Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Allowance?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
How old was your kid when you started an allowance and did you make him/her earn it? How?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenieceMojica
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:59 PM

bump for ideas!

3mommyandwifey
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:04 PM
AGE 4/5. Cleaning off the dinner table. Cleaning their rooms. Laundry only the 8 year old does it And that's just takeing it outta the dryer and folding it. Cleaning after the dog. And its like 50cents per thing and it goes to their college savings. Unless they really want to buy something with it. Also picking up trash in the yard taking the recycle or garbage out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I don't give them allowance.  If they need money I give it to them.

lstrickland
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:07 PM
I give a dollar a week or so. He just has to do whatever I say, change laundry over, feed dog,take out trash. Just whatever need done and I think he can do it.
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:10 PM

2, becuase he saw that his brother (4 at the time) got an allowance. we would make them tidy up their rooms and toyroom for hte week to "earn" their allowance

tennisgal
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:11 PM

6. they have things they are required to do b/c they live in this house and are part of the family and then they have things they do to earn their allowance (it's really non-negotiable, but upon completion they earn their allowance). 

Lilindian
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:14 PM

My children stared  earning their's around age 5,I know that's alil young but I believe if you strat showing them at a young age how to be money smart then it only benefits them in the long run. At home I only a 15,13, and almost 5 they all earn $5.00 a week,sometimes more if they do extra stuff. My 5yr old has to help keep the cat food bowl full with food and water,my teens have to clean the bathroom once a week each. Most of the time they earn more cause they will wash my cae $5.00 for taht or dust my room $3 for that , or mop the kitchen floor $3 for that also.

TexanMomOf6
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:15 PM

I didn't give allowances.

My daughter pays her kids for extra chores, not the regular pick up toys and clean their room stuff. Pay is according to age and job difficulty. They each have a row of piggy banks that the money is split between. One for long term goals, short term goals, junk (spend however they want),  tithe/donation to needy.  The kids are learning how to spend and save. I think some adults need a row of piggy banks!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:46 PM
I know I do! That is an awesome idea.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

I didn't give allowances.

My daughter pays her kids for extra chores, not the regular pick up toys and clean their room stuff. Pay is according to age and job difficulty. They each have a row of piggy banks that the money is split between. One for long term goals, short term goals, junk (spend however they want),  tithe/donation to needy.  The kids are learning how to spend and save. I think some adults need a row of piggy banks!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)