Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

teens sharing a room

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Should we just go ahead and allow them to share a room? or is that just a little to "liberal"?

Options:

yes...at this point why not?

no, let them sneak around like we had to

NO WAY!! explain why?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 62

View Results

My 16 year old dd asked/informed me that her boyfriend was going to spend thanksgiving vacation with us at the lake house. Fine, no problem. My dh and I are discussing what the rules we should lay out...here is the "issue": 

We know that they are sexually active already (they have been together almost 2 years) and we are ok with that,

We know that one or the other will likely "sneak" into the other one's room (I remember being 16...that is almost exactly how I got pregnant with her)

We have always had a very open relationship with our kids, but this is making us really think about exactly how open do we want it to be.

ETA. any thoughts, ideas, experiences? this is new territory for us...

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 4, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Replies (21-30):
vwd_johnson
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes I would 100% agree with talking to the opposing parents about their thoughts and rules as well. Im sure the parents are already pretty comfortable with the situation because he's going, and I'm sure the parents know eachother pretty well now considering the kids have been dating 2yrs. Or at least I would hope they would by now..

I would never go buying liquor for my childrens friends. Intoxicating others children in my home can be deadly.. giving them a condom is not.

Quoting disneymom2two:

Quoting vwd_johnson:

I would let them share the room. They're going to sneak in anyway, and they're GOING to have sex anyway.. you're facing reality because you know the truth.

Do you feel the same way about drinking?  Teens are going to get drunk anyway so supply them with the liquor and let them drink in your home?  Does the other child's parents get any say?  My kid wouldn't be allowed to spend Thanksgiving vacation away from us in the first place but say for some unknown reason I did allow it, I'd be having a long talk about what the rules would be with the other parent.  If the parent told me they'd be sleeping together, I'd say thanks for the invite but no thanks.  If the parent said they wouldn't be and I found out later they lied, it'd be the last time my child was allowed at their home.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
b.futlz
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 8:06 AM
I spent the night with my ex and we never got pregnant
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JessicaEOH
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I wouldn't have him on the trip with us...and there's no way I'd be ok with my teen having sex.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 5, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Quoting anyotherday:

well, grandma, I think he'd be keeping his little willy at home with his family where it belongs.

CrickettyBoo
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM
I wouldn't let a gf or bf sleep over. Nope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChrissyL90
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM

You really have to ask? 

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM
She INFORMED you?? She didn't ask you??

Who is the parent here?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 5, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I am the parent here...not you. I am fine with the way it was communicated to my husband and I.

and for the other people who have asked:  his mom is fine with the whole arrangement and is aware that they are sexually active as well.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

She INFORMED you?? She didn't ask you??

Who is the parent here?

FIREFOX1336
by on Nov. 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM
She'd be on the floor of me and dh's room. And that's if we even let him come.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN