Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

immediate help please *response update

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Please don't critize me for saying this. I just need advise. Well my 8yo dd's hair is super super thick. Mexican /Indian mixture We have always had problem with her head being extra sesitive. Her hair when she was younger was past her butt. When she became 6 1/2 she no longer wanted anyone to brush her hair. So we let her manage her own hair and refuses to brush it herself and refuses to let anyone else brush it. Well I cut it short and sent 16 1/2 inches to locks for love. Now she is 8 and her hair is back to the middle of her back. She tells us she brushes it pulls it up in a pony tail and we leave for school. Well I just went to take it down and cut it shorter and her hair is so matted to her scalp in the center of her brashed hair idk what to do. I put massive conditioner and olive oil in her hair to try and brush through she threw such a tantrum the neighbors called the cops. Which is why I usually avoid getting her upset because every time she is upset the neighbors call the cops. What do I do to get her hair brushed out? Btw I can't afford to go to a salon and have them do it. My bffl says the way my dd acts that a salon would just refuse her anyways.

*oh the whole response on the bob cut. That is what my plan was I just need to get the mats out before it can be cut. If I don't get them out she will have uneven hair cut.
*She can only use Johnson and Johnson if I use other shampoos she breaks out in little bumps and itches all night. I use mane & tail on my hair though.
*for the Mommy about threatened to shave her hair I have done that. She just says no you won't which she is right.
This is the cut she has agreed to get I offered a pixie cut she says this one she likes link on pg.4

*mayo /egg (lol salad dressing) is now set into her hair. How long do I leave it? Or am I supposed to be brushing it while in her hair?
*It is now half cut and brushed finally 4hrs later. The bendryl knocked her out. So when she wakes up in the morning I will finish the cut. Wow thank you to the supportive mommies who did not belittle or put down me or my daughter.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Replies (31-40):
bri2011
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Cut it out. Just cut off the matted section.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1RedHottMama
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 8:57 PM
I would give her a Benadryl to calm her down some and when she does completely saturate the matted part and let it sit for awhile while you explain to her that you have to get the matts out or if they see it at school that they may call the police again because they will think you don't take care of her or she could get sores and have to cut all of her hair off. Take a brush with big plastic teeth and start at the tip of the hair and lightly brush until you have the end unmatted and then work your way up. If she has several matts it may take all weekend to get them all out and once the Benadryl wears off if her scalp is sore give her some childrens Tylenol. After all of the matts are out use olive oil all over and leave it on for an hour or so and then rinse it well and wash it like you normally do. Tell her you will help her brush her hair for awhile until she can do it by herself and that even some adults have trouble with there hair. I would also let her watch tv or play with a favorite toy while you are doing her hair and maybe either let her watch a little extra tv,stay up a little late or have a special snack as a suprise after you are done with her hair. I have naturally curly,thick and dry hair to my waist and my neices hair as well as a friends daughter is like mine and I have used this procedure before just not as long as mine.
harehelper
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 8:58 PM

I would say cut it off. My daughter and I went through this too, her hair used to be down to her butt and I spent fifteen minutes every morning brushing it out and braiding it. Whne she started making a big fuss about having it done and refused to do it herself, she got a drastic cut. It just barely covers her ears now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Thank you for being so understanding. I have had olive oil in her hair over an hour now. I think it is really trying to help. I am going to try the mayo /egg thing now added into the conditioner olive oil mixture that is in it now.

Quoting 1RedHottMama:

I would give her a Benadryl to calm her down some and when she does completely saturate the matted part and let it sit for awhile while you explain to her that you have to get the matts out or if they see it at school that they may call the police again because they will think you don't take care of her or she could get sores and have to cut all of her hair off. Take a brush with big plastic teeth and start at the tip of the hair and lightly brush until you have the end unmatted and then work your way up. If she has several matts it may take all weekend to get them all out and once the Benadryl wears off if her scalp is sore give her some childrens Tylenol. After all of the matts are out use olive oil all over and leave it on for an hour or so and then rinse it well and wash it like you normally do. Tell her you will help her brush her hair for awhile until she can do it by herself and that even some adults have trouble with there hair. I would also let her watch tv or play with a favorite toy while you are doing her hair and maybe either let her watch a little extra tv,stay up a little late or have a special snack as a suprise after you are done with her hair. I have naturally curly,thick and dry hair to my waist and my neices hair as well as a friends daughter is like mine and I have used this procedure before just not as long as mine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2012 at 9:10 PM
www.hairfinder.com/hairstyles8/coiffco3.jpg

the cut I am giving her
soon2bmommyof2
by Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Start at the bottom and only do a tiny bit at a time. I also think the mom that said to use show sheen was on to something lol!! That's amazing stuff!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TexanMomOf6
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM

My oldest daughter had Shirley Temple curls naturally. She acted like I was killing her. I didn't even have to touch her with the brush and she'd be screaming. Her hair got cut short!

I looked at the cut, it's cute but with super thick hair, i don't know if that one would work. I would recommend finding several pictures of short cuts to show to the beautician to get her opinion on what would work. I live in a very small town and we have 5 beauty shops that charge from 12-30$ for a haircut. It's worth having a professional do it, at least the first time. It would be tricky for an inexperienced person to cut hair correctly. But if you watch how it's done you may be able to do it the next time.

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM

LOL.  You're gonna be sorry you put mayonaise in her hair.  It's a bitch to get out.  Just try to comb out the tangles, bit by bit.  Do not allow her to scream though.  If she is going to throw a tantrum at age 8, you really should cut off her hair.  That's ridiculous behavior for an 8 yo.  Get control now, or you're in for a world of hurt when she gets to the tween years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM
I was sick with the flu for a week and a half and I only had enough energy to wash my hair and body but not enough to brush it. The other day for an hour I used kids detangler spray and brushed.

Pain is beauty.
LoveMyLos
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 9:44 PM
Love show sheen!

Quoting lancet98:

Go to the nearest horse gear store, and buy a product called 'Show Sheen'.   Spray it on her hair - it will be very easy to detangle and in fact will cut tangling to a minimum

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)