Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The thought of children enjoying hunting bothers me....S/O

I understand that many people hunt for food and that's fine. Someone has to do it. The thing that gets me is when small children are SO happy about finally getting the chance to kill a deer. My 6 year old cries at those humane society commercials(yes she really cries lol). If I even suggested her shooting a deer she would not be happy with me.

I just don't understand how a child would want to shoot an animal. 

That's just my opinion on the matter. If you don't agree, that's ok too!

by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Replies (31-40):
sweetz684
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM
For me it's like a little boy prancing around with his moms heels and purse. I'd say most kids that like to hunt have a dad, grandpa, mom who hunt. They want to be like them. Just like the little boy wearing heels. He wants to be grown up. If a child is not exposed to it then they probably wouldn't want to hunt.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
my123sons
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Everyone hunts around here. Would you rather deer overpopulate and starve?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smurfbitebug
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM
3 moms liked this

I can understand how you might feel that way if you didn't know all the teaching behind it. They are taught firearm safety. They are taught respect for their environment, respect for the animals (you do not ever, ever make them suffer, you do not kill a female unless it's either sex, you do not kill a baby, you do not hunt anything that it is not legal to hunt for, or that is not in season) respect for fellow human beings (no trespassing, written permissions to hunt, respect for game wardens/law officials/laws in general) They are also contributing to conservation and animal health.

They are so proud of themselves because it's a rite of passage. They are growing up, and they didn't just "kill a deer". They are carrying on a tradition, they are making their parents proud, they are practicing skills, and they are doing good for the animals and environment as well as for their family. They have every right to be proud.

gma12.1
by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Most ppl don't let small kids actually shoot the animal because the weapon is larger than they are. All the kids that I know that are hunters like their parents are really more compassionate where animals are concerned than other kids.

My Second time around & loving it!
boy n girl     toddler girlLina

The Twins

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM
I kind of agree. I went from living in the burbs to the country. Its just a different way of life.
Cymbeline
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I was raised around gun safety and shot competitively. I also enjoyed hunting when I was of legal age (12 in PA).

As an adult, I don't think I could ever take an interest in hunting. Hunting at an early age did not make me twisted or less likely to care for animals. In fact, I took in several injured animals as a child. When it was something I couldn't handle, I called the local environmental center and they took them.

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Assuming that you are not a vegetarian, don't you think it is a bit hypocritical to go to the grocery store for you meat while attacking parents for raising their children to know where their food comes from? What is wrong is to raise your children  to think that chicken, beef and pork are meats that come from the grocery store without having the connection to the fact that their food was once a live animal being raised in inhumane conditions.

AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:16 PM
I get it, but I completely disagree with you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hddcooper
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:18 PM
My daughter has to turn the tv off or change the channel when those commercials come on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Eh. Where I grew up hunting is normal and a big thing. I even went.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN