Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bumping this since it came up in another post. Confession of the hairy sorts....a must read !!!

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:28 PM
  • 36 Replies
This will serve as my PSA for all the mamas with curly drapery down south.

I've been shaving my girly bits for ten years with no major problems besides the occasional new soap allergy or bout of razor burn here and there. Oh and once I was rudely interrupted with a blast of cold water and nearly sliced myself in half.

Any who , Wednesday afternoon I hopped in the shower , grabbed a fresh razor, soaped down , exfoliated , and started to shave the amazon-esq jungle that had creeped up from down below. When I was done I inspected my handy work and was pleased , no bumps so strays. Patted dry , put on my after shower lotion , put my sensitive skin lotion on the areas known to all to get irritated with clothing after a close shave and went about my day.

Thursday morning I awoke with sore groin muscles , odd I didn't lift anything awkward or heavy the day before besides a case of water and a bag of dog food. As the day progressed and the amount of times the baby went in and out of the car seat along with his things the pain got worse. I really swore up and down I had somehow pulled both groin muscles it hurt that bad. By late afternoon I had the heated seats on full blast praying for a speedy trip home through traffic because my body was beginning to ache. Once home I laid down with my trusty heating pad and a pain pill for 45 minutes or so before I needed to get dinner started.

Thursday evening : As I'm standing in the kitchen noticing the body aches increasing, I suddenly realized I needed to sit down before I fell down. I was sweating , shivering , nausea had kicked in , my groin muscles were on fire and I really thought I might have picked up the flu. I noticed my nether region was starting to get a little stingy and itchy but played it off to the fever and a bit of razor burn. Once my mother arrived like she had planned for dinner I promptly took myself to the walk in clinic as it is very important that my son who is a former 26 weeker and has little to no immune system is not exposed to contagious viruses. At the walk in my fever had risen to 102.5 and I felt like warmed over dog poo. Pee test came back clean , no respiratory symptoms , lungs and heart sound good and clear. The doctor was stumped and said its probably a stomach virus so here is a z- pack but don't take it if you start vomiting or having diarrhea as it will make it worse.

By now I feel like I'm dying and I can't help but cry at getting no answers or relief. I filled the scrip but didn't take it as directed. Bought some sprite and crackers and was prepared for a long night of praying to the porcelain gods. Once I got home I noticed just how bad my vagina was hurting and took a peek to see what the problem was figuring I might need some icy hot for the pulled groin. I was shocked when I was greeted with a bright red swollen shiny hot to the touch pubic area. Concerned now I asked my mom to take a look before she went home , she agreed that that did not look like razor burn as there was hardly any bumps at all. I laid down with a hot rag over the swollen area and jumped on dr google.

After a a short while I came to the conclusion that I had developed some sort of skin infection with rapid onset. Two names stood out , cellulitis or folliculitis , the later not being as serious as the first.

Friday morning I called my obgyn and was given an appointment for 1:30 after I explained to the triage nurse what was going on and she agreed I needed to be seen ASAP. At this point I was sure that no I did not intact pull my groin muscles that the pain was coming from my swollen lymph nodes and that I had some sort of serious infection going on with a fever that extra strength Tylenol couldn't break. At 1pm my baby sitter texted said she couldn't make it , ugh now to waddle to the car with the baby in tow and race to my appointment. ONE HOUR after my appointment time I'm finally called back in tears with a fussy baby. Tried to give a urine sample but missed the cup almost completely because of the swelling. One look though and she confirmed I did intact have the more serious of the two possibilities I had come up with.

Cellulitis is a rapid onset skin infection that can be life threading if not treated quickly and heavily. Which explains why I woke up only in slight pain and was in agony by that night. 500 mg cephalexin 4 times a day , 800 mg of Aleeve per day , a surgical grade skin wash , and hydrocortisone every couple of hours.

Today the swelling is almost gone , the fever broke yesterday afternoon and the groin pain is long forgotten. I still have several days if antibiotic madness ahead of me but I am willing to take the upset stomach over the pain of the past days.

As my doctor said it can happen to anybody but my chances were likely upped due to the fact that I used a brand new sharp razor and have curly pubic hair. I also have insulin resistance which lowers your ability to fight off common infections. Every body has bacteria on their skin no matter how much you wash each day. So after this little fiasco I can proudly say I will never ever ever shave my girly bits again. A trim job as needed sure , but forget the baby bottom smooth look I've become attached to over the last ten years.

So there ya go ladies , no shave November now has new meaning. Ill answer any questions if I can.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM
I ended up in the hospital over cellulitis, you are lucky. I had a cut on the back of my knee and went into the ocean.
Pink.Frosting
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:34 PM

So using a new razor is more dangerous?  I thought we were supposed to use new razors for that...   blank stare

Charliesmommy11
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:35 PM
As did I , apparently when you make a sharp cut across curly hair it folds the hair follicle back in an awkward position and can cause tearing as the hair returns to the growth cycle.

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

So using a new razor is more dangerous?  I thought we were supposed to use new razors for that...   blank stare

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlwaysKISA
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Omfg! That is scary! I'm so glad you are ok!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charliesmommy11
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:36 PM
I'm scared to know what would have happened if I just waited it out after reading all the information from the medical boards.

Quoting wkukid:

I ended up in the hospital over cellulitis, you are lucky. I had a cut on the back of my knee and went into the ocean.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Quoting Charliesmommy11:

I did wait it out sadly. I didn't go in until my fever spiked. I woke up at 99.1 and 30 mins later I was at 102. They originally thought I had MRSA and put me in the infectious diseases area.
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Another reason to wax.

Glad you're doing better though, that's scary!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow! Crazy! Glad you're ok mama!
rawrmommysaurus
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

wow, I am so glad you are ok!  

I had all ready decided to stop shaving, only trimming, as needed. 

Charliesmommy11
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Thanks me too !

Quoting AlwaysKISA:

Omfg! That is scary! I'm so glad you are ok!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)