Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Went in to my bank account and I'm shocked. Update. #2

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 187 Replies
1 mom liked this
We always lived ok. Nothing fancy or anything but always had enough to pay the bills with some play money left over. Well yesterday I had to take some cash out for the book fair at school. The receipts from the ATM said I had $32k in my checking. I was like WTF?!?!?! We don't keep much money in checking. Dh does the banking and likes to keep anything extra after bills and our budget fun money in savings or money market. Soooo I figured it probably somehow was a mistake. I know we had about $20k in savings so it probably got accidentally transferred over to checking. I checked savings and there's $40k in there and $40k in money market. I showed dh the receipts when I got home and he didn't seem surprised. He just said not to worry about it and that he'd look into it. His reaction was very strange. Totally cool and whatever about it. I want to know where the hell that money came from!!!! I just keep thinking that he's doing something illegal.

Update
Ok I worried for nothing. Stupid me. He owns a small consulting business with 1 partner. His partner and him haven't been getting along. Things have been getting bad between them. We've discussed the possibility of his partner buying him out. He discussed it with his partner but nothing was completely agreed upon yet. Apparently the jackass thinks that the buy out is worth $90k and that its as easy as depositing the money in our accounts. The deposits were made only 6 hours before I noticed them. Dh had no idea about them yet but when I said something to him he had an idea about where it came from. He didn't want to worry me so he decided so say nothing until he figured it out for himself. Looks like we'll be taking this one to court. Grrrrr.

In response to some questions:

I will not respond to the drama replies. I did not post this for drama so I will not entertain those who are trying to make it about that. However, knowledge is power so I will answer the banking questions. In my bank (and many others) if you make a cash deposit it is available immediately. It will show up in the ATM of my financial institution within minutes. For example, lets say I have Chase (which I don't). If I went to a chase ATM I'd see my cash deposit. If I went to a Wells Fargo I may not.

As for him having my account number. Your account number is on the bottom of your checks. If you've ever written out a check the recipient has your account number. Anyone can make a deposit with that number. All they have to do is got to your bank, fill out a deposit slip, put your account number on it (number on bottom of check), check off savings checking or MM and go to teller. They can not however withdraw without ID.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:28 AM
O.o.
Tinabee88
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:28 AM
How is this an issue?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:29 AM
3 moms liked this

Hmm, that does sound fishy.  You should be able to find where the money came from easily enough if you have access to the account.  Look at the history to see if there were checks deposited or the bank that the money is transferred from. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:29 AM
8 moms liked this
First world problems...
AleaKat
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:29 AM
Wow! Speechless
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3kidz123
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:30 AM
3 moms liked this

lol, I'll take it off your hands for you!

alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I would demand to know what was going on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I did. It was cash deposits. That's what worries me.

Quoting CoolRelax:

Hmm, that does sound fishy.  You should be able to find where the money came from easily enough if you have access to the account.  Look at the history to see if there were checks deposited or the bank that the money is transferred from. 

carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Damn. I wish I had that problem lol.

Just ask the bank about it.

LoveMyLos
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Id go to the bank and see if the know where it came from. If not, i would be grilling dh.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)