Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

god and girl scouts...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dd has been asking to be a girl scout for a few years. This year I relented and after scores of paperwork and 3 fundraisers before she even started she had her first meeting last night. She came home with a poster she made declaring the girl scout oath. Apparently the oath says to serve God. We are not in any way religious and I don't believe in teaching my kids religious bs. Because of this I don't send my kids to things sponsored by church organizations. I was not aware that the girl scouts had anything to do with religion and am a bit peeved. She really enjoyed it so of course I will let her continue and if she chooses to put God first it is her decision, I just hoped it would be a decision she made when she was older and more informed not because girl scouts makes her pledge. Did you all know God was in girl scouts???? I thought it was all about the cookies lol
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 19, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Replies (101-110):
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I think do, lol. Name calling? Where?

Quoting Mackenzie40:

Are you off your meds or what? 

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

What's with the name calling and swearing? Be at peace, my lady.

Have a bright day!

Quoting LoriLou75:

Leave me the f*#k alone.

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

I am not a preacher, I am a follower and passionate radical who loves Jesus ;) I am being very rude, now? I didn't hurt you, the truth doesn't hurt. It sets you free! 

Quoting LoriLou75:

You're preaching to thee wrong person. You already know that though, which is exactly what makes it so very rude!

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

We all are flawed, that's why we need Him. He saves us, from being held captive to sin. We all have lived in darkness, the time has come to accept the Light - Where freedom sings a sweet beautiful love song.

Quoting LoriLou75:

I have not called anyone ignorant because of their religious belief. Bit hey,I am human and not without flaws.

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

I know you're an Atheist, I keep mental notes, according to who is what. Weird? ;) I like to know who I'm speaking to believes.

I've seen you name call - You believe some of those who believe in God are ignorant. No? That's not following the golden rule, love. Your words are harsh at times. But you do have many Christian friends, so you don't think we're all bad. 

The truth is, everyone needs God, for many reasons.

Quoting LoriLou75:

I am an atheist. I live by the golden rule and all that. I think of it more as laws of humanity, not of God. I don't need a god to know right from wRong , no one does.

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

Ah, obeying His commands/serving Him IS loving/pleasing God.

Following God's law will make anyone's life better, whether they believe or not.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

Matthew 22:36-40

New Living Translation (NLT)

36 “Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?”

37 Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’a]">[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’b]">[b] 40 The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”

So she made an oath to love God, and love others as herself? That's great, don't you think?

No she made and oath to serve God... not love him... and if that is your thing good for you. It is not for me.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MollyJmommy
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM
The pledge is: On my honor I will try to serve God and my country. To help people at all times and to live by the Girl Scout law. The Girl Scout Law: I will do my best to be honest and fair, friendly and helpful, considerate and strong, and responsible for what I say and do and to respect myself and others. Respect authority, use resources wisely, make the world a better place and to be a sister to every girl scout. :) lol I was in gs from kindergarden to the end and next year I plan on getting my lifetime membership. They really don't "teach" about god it's basically just respect the world your in and leave it cleaner then when you arrived. Take care of your world and you'll be okay. I never learned about god or what to believe just that I'm not the only person on this earth and it's my job to respect the earth and teach others to respect it as well
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bright.Eyes
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Again, thank you. *All smiles*

Quoting Kitschy:

I don't think you are in any danger of that

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

I don't need admiration - I don't seek approval or acceptance from others.

I was not accusing you of doing anything, I was generally throwing it out there.

:) Thanks.

Quoting Kitschy:

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

Bulling me into 'shutting up' or trying to shame me into changing who I am is hypocritical. No? Lol. You know who I am, don't like me or what I have to say? Don't quote me.

Have a joyous day Kitschy! :))

Quoting Kitschy:

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

I am crazy about Jesus :) I know THE truth. When someone spread the Light, people hide, for the love the darkness.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

What you know to be true... for yourself... in other words what you believe... none of that makes it actually true. And this is why I don't want my daughter in a religious organization.... crazy religious zealots that force their BELIEFS on others...

Bullying people about God and Jesus is still bullying. I can't believe that you honestly feel you are doing God any justice with your methods.

