Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should healthcare workers represent good health?

Posted by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM
  • 10 Replies

I understand that this country has an epidemic of unhealthy attitudes and lifestyle, but when we seek help for these things, do you find it appalling when your healthcare provider looks like they just got off their cigarette break or you know them and they DID just get off their cigarette break?  What about when you see people in scrubs sitting up at a bar having a drink and a cigarette after work?  What about obese nurses and doctors? 

When I was pregnant with my son, a Midwife told me to stop gaining so much weight, and I told her to take her own advice.  I never went back to her obviously.  I didn't trust a woman like that to deliver my son.

What are your opinions on this?

by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rnchelle93
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:32 AM
I am a nursing student, and I am healthy. I hate working with overweight nurses and drs, because they are 9 times out of 10 lazy. They're usually morbid obese, not just a bit heavy, and they can't bend down, can't maneuver around the tight rooms, can't move quickly in an emergency, and spend the majority of their time sitting. The smokers are just as bad because they can't really breathe, they always have to walk and in critical care, that isn't a good thing. As far as being a patient goes, I lose respect for overweight or unhealthy individuals in healthcare, because they know the dangers, they know the resources and steps to take to be healthy, and they don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ivory_Mom1
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I think they should BUT I think everyone has to remember that not EVERYONE is bigger and unhealthy.  Obviously being obese is not is good idea, but some people cannot help it no matter how much they change their diet and/or exercise.

I know someone in med school, here in the US.  He is currently doing his rotations.  He spends 10 to 12 hours a day at the hospital with only one break to eat and has to buy the cafeteria food because its not a lot of time, especially when on call.  He is vegetarian, he walks to the hospital every day (2 miles there and then back) and then also has to spend time studying.  He is far from lazy, yet is roughly 40 lbs overweight.  He is also in his late 30s.  He doesn't smoke and doesn't drink.

Since I've met him, I try not to judge.  I can never know what their schedule is like and as long as they know how to do their job, what they do in their personal time is no concern of mine.

alc4evermom
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Quoting rnchelle93:

I am a nursing student, and I am healthy. I hate working with overweight nurses and drs, because they are 9 times out of 10 lazy. They're usually morbid obese, not just a bit heavy, and they can't bend down, can't maneuver around the tight rooms, can't move quickly in an emergency, and spend the majority of their time sitting. The smokers are just as bad because they can't really breathe, they always have to walk and in critical care, that isn't a good thing. As far as being a patient goes, I lose respect for overweight or unhealthy individuals in healthcare, because they know the dangers, they know the resources and steps to take to be healthy, and they don't.

omg I didn't even think of the space they would take up in a tight room during an emergency.  Good lord!!!  I'm not trying to be mean, but this is serious problem!!!!

alc4evermom
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Quoting Ivory_Mom1:

I think they should BUT I think everyone has to remember that not EVERYONE is bigger and unhealthy.  Obviously being obese is not is good idea, but some people cannot help it no matter how much they change their diet and/or exercise.

I know someone in med school, here in the US.  He is currently doing his rotations.  He spends 10 to 12 hours a day at the hospital with only one break to eat and has to buy the cafeteria food because its not a lot of time, especially when on call.  He is vegetarian, he walks to the hospital every day (2 miles there and then back) and then also has to spend time studying.  He is far from lazy, yet is roughly 40 lbs overweight.  He is also in his late 30s.  He doesn't smoke and doesn't drink.

Since I've met him, I try not to judge.  I can never know what their schedule is like and as long as they know how to do their job, what they do in their personal time is no concern of mine.

I agree that everyone is built differently, but I believe that EVERYONE has the ability to be fit.  I have to work very hard to be fit, so I know that there are no excuses.  And you made a good point;  the health care field has him so busy and exhausted, he may not have the time or energy to work on his weight problem----which is absurd for the health care field to even condone that behavior, but they do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Same here. Don't tell me to lose weight or quit smoking or my illness is minor when you yourself are over weight and had gastric bypass and still have a lot to lose and ear a block of cheese for lunch, just got off your smoke break or you constantly are in the ER for a sciatic nerve pain.
singlemama0905
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:45 AM
A lot of people in healthcare are lazy, over weight or not. I'm a cna/ma right now, in school for nursing, and the people I've had the most issues with are healthy..just lazy. Seems to be a chronic problem with any healthcare. I'm personally not at the weight I'd like to be, actually was about 70ish pounds overweight about a yr ago...but I was far from lazy even then. I work assisted living memory support..far from bein a true assisted living with tons of transfers and mechanical lifts.. I had to sprint more often than not, got to deal with breakin gb up physical fights and got attacked myself..its not about weight so much as personality and work ethics. I've since lost weight..not sure how much since I dont weigh myself, but I've dropped 2 sizes..almost 3...and I'm no harder worker than I was before.

I do however agree that being overweight doesnt look the best with healthcare..i often wonder about the whole smoking thing. Know the risks..so why keep smokin.

Quoting rnchelle93:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rnchelle93
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:45 AM
It is a huge problem. Even in non emergency, the rooms are tight, getting to the oxygen, the call light, etc, isn't easy when you're huge. But overweight individuals are a huge problem for us as workers too, when they are patients, because I can't lift a 300 pound person, and we don't have enough lifts or people to come lift. Obesity is a huge problem in every field.

Quoting alc4evermom:

Quoting rnchelle93:

omg I didn't even think of the space they would take up in a tight room during an emergency.  Good lord!!!  I'm not trying to be mean, but this is serious problem!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ivory_Mom1
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Yes.  He has never been a small man, but he is 5'11 and about 240.  He is rather big boned though and even 220 would look much better on him.  He is hoping to exercise more but between studying and his long days right now, that's just not possible.  I feel bad for him sometimes, he is pretty much exhausted! Lol but he loves what he does and wants to help people so that's the tradeoff he has made for the moment, but he's also in his last year too :)

I do agree everyone has the ability to be fit, but fit doesn't necessarily mean skinny - and I KNOW that's not what you mean :)  By all accounts, he IS healthy...except for the extra weight; however,  it also doesn't prevent him from moving around a room.. he is a pretty fast mover!

They are definitely overworked in all areas, it's also why even though I know they should be healthier, I can't help but feel a bit sorry for their work conditions! They should be able to eat more than they do too, because not eating properly can also cause weight gain.

Quoting alc4evermom:

I agree that everyone is built differently, but I believe that EVERYONE has the ability to be fit.  I have to work very hard to be fit, so I know that there are no excuses.  And you made a good point;  the health care field has him so busy and exhausted, he may not have the time or energy to work on his weight problem----which is absurd for the health care field to even condone that behavior, but they do.

jen2150
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

We are all on our own journey.  Just because you are overweight doesn't mean you aren't working on changing it.  I think she was trying to help you.  I don't care the size of the docotor or nurse.  If they said I was gaining too much weight I would listen.  Laziness is not just for the overweight.  I am far from lazy.  I am obese and take 4 weekly karate classes and go to the gym 2-3 times per week.  The idea that overweight people are lazy is very stupid.  Laziness has to do with the individual and not  how overweight they are.

stefvan
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 10:59 AM

They should - but many nurses are overweight.  Why?  Because they eat on the go all the time.  My mom worked nights and she ate all night to help stay awake.  Not always healthy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)