesterday that my bf's daughter has cervical cancer, she's 21 and had a baby about a year ago. I've never dealt with cancer on a personal level and now I am and it's really hard, especially because she's so young with a baby.

phantomphan
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree op! I wish other cancers got this much attention!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:22 AM

I'm glad she got it taken care of. That's a scary situation. I'm not sure I could handle it.

Quoting usmc.momma:

Oh I know!! My poor mom was miserable :( I didn't even know she had cancer until 6 months later. My brother and I were only 11 & 6 so she didn't want to scare us. She wanted until her dr told her she was 100% in the clear.

Quoting Anonymous:

My mil had a few polops. They're really easy to remove, they do it right then! =)

Colonoscopies aren't really that bad. The worst part is the cleanse imo. yuck.

Quoting usmc.momma:

My grandmother and aunt had polops in their colon but nothing cancerous. My mom's oncologist said my brother and I should start annual colonoscopies around 25 because she was so young. Yay me :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Isn't it terrible? My hubby's grandmother had it, and also his aunt. I think there are a few more people further back in the family with it as well. They both passed away. It's terrible because it's so hard to catch! Hubby is so worried about catching it. His whole family has routine colonoscopies now. I'm glad they do. It's a lesser talked about cancer, but it seems to be really common.

Quoting usmc.momma:

My mom had colon cancer too. Her doctors said she was incredibly lucky. She went in for something totally different when they discovered it. She was only 36 too!

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree that they need to spend more time on other cancer awareness as well. My guess as to why they focus on breast cancer so much is because early detection is key and in a lot of instances can be found at an early stage by examining yourself.

I had an aunt pass away with breast cancer so I'm a ribbon wearer. I've also had family pass away with colon cancer and i support that too. Cancer is horrible and all victim of it deserve to be honored. It's a horrible thing to go through, and a horrid way to die. I've watched one too many suffer and pass away from cancer.

usmc.momma
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:25 AM
She is SOO strong!! Actually... It will be 13 years next week. I remember her telling me that she would have only told me before, if she had to do chemo. She didn't want us thinking she was going bald for no reason. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm glad she got it taken care of. That's a scary situation. I'm not sure I could handle it.

Quoting usmc.momma:

Oh I know!! My poor mom was miserable :( I didn't even know she had cancer until 6 months later. My brother and I were only 11 & 6 so she didn't want to scare us. She wanted until her dr told her she was 100% in the clear.

Quoting Anonymous:

My mil had a few polops. They're really easy to remove, they do it right then! =)

Colonoscopies aren't really that bad. The worst part is the cleanse imo. yuck.

Quoting usmc.momma:

My grandmother and aunt had polops in their colon but nothing cancerous. My mom's oncologist said my brother and I should start annual colonoscopies around 25 because she was so young. Yay me :/

Quoting Anonymous:

Isn't it terrible? My hubby's grandmother had it, and also his aunt. I think there are a few more people further back in the family with it as well. They both passed away. It's terrible because it's so hard to catch! Hubby is so worried about catching it. His whole family has routine colonoscopies now. I'm glad they do. It's a lesser talked about cancer, but it seems to be really common.

Quoting usmc.momma:

My mom had colon cancer too. Her doctors said she was incredibly lucky. She went in for something totally different when they discovered it. She was only 36 too!

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree that they need to spend more time on other cancer awareness as well. My guess as to why they focus on breast cancer so much is because early detection is key and in a lot of instances can be found at an early stage by examining yourself.

I had an aunt pass away with breast cancer so I'm a ribbon wearer. I've also had family pass away with colon cancer and i support that too. Cancer is horrible and all victim of it deserve to be honored. It's a horrible thing to go through, and a horrid way to die. I've watched one too many suffer and pass away from cancer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eyeheartsin
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:27 AM
3 moms liked this
I'm not going to waste my time typing out an essay for someone who isn't even open minded enough to care. If you can't look into something as simple as researching two doctors who've paved the way in cancer cures, then why bother replying with your go-to, unoriginal, anon bullshit?

Oh and it's too***
BOOM.

Quoting Anonymous:

You put it out there that there is a cure for cancer and then you're to lazy to give a cliff notes answer, but just tell people to use google? Go figure.

Quoting eyeheartsin:

If you're actually interested in knowing and not just being bitchy; you can do your own research starting with Dr. Gerson and Dr. Burzynski.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting eyeheartsin:

I agree. Cancer awareness and fundraisers irk me in general because people are being lied to. CANCER IS CURABLE. It has been since the 1940's but Big Pharma keeps it hidden to fuel their profits.

So tell us. How is all cancer curable?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
504bbymami
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:51 AM
Idk

Quoting Irenesmommy:

is there a lung cancer month?

Quoting 504bbymami:

So why does that mean you can't have it? I would think that would be even more of a reason to have it..

Quoting Irenesmommy:

can't have lung cancer awareness because people stigmatize it to smokers only

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eyeheartsin
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:53 AM
November is

Quoting 504bbymami:

Idk

Quoting Irenesmommy:

is there a lung cancer month?

Quoting 504bbymami:

So why does that mean you can't have it? I would think that would be even more of a reason to have it..

Quoting Irenesmommy:

can't have lung cancer awareness because people stigmatize it to smokers only

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leobaby2007
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:55 AM
I'll be honest. It bugs me too. My son has autism and ASD doesn't get a fraction of the support or awareness that breast cancer does. It's wrong, I know, but it irks me too. Just being honest.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:15 AM
2 moms liked this
You wear a tin foil hat, don't you?

Quoting eyeheartsin:

I agree. Cancer awareness and fundraisers irk me in general because people are being lied to. CANCER IS CURABLE. It has been since the 1940's but Big Pharma keeps it hidden to fuel their profits.
kennethsmom910
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:21 AM
I agree. I think it is great that people have been educated about breast cancer, but I think it is time to focus on other types as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)