Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

would you be upset if your chikds teacher did this

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
dd is in K and has been going since the mjddle of august. Yesterday was her first day of finger painting and she was given a print out of a spider to paint and dd was tild hers wouldnt be displayed in the hallway with the rest of the class because she painted over the spider.
She was very upset and I didnt send her to school today bc I plan on going to speak w the teacher. This is the teachers first year at teaching K and she is treating them as if they are her old 3rd graders.
am I over reacting?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Replies (41-50):
MamaSusieQ045
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM
I agree

Quoting AnnaNonamus:

Yes, you are over reacting, especially in keeping your daughter home from school over it. The teacher should not have said what she did, but your daughter is never going to learn to deal with disappointment if you sweep in, guns blazing, every time something happens.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes I'd be mad!!
Jynnifer292
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you should have kept her home but the teacher is a twit for doing that to a little kid. A better lesson would have been, you painted over the spider, you need to do it again so we can hang it in the hallway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM
4 moms liked this

Teacher here:  that is NOT appropriate teaching practice.  Art is subjective...kids are is EXTREAMLY subjective :) Meaning there is no right or wrong, good or bad.  ALL kids should be praised for working hard and artwork should be displayed!

Take this info and go see the teacher!

mommyj3559
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:50 AM
No youre not overreacting. Talk to the principle then to her teacher. She has no right doing that.
jamiebell
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:52 AM
My son has a fine motor delay and is still learning to stay in the lines. Even after 2 years of working w/ an occupational therapist, he is close but not 100%. Should he be shamed because he didn't color perfect? No. Nor should he receive special attention due to his delay. It's kindergarten for god sakes, hang all the pictures up, it teaches take pride in your work. It had nothing to do with follow directions if they can't stay in the lines. I would not have kept.my kid home from school over this. I think op and teacher over reacted.

Quoting CABZS:

IDK both my kids could paint & color in the lines in Kindergarten.  Didn't always happen but if they were told to they would.

So if your DD didn't follow directions then what lesson have you taught her?

I'm sorry I'm not one of those parents where I coddle my child & think every child should ALWAYS get something or be able to participate.

I think the only thing I would have done was talk to the teacher & tell her she could've explained it better & maybe given a 2nd chance.  But I definitely wouldn't have kept her out of school.

3griffboyz
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Overreacted yes!!! You should have sent her to school and set up a parent/teacher conference with her. Now when your child feels she is treated unfairly she's gonna come to you whether she's right or wrong
ripemango
by Platinum Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM

that seems just a little dramatic.

Quoting Anonymous:

dd is in K and has been going since the mjddle of august. Yesterday was her first day of finger painting and she was given a print out of a spider to paint and dd was tild hers wouldnt be displayed in the hallway with the rest of the class because she painted over the spider.
She was very upset and I didnt send her to school today bc I plan on going to speak w the teacher. This is the teachers first year at teaching K and she is treating them as if they are her old 3rd graders.
am I over reacting?

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

BluePandaDreams
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Did teacher tell the kids not to paint over the spider?  If so, your child failed to follow directions, which is important for her to be able to succeed in both school and life. You did your child a great dis-service keeping her home as she will both have to follow directions and experience set backs and consequences for not following said directions. 

And, yes, I do believe you are over reacting.

KKmommy3
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I'd be upset, but I would not keep my child home because of it.  I would have called or emailed the teacher and the principal that day and found out what the problem is.  I usually resolve misunderstandings quickly and without much confrontation.  I also wouldn't like to cause my child any further embarrassment or concern over something like this. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN