Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So my man and my brother almost came to blows last night...long story, but who do you think was right?

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM
  • 38 Replies
My mom recently house-sat for me while we were on vacation. She had her best friend (who is 20 years older than her and my kids call her 'Grandma' as well) over and she had my alcoholic brother over while we were gone.

When we moved into our house in January, we put an unopened bottle of tequila and an unopened bottle of vodka in the freezer. So far, we haven't touched either. We don't really drink. My mom picked us up from the airport Monday night and dropped us off at home. Not long after she left, my Mr. Man notices the vodka had been opened and there was like two shots gone out of it. We were kind of laughing about which one if them if might've been, but no big deal.

We went into the bedroom to put stuff away. We own several hand guns and a rifle, which we keep in our room. Mr. Man has a collection of expensive watches, I have some jewlery - all was where it should be. Then he grabs this little change bank (a cardboard tube that starbursts came in with a plastic top with a slit in it, nothing major.) He's been throwing his change in there since last Hanukkah. We keep it behind the tv in our bedroom next to the baby's piggy bank. Every once in awhile he accuses me of stealing quarters out of it, which I don't. So when he grabbed it and said money was missing I didn't believe him at first. He showed me, now it's only got like 30 pennies in it. All the silver is gone, so I checked the baby's piggybank- same thing, missing about $18. Damn.

I KNOW my mom didn't do it. I KNOW my brother did. He's minimally employed and takes change/cigarettes from our mom freely, she just doesn't care. So I tell her what's up and she's pissed at him. The $ isn't the big deal, but why can't we trust him in our house? What was he doing in our bedroom? And emptying a piggybank that obviously belongs to your 4-month-old neice is low. She agrees and says she's going to "let him have it and make him put the $ back" when she sees him. Then I made plans for dinner Friday night. She doesn't want to come over to our house, so we make a roast and take it over to her house. When we get there, my brother is there and things are tense immediately.

My mom and my brother are talking to each other like things are normal, Mr. Man and I are just being quiet. My brother goes outside for a cigarette and I ask my mom why he's there, I don't feel like feeding him, nothing's been resolved, I just don't want to be around him right now. He should go home. My mom tells me it's ok because she asked him if he did it and he said no. Problem solved. Mr. Man says he left his phone outside and goes out. My mom and I talk for another minute an then she leaves me with the baby and goes outside because she just realized her precious baby boy is out there alone with an angry, 6 ft 270 lb. man who thinks baby boy stole from him.

Apparently, she got out there just in time and had to get right in the middle between them. Mr. Man is demanding "come on, dude. It was either you or your mom. Lets just have the truth. I have a family to take care of. I support your sister, our kid, her other two kids...you live at home with your dad, I hired you at my business and you steal from me? From my daughter?" The neighbors 2 doors down are in their garage yelling "kick his ass!" My mom all but said she was going to call the cops. Mr. Man was telling her to move and let brother take what he had comeing. My brother says,"look man, I didn't take it. I don't know if she (mom) did, but I didn't." Now Mr. Man is pissed that he tried to say my mom could've done it. Comes in and tells me to pack up the baby. We left the roast and the cookies I made and got in the car. I took ONE last effort to say to my mom, "Why did you have him here? You couldn't have said to him, Anni's (what she calls me) is on her way over. She's not too happy with you. Why don't you stop over tomorrow?" Se tells me her kids are always welcome at the house no matter what and she's not going to turn him out. We are being petty at this point.

So what do you think? I'm overreacting? Not a big deal? I just thought if there was some time and space between the incidence and seeing my brother, there wouldn't have been such hostility and I blame my mom a little for not handling the situation. I mean, did she really think I wanted to walk in and have dinner with him?

My mom dropped the roast off on my porch, along with some Italian bread, some wine coolers and an evelope with $10. She thinks that makes it right. I appreciate her effort and understand her position, I wish she'd understand my anger with my brother. I'm glad Mr. Man confronted him, he needed it. While most of me is glad he didn't actually hit him, he deserved it. My mom's been explaining away his bad behavior and laughing off his problems his whole life. Finally, my brother screwed with someone my mom can't bullshit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamie_85
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 1:50 PM
He stole from a baby! He's wrong. Period.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NunezMom
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 3:49 PM
I've been there! He's totally wrong your man had every right to be pissed. And for your mom to drop that off on the porch>?< I didn't talj to my family for about a month after our drama..Good luck..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Why did your mom allow other people in your home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM
He is SO wrong.

However, I don't know exactly what you expected your mom to do, she confronted him about it, he still lied. Apparently he doesn't live under her roof, & is a grown man, she's going above & beyond by even attempting to replace the money.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 4:01 PM
I know. I let her know I appreciated her gesture. What an awkward position to be in, I'm so disappointed with my brother. I didn't want to stress my mom out with it, but I don't think brother and I should've been hanging out so soon.

Quoting Litlmama87:

He is SO wrong.

However, I don't know exactly what you expected your mom to do, she confronted him about it, he still lied. Apparently he doesn't live under her roof, & is a grown man, she's going above & beyond by even attempting to replace the money.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 4:01 PM
1 mom liked this

That's sad your mom enables him. Just make up with them but don't allow him in your house anymore. Make it very clear to your mom he isn't allowed over. I'm sorry that's so sad.

MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Not sure. I mean, I didn't expect her to just sit aroud and do nothing. I pretty much assumed her BFF would be there, they're always together. I was surprised to hear my brother was around, though.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Why did your mom allow other people in your home?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyAddie
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM
That's the plan. I don't want to beat it to death, but it's nice to know my feelings about it are justified.

Quoting littlesippycup:

That's sad your mom enables him. Just make up with them but don't allow him in your house anymore. Make it very clear to your mom he isn't allowed over. I'm sorry that's so sad.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaLa_Ivory
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Mr. Man. I just can't read this story seriously.

Someones lying..whatever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured