Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Track Hurricane Sandy here?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Let's keep track of the Hurricane's progress here.

Where are you? Do you expect to be hit? Have you been hit yet? How bad is it?

I hear that MA has already declared a state of emergency but the storm is still 2 days out from there. Why would they do that?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Replies (31-40):
beachbabies6
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM

i just checked the latest up date , im just going to getthe outer most part im right on the north and south carolina boarder its a couple hours upstate that is going to get it worse

Quoting halleys_mommy_1:

That would be agood idea lol

Quoting beachbabies6:

o , crap i thought it was almost past me , i guess thats what i get for not watching tv , i guess i should turn it on for the latest update

Quoting halleys_mommy_1:

It hadn't made landfall yet.

Quoting beachbabies6:

im on the nc / sc coast , we got some wind gust and a little rain here yesterday , thismorning heavier wind gusts no rain right now , i think its about done for me good luck to everyone else hope you all get out of it as easy as i have !

JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Its barely raining. But they've ordered evacuations for the high flooding risk areas.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is the first I have heard about evacuation orders. Has Philly been hit yet? Based on replies here I'd say no, the storm isn't even close to PA yet.

Quoting JakesMom712:

In philly theyve asked people to evacuate already. Emergency shelters open at 2pm today

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM

If they declare a state of emergency it is easier for the schools to close and less excuse for people not to prepare. 

Toadstoolmama
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Quoting MissTuree:

I'm in Maryland, the governer declared a state of emergency the other day. It's windy, cold and overcast. We're all prepared so we'll see how it goes. :/

I'm supposed to be flying to Boston on Tuesday. Great timing huh!?

So I am expecting delays.

Curious though, what kind of clothes should I pack. How cold is it? I'm from Louisiana so the coldest it gets here I can wear a sweatshirt and be fine.

Are we talking thermals and heavy coats??
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:39 AM
I'm in front royal. Talk here is very conflicting on what we should expect. We are in the red zone and wind is picking up but no rain yet. The sky is dark and the air feels so strange! I didn't know VA declared a state of emergency. Do you know what we are to expect?

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

VA has also declared a state of emergency. We're under a High Wind Warning and a Flood Watch at the moment in Northern VA. The wind kicks up every now and then and it's really overcast but that's it so far. It did get a lot colder. You can feel in the air that something is coming.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:39 AM

MA loses power for over a week EVERY YEAR? Maybe it's time to move the power lines underground. What part of MA is this happening in?

Quoting vwd_johnson:

I'm in mass... they're doing it because every year we have a huuuge storm that takes out most of the state and people lose power for over a week then everyone bitches they weren't prepared for it.

Now the states preparing for it per say.

RarelyALazyDay
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Typically winking facing and calling an entire state out of their minds is joking. It was rediculous and all over the news from people in MA saying they felt the earthquake....that occurred in ME. Usually when the news goes ballistic over weather (either hurricane, blizzard ect) we don't get anything but some power outages and cleaned out grocery stores.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Quoting Toadstoolmama:

Quoting MissTuree:

I'm in Maryland, the governer declared a state of emergency the other day. It's windy, cold and overcast. We're all prepared so we'll see how it goes. :/

I'm supposed to be flying to Boston on Tuesday. Great timing huh!?

So I am expecting delays.

Curious though, what kind of clothes should I pack. How cold is it? I'm from Louisiana so the coldest it gets here I can wear a sweatshirt and be fine.

Are we talking thermals and heavy coats??

Temps have been in the 40s overnight and mostly mid 60s during the day for the past week or so but I have no idea how that will change with the storm coming.

ctfirsttimemom
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I'm in CT.  People are freaking out like they normally do when a storm is predicted.  The models have changed so its looking like we won't take a direct hit.  Hopefully they are right!  But we are predicted to have the worst flooding we've had in 80 years.  2 1/2 years ago was pretty awful for flooding, so I hope its not that bad!  Its supposed to really get going here tomorrow afternoon.  Last Halloween we were out of power for 5 days and some people 10 days, so here's hoping its not that bad again!

MissLoveLyfe
by on Oct. 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Where are you in nj? I'm in south jersey

Quoting bluebunbun:

I'm in nj the direct hit....should hit is late tonight...we have some good wind and crazy skys...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN