Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just don't believe I'm the only mom who drinks and breastfeeds

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
OK, yes, I drink, and I also exclusively breastfeed my baby. No, I don't get *sloshed* and breastfeed...and I may have more than a glass or two (or three) of wine, and still breastfeed. It's not every night, or even every week, but it happens. I believe that breastmilk from a mom who drinks on occasion is better than formula any day. (Yes I do have expressed milk to feed if I really want to tie one on, but in that case my baby would be with a sitter.) Everyone here will probably eviscerate me...but I still don't believe I'm the only one!
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
kfroz0415
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I did once he was a bit older. At first with feedings being 1-2 hours apart, it just didn't seem like I could guarantee safe spacing. 

If I was going out for my birthday I would pump like a mo fo before hand for the sitter (aka my momma. lol). I would go out with my friend have a beer or two, wait a few hours come home and nurse on occasion. My doctor and nursing educator both said it was ok. 

curlycupcake
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:27 PM
2 moms liked this
Very little alcohol makes into the milk. Milk is made by FAT, not by blood. Alcohol goes into the bloodstream not into your fat cells. Drinking in moderation is totally fine. Where you really have to watch it is sleeping. Many bf'ers also cosleep. Do not ever cosleep if you've been drinking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
curlycupcake
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:29 PM
5 moms liked this
Fetal alcohol trouble. Pray tell, how we're you a fetus at 2 months old? Lol. C'mon now. Try harder please.

Quoting Anonymous:

Uh bullshit! Sorry but if it had been hours then no.way in hell! Ass soon as its out of your blood its outta your milk! Haha!

Quoting squeekers:

when I was just short of 2 months old, my mother went to a new years party and drank. the next morning she breast fed me and got me so sick dad had to take me to the nearest hospital with fetal alcohol trouble.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MurphyTTC
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM
I don't know you but, I might just love you!
Thank goodness some of us know the facts!

Quoting curlycupcake:

Very little alcohol makes into the milk. Milk is made by FAT, not by blood. Alcohol goes into the bloodstream not into your fat cells. Drinking in moderation is totally fine. Where you really have to watch it is sleeping. Many bf'ers also cosleep. Do not ever cosleep if you've been drinking.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twinmom86
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM
As long as you give the baby breast milk that you pumped when you weren't drinking then it's ok. If you have any alcohol in your system though it will be passed on to the baby.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:31 PM

yup

Quoting Anonymous:

No I don't sorry. I've breast fed two babies and I never drank for two reasons. One I don't want to pass it to my baby and two I don't drink at all when I'm in charge of my children. That's how accidents happen. I'm not trying to sound stuck up. I'm giving you my reasoning.

RadnRem
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Its perfectly fine to bf and drink some alcohol. Not get drunk and them go nurse your baby. Not a mom that drinks throat and had a high tolerance.

But generally nursing and drinking is just fine! It clears out of your milk just as it does your bloodstream.

General rule of thumb....safe to drive is safe to nurse.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ireallydontcare
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I don't do it, because I am not a drinker. I also do not believe it is horrible for you to do so.

TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I just finished off a cooler and was breast feeding DS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM
I am sure you not the only one and I don't really see anything wrong with a drink here and there. I however am not one, I have been pregnant and breastfed for over a year with each, no drinking.
Just not much of a drinker I suppose.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured