Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food Stamps are ridiculous!

Posted by   + Show Post
I know of a girl who get a little over $800 a month in food stamps for her, her boyfriend and her 8 month old daughter. Her boyfriend works full time at Dunkin Donuts and she does not work. I think this is a gross over payment in food stamps! How could you possibly need $800 a month for 2 people and baby food?!

I have food stamps. I finally decided to get them when I was 8 months pregnant because both our cars shit the bed and we had a few extra medical bills for my SO and were struggling to make rent nevermind have the extra money to buy another car. I got $170 before my son was born and it was bumped up to $370 after my son was born. My hours were then cut in half at work (SO works full time and I work pt and yes I have been looking for a 2nd job: for 8 months now) and they told me they were going to increase my food stamps to $500! I honestly told them not to! $370 has us eating comfortably and there is enough left over for me to buy jars of baby food to stock up for when my son turns 6 months old and starts on solids (he is almost 3 months and is breastfed and we supplement with formula when I am at work because I do not produce enough to pump enough bottles). What in the world would we do with $500??? What in the world does this girl do with $800?!?

It makes me so angry! This girl gets $800 yet my best friend works 2 jobs and can barely make rent and gets $60 for her and her son! Her ex has been in jail since she was 7 months pregnant and has never paid his CS. How does the government do their math?!?

Am I the only one who see's how outrageous this is??

**EDIT** Yes she is on WIC and no she does not get the cash assistance. Like I said in one of my posts, she called Food Stamps right in front of me RIGHT AFTER IT WAS BUMPED UP and her balance was $800 even and it gives you your food stamps balance and cash balance seperately and her cash balance said $0.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM
We ran into.some financial problems a few months ago. My dh is military and I work at a daycare. I was suprised to learn e would be getting 1398 a month. We have 12, 11, 7, and an.8 month old. We always have extra left over.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM

My sister has 3 kids and she gets around that much. She also has a full time job and is a single mom.

She doesn't use nearly that much. AND they eat super healthy, organic stuff which is twice the price of regular food.

I don't get enough FS for me, my mom and 3 year old. I make about a third of what my sister does and I get about $270/month. So my sister lots of times gives me $100 off of her's. I don't buy it, she just gives me it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 24, 2012 at 12:10 PM
$800 for 2 people and a baby!?
Bm gets $800 for her and her 80 kids lol jk she has 6 with several different dads, but thats besides the point. The people in your post are getting too much.
Wyattlucasmama
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM

The way I am figuring(if she is not breastfeeding or on WIC as well) she might be spending close to $250+ a month in formula alone. So that could account for some of what she is using them for.

dancer
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

She probably only told them it was just her and the baby.  People lie all the time. Government workers(no offense to anyone) only the ones I have had contact with are stupid!

martini57
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM
2 moms liked this
I was on food stamps for a few months when I needed it. It was about 360. Then I got married. So my husband had to be added but they told us he couldn't get them BC he was in school. I think people in school trying to better themselves should have help not people just living off the stuff!
bear.katten
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Yes it is minimum wage.

Quoting Kat31:

That is off. I know of a couple with 3 kids and only one parent works and they get 430 a month. Is Dunkin Donuts minimum wage?

martini57
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM
I was on food stamps for a few months when I needed it. It was about 360. Then I got married. So my husband had to be added but they told us he couldn't get them BC he was in school. I think people in school trying to better themselves should have help not people just living off the stuff!
RelaxedMom2-3
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I am not sure what rules they go by to determine what family gets off. Whatever it is though they need to change it. My sister has three kids. Her dh is working and she is unemployed at the moment. She didn't qualify for any FS. Screwed up big time.

bear.katten
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM
Yes because when she forst got it she said "We have $800 a month on food stamps, why do you only have $370?" and I told her the case worker must have told her the wrong number and she said no listen, and dialed her card number and it was $800!

Quoting Anonymous:

Ae you sure she is telling the truth?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured