Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The thought of children enjoying hunting bothers me....S/O

I understand that many people hunt for food and that's fine. Someone has to do it. The thing that gets me is when small children are SO happy about finally getting the chance to kill a deer. My 6 year old cries at those humane society commercials(yes she really cries lol). If I even suggested her shooting a deer she would not be happy with me.

I just don't understand how a child would want to shoot an animal. 

That's just my opinion on the matter. If you don't agree, that's ok too!

by on Oct. 27, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Replies (41-49):
mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:18 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it is much more disturbing that the average kid has no idea that their hamburger used to be a cow.
jb0520
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM
I completely agree!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
addiecakesmommy
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Assuming that you are not a vegetarian, don't you think it is a bit hypocritical to go to the grocery store for you meat while attacking parents for raising their children to know where their food comes from? What is wrong is to raise your children  to think that chicken, beef and pork are meats that come from the grocery store without having the connection to the fact that their food was once a live animal being raised in inhumane conditions.

There is a difference in knowing where it came from and being 5 years old yet getting joy out of killing said animal. 

MissArtsyPants
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I don't like the idea of a small child wanting to kill another living thing or handle a firearm, but I think it is good for them to appreciate how we get our food. Everyone should have an understanding of the "circle of life" (lol), but I definitely don't think they should get excited about killing to kill. If that makes sense?

firemom5906
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter cries at those commercials too but can't wait to shoot her first deer.  For her its food no more.  When she was 2 we hide the wound when we showed her the deer her daddy got cause we thought she would be upset.  She looked at us and said YUM! Around the same time she told her daddy to catch a squirrel that was running in the yard cause she wanted to eat it.  For her it's the meat.  She just started really eatting beef.  She is 6.  She wouldn't eat beef when she was little but she would eat deer. 

addiecakesmommy
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MissArtsyPants:

I don't like the idea of a small child wanting to kill another living thing or handle a firearm, but I think it is good for them to appreciate how we get our food. Everyone should have an understanding of the "circle of life" (lol), but I definitely don't think they should get excited about killing to kill. If that makes sense?

Yes, that makes perfect sense! I feel the exact same way. Like I said, I have nothing against killing for food but for a little kid to get excited about killing something? That just seems odd to me.

alwayskk
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM
How strange.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I agree with you

LyndseyBlake980
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 7:49 PM

my kids go look at the animals when my dad goes hunting they dont want to shoot just watch

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured