Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm becoming a foster parent

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 10 Replies
My husband and I are becoming foster parents. And they want us to think about the age group were willing to foster. Our son is four, so originally i thought his age group, but the website says teens need homes. But i was in foster care when i was a child and idk if Im comfortable... What do you guys think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
So_many_things
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:02 PM
Hmm that sucks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM
I wouldn't get anyone stronger/older that my children. Foster kids are likely to be abuse victims and could victimize your child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adhaodd1child
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:06 PM
2 moms liked this

All I have to say is do it because you love kids not because of the money. I would rather take a teen then a little child due to the fact the little child might get to attached to you and then either go back home or have to be moved to another home due to other issues. With teens they can make a connection with you but know that theres a possibly for movement and be able to handle it better then a young child will. I was a foster child and I was in many group homes and fosters home and its harder on the younger kids to move then for teens. With teens most of the time they get put in group homes and dont get the attetion that they really need for parent figures.

JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Go for a preteen/young teen. They need homes very much. Like 10-13.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmbivalentWiz
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Teens desperately need homes. As a teenage foster child who aged out of the system, let me tell you a foster home will drastically change their lives. Once they age out they have no one! It's excruciatingly lonely, especially during the holidays.

EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:12 PM

I wouldn't take any younger than four at this point because it may be too much for you to handle. Teens do need homes but they can be a handful and be prepared to shield your son from a lot of possible swearing and bad behaviour. My parents were foster parents when I was 10 and they had kids ranging from 0 - 15. 

So_many_things
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM
You feel like the older foster kids effected your life badly? My son is number one for me, but it's always been my dream to be a better home for a foster child... have a home that i didn't have.

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

I wouldn't take any younger than four at this point because it may be too much for you to handle. Teens do need homes but they can be a handful and be prepared to shield your son from a lot of possible swearing and bad behaviour. My parents were foster parents when I was 10 and they had kids ranging from 0 - 15. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 16, 2012 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you are doing something great. I would go for the teens, but I can see why you would want kids your son's age. If you do take teens proceed with caution, they have been in the system for years and may hate the world.

EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Not at all. My parents did a really good job keeping things hush hush and made sure that I didn't know any details, just that there was a child who needed a good home and a nice family. I was happy to help my mother out and I think it contributed to my kindness and well roundedness as a person. It made me want to be a foster mother, myself, which is what we're doing when my kids are a lot older. :)

I recommend at least trying it, and if it does not work out the first few tries, it may just not be the best fit for your family. It's certainly not for everyone!

Quoting So_many_things:

You feel like the older foster kids effected your life badly? My son is number one for me, but it's always been my dream to be a better home for a foster child... have a home that i didn't have.

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

brittney28
by Brittney on Oct. 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I am a foster parent. I like the ages 5 to 10... Because they go to school during the day and I have time with my baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)