Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does your child have a "white" pupil when photographed? EDITED at end of OP

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:57 PM
  • 120 Replies

Retinoblastoma is a malignant tumor on the retina, the light-sensing part of the eye, and is highly curable if treated early. This type of cancer can be present in one or both eyes.

What Causes Retinoblastoma?

Eyes begin to develop very early in the womb. Rapidly growing cells in the eye, called retinoblasts, will eventually mature and form the retina, the light-sensing part of the eye that is located in the back of the eye. Sometimes, these specialized cells do not stop reproducing and form a tumor on the retina. These tumors may continue to grow, filling almost the entire vitreous humor (the jellylike substances the fills the eyeball). These tumors can also break off and spread to other parts of the eye and eventually outside to lymph nodes and other organs.

Who Gets Retinoblastoma?

Retinoblastoma occurs most often in children 5 years and under. It rarely occurs in adults. Between 200 and 300 children are diagnosed with retinoblastoma each year, affecting one in every 20,000. About 40% of all cases of retinoblastoma are inherited, meaning the defective cancer gene is passed on from parent to child. Retinoblastoma occurs about 75% of the time in one eye, and 25% of the time in both eyes. Inherited retinoblastoma is more likely to occur in both eyes.

What Are the Symptoms of Retinoblastoma?

Symptoms of retinoblastoma include:

• A pupil that appears white when light is shone into it. This may mean that a retinal tumor is present. Blood vessels in the back of the eye will normally reflect red.
  • Eyes that may not move or focus in the same direction.
  • Eye pain.
  • A pupil that is constantly dilated.
  • Red eye or eyes.

I have posted 3 photos of young children with retinoblastoma.  If you notice in the last photo, the little boy has a white flash of a camera in one eye, but the other eye, the entire black pupil is missing and in its place is a rather large and consuming white area?  Don't get freaked out about white flash from a camera.  It's different.  One mama commented that when a pediatrician checks your child's eyes, he will first turn off the lights in the room to check.  And another mama commented that the flash from your iPhone is different than the flash from a regular camera, or even the instrument your doctor uses.

by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 5:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bitterroot
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM

BUMP

lilmoosesmom
by Cat on Oct. 22, 2012 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bitterroot
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 6:16 PM
1 mom liked this

This information could save a child's life.  Please, bump.

kaitlynherring
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRinehart2010
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM

oh my gosh this lady was on my what to expec twhen expect birth board!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM
No, but I follow a blog and that is how she found out one of her twins had cancer.
a_emily21
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Bump

mom2three2012
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 6:24 PM
2 moms liked this

They do this eye test on my kids at school! They take a picture and look at the pupils!  I have to sign a form releasing them to take the picture...but I always do!

shamillionaire
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2012 at 6:24 PM
No bump....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bitterroot
by on Oct. 22, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Quoting mom2three2012:

They do this eye test on my kids at school! They take a picture and look at the pupils!  I have to sign a form releasing them to take the picture...but I always do!

Children as young as newborns and up through age 10 have the highest incidence of retinoblastoma.

Check your friends' photos, too!  They may not know about this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN