Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

would you be upset if your chikds teacher did this

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
dd is in K and has been going since the mjddle of august. Yesterday was her first day of finger painting and she was given a print out of a spider to paint and dd was tild hers wouldnt be displayed in the hallway with the rest of the class because she painted over the spider.
She was very upset and I didnt send her to school today bc I plan on going to speak w the teacher. This is the teachers first year at teaching K and she is treating them as if they are her old 3rd graders.
am I over reacting?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Replies (141-150):
beerabitch69
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 9:15 PM
So she didn't follow directions? I'm confused.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I may agree with the sentiment, but that last line was nasty and passive agressive. 

Quoting bleumonster:

I agree with this. Have a talk with the teacher and ask for a redo maybe but you are making a way big deal out of this.

Quoting Anonymous:I agre

Yes you are overreacting. In kindergarten a child should know how to finger paint a printed out spider and follow directions. This teacher has high expectations for her students apparently and will push them to do their best.

Let me guess your one of those parents who think little Susie needs a trophy for participating. Life isn't always fair.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I don't think the child should be kept out of school. But I also don't believe a teacher should act like hanging up a picture is something to take away, it's like saying her art work was not good enough. That's kind of harsh to do to a kindergartner. Children do poorly in school if they have low self-esteem. Teacher should have taken her aside and said you didn't follow the rules and we need to work on you keeping in the lines (i mean a teacher is supposed...to teach! right?), and hung up the picture anyways because she did participate. Anyways, this whole life isn't fair buck up stuff is all well and good but so is compassion. I think the younger the child is the more we should lean towards compassion, and participation, and gentle but exact guidance, and the older they get lean to the side of going by the precision of their schoolwork. Kindergarten teachers should be the nicest ones in my opinion. I loved Kindergarten and my teacher was very kind, so I have fond memories, and got a great and positive start to the school years. 

JulesKH
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM

I don't see where mom said she didn't follow directions. We don't know what the directions were. We only know that she fingerpainted over a spider.  We also don't know if this was a "follow the directions" type assignment or an "art project".  I feel like if it was a "follow the directions" type of thing, and her dd consistantly did not follow the directions, the ok, I see not putting it up. If it's a first or rare thing, then I think the teacher could've given her a new paper and let her try again making sure she knew "if you don't do it right we can't put it on the wall". If it's an art project, then the teacher screwed up. Art is about expression. Maybe she doesn't like spiders and only wanted pretty colors on her paper.  Either way, I think it's a good idea to talk to the teacher and get the whole story before getting too upset.

However, I see many people saying it was wrong to keep the child home. If that had happened to me when I was a kid, my mom wouldn't have had much choice but to keep me home until I could understand fully what happened. I was a very emotional child and would've been upset all day at school, probably to the point of making myself sick and having to go home anyway. As an adult, I now know I have an anxiety condition and have ways of controlling it, but no one knew that when i was in kindergarten. Actually in kindergarten, I was terrified of the fire drill, i freaked out. I now know that what i was experiencing was a panic attack, but again, no one then knew that. So was the school wrong to make special arrangements for me so I didn't get so upset? Or should they have just made me "tough it out" and learn to "get over it"? Well, the special arrangement worked. I was able to learn about what was really going on without being scared and by first grade I was a pro at fire drills.

Obviously I don't know this particular child's personality or if she has any "issues" or not, so I don't know if mom was right or wrong to keep her dd home, but I figure she knows her dd and her needs better than anyone else.

SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

These are the people being left to educate our future. smh

If you think you can do a better job then teach not complain. I praise kinder teachers that job is tough most kids haven't been socialized prior or taught anything.
CafeMom Tickers
SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Quoting BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs:

I'm kinda curious to see some coloring or painting (whatever) from the kindergartners of some of the people who have commented on this post.

I keep seeing she should have followed directions, stayed in the lines, blah blah blah.

And all I can do is think back at last year (when my son was in K) and the pictures I saw through the hallways at school and the classroom. It was your typical "scribbles", basically. I honestly don't recall ever seeing one picture that looked "perfect" and not out of the lines. My son is horrible at coloring. It doesn't interest him. But, he surely wasn't "punished" for it. Neither were the other kids. He excels above and beyond in reading and math. Art just isn't his thing.

The more I think about this post, the more I think this teacher really is just a bitch, and should probably consider teaching another grade level.

If this post is here tomorrow I will post pictures from kinder (she is now in 3rd) she did follow directions and it was highly expected of her. It wasn't always in the lines but she tried and that showed. I am raising an independent child not one that cries to me every time the teacher looks at her wrong. They have a wall in her 3rd grade class that is only for math work with a grade of 90 or higher. It makes student work harder to achieve their goals.

Depending on your degree you might not get the grade you want to teach.
CafeMom Tickers
sunnyday05
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 12:09 AM
This.

Quoting ChicMommy06:

She didn't follow directions, this is a lesson. You should have sent her to school. You are sending her the wrong message.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM

That teacher went to college?    Doesn't sound trained-professional....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Quoting Anonymous:

These are the people being left to educate our future. smh

If you think you can do a better job then teach not complain. I praise kinder teachers that job is tough most kids haven't been socialized prior or taught anything.

I have a very good job, thank you. considering I have pre paid 35,000 dollars for my kids "free" education, you bet your ass I will complain. I have a job that if I SUCK, I can get fired. Even if I have worked for more than three years with the company. I will not jump on the bandwagon of " All teachers are saints". Our kids are getting dumber by the day. The teachers are becoming more of a joke by the day. You do not get to tell me what I can and cannot complain about, lady. Who died and made you God?

LuvnMyCrew3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 7:58 PM
At 5????? I thought these were the years to explore. Use it as a lesson, I agree but single her out AT FIVE??? That's ridiculous

Quoting ChicMommy06:

She didn't follow directions, this is a lesson. You should have sent her to school. You are sending her the wrong message.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)