I'm not bullying you, nor have I told you to shut up. I'm simply trying to point out the way you are coming across to others. I think the teachings o Jesus (as most do) to be admirable and most people, religious or not try to live by the same example whether they credit Jesus or not. The point is that the methods you are using are obviously not effective. You can keep banging your head against the wall if you chose, but you're alienating people and it seems intentional.

nataliesmom2012
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM

When I was in girl scouts, the only thing we ever did that involved God was say the girl scout pledge. It's really no different than saying the Pledge of Allegiance in schools. It might e said in the pledge but in all reality, nothing religious is being suggested or pushed.

caito
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I plan on getting my daughter into girl scouts when she's old enough. I didn't know they had god in the pledge but whatever. From what I've heard they don't force religion on kids. It's just words on a piece of paper. I like that the girl scouts want to teach girls to be strong, compassionate, and independent. I like that they're fairly progressive with their beliefs. I would NEVER let a son join the boy scouts though. Boy scouts suck.

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:53 PM

What name calling?

BTW, she didn't say that you are a preacher, she said that you are preaching. Yes you are being rude, and your "truth" might seem true to you, but that is because you would rather cling to ancient fables than you would to open your eyes to reality.

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

Have a bright day!

Quoting LoriLou75:

Leave me the f*#k alone.

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

I am not a preacher, I am a follower and passionate radical who loves Jesus ;) I am being very rude, now? I didn't hurt you, the truth doesn't hurt. It sets you free! 

Quoting LoriLou75:

You're preaching to thee wrong person. You already know that though, which is exactly what makes it so very rude!

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

We all are flawed, that's why we need Him. He saves us, from being held captive to sin. We all have lived in darkness, the time has come to accept the Light - Where freedom sings a sweet beautiful love song.

Quoting LoriLou75:

I have not called anyone ignorant because of their religious belief. Bit hey,I am human and not without flaws.

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

I know you're an Atheist, I keep mental notes, according to who is what. Weird? ;) I like to know who I'm speaking to believes.

I've seen you name call - You believe some of those who believe in God are ignorant. No? That's not following the golden rule, love. Your words are harsh at times. But you do have many Christian friends, so you don't think we're all bad. 

Quoting LoriLou75:

I am an atheist. I live by the golden rule and all that. I think of it more as laws of humanity, not of God. I don't need a god to know right from wRong , no one does.

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

Following God's law will make anyone's life better, whether they believe or not.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

37 Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’a]">[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’b]">[b] 40 The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”

So she made an oath to love God, and love others as herself? That's great, don't you think?

No she made and oath to serve God... not love him... and if that is your thing good for you. It is not for me.

AmyG1976
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:57 PM

yup i did know that was in the pledge. I still let my dd go she learns everything and God can mean many things not just the pseudo-christian stuff...

Bright.Eyes
by on Oct. 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM

She told me I was being very rude. That's name calling.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

What name calling?

BTW, she didn't say that you are a preacher, she said that you are preaching. Yes you are being rude, and your "truth" might seem true to you, but that is because you would rather cling to ancient fables than you would to open your eyes to reality.

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

Have a bright day!

Quoting LoriLou75:

Leave me the f*#k alone.

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

Quoting LoriLou75:

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

Quoting LoriLou75:

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

Quoting LoriLou75:

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Bright.Eyes:

AnnaNonamus
by Spanky Pants :) on Oct. 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Girl Scouts has some religious basis, but it does not teach or preach religion. It also support several types of religion, not just Christianity.

The GS organization is very open towards girls of any belief, and is accomodating to all girls. Unlike the BS organization, we also allow Gay girls to be involved, and even Transgender girls, etc.

Aside from that, Scouts only does 2 fundraisers per year- Cookies at one time, and a Nut/Candy & Magazine sale (all held at the same time as a single fundraiser)

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

yes, we are Hindu and I questioned it when we started to make sure we were not going to be fed Christian propaganda or that my dd would be ostracized for not being Christian, she isnt, we are on our second year of Daisy Scouts and we love it...you know there is a patch to earn about her faith, maybe that would be a good starting place for your dd to look into things to see what she thinks about religion and the possibility of God

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN