Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The thought of children enjoying hunting bothers me....S/O

I understand that many people hunt for food and that's fine. Someone has to do it. The thing that gets me is when small children are SO happy about finally getting the chance to kill a deer. My 6 year old cries at those humane society commercials(yes she really cries lol). If I even suggested her shooting a deer she would not be happy with me.

I just don't understand how a child would want to shoot an animal. 

That's just my opinion on the matter. If you don't agree, that's ok too!

by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
Starr1089
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Eh, Im from KY. Thats what we do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM

To some kids, it's just a matter of getting food, no more, so they are happy when they make a kill. My son hates animals getting killed, so it would never be something for him, my husband stopped hunting because it bothered him so much, but we live in upstate NY, lots of kids love to be given the chance to have that responsibility of going out and bringing a meal home to their families.

mama_cullum
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Well we enjoy it and it puts food on the table. It's a part of life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids understand the importance of hunting for food and hunting for the well-being of the animals-especially the deer in this area. I don't hunt and I never could but my kids are allowed to go hunting with family if they want to.
nightowlshan
by Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:32 PM
I cry at humane society commercials too, but I was raised with a respect of firearms, and the understanding that how we ate as well as we did depended on the meat put in the freezer.

There were "rules" set forth by my dad on the firearms I had access to, the areas I could hunt, and the type/size of deer I was allowed to take on his land. Worked well for us and kept us from needing govmt assistance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smalltownmom03
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM
It's not like their parents are handing them the gun and allowing them to go by themselves.

Quoting Ginger0104:

Agreed.  It bothers me that young children are handling firearms.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AHmom103
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:33 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids are being raised to know that those animals are food, and our oldest at least is very excited about it, because she likes to help. She thinks it's a big deal that she helps feed us with the gardening, and she's very excited to go hunting with her daddy, for the same reason. She's only 5, so she can't actually hunt for a few years, but she's got a very good attitude about it. We also make sure that the kids are used to seeing the dead animals, because we don't want them freaking out about it. They see every deer my husband brings home, they watch us skin and butcher them too. To them, it's perfectly normal.

angierose7679
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM
We hunt here. My DS got his 1st deer today :) is this in reference to the post I made today?? I see nothin wrong with it. I know everyone is different. It's just a part of life.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I think they are ok with it because their parents are. Most of them wouldn't be ok with it, if they weren't influenced by Mommy and/or Daddy, IMO.

addiecakesmommy
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Quoting angierose7679:

We hunt here. My DS got his 1st deer today :) is this in reference to the post I made today?? I see nothin wrong with it. I know everyone is different. It's just a part of life.

I can't remember which post. Someone posted something about their 5 year old hunting so it may have been you lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN