Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think about a flat tax, across the board?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Fair or Not Fair?

Options:

Fair

Not Fair - explain

Other - explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 136

View Results

Say everyone had to pay 15% in taxes - off of their gross income.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

$2700 is more than I make in two months. It may not make sense to you, but to me that is a lot of money. I don't care about the millionaires - they have it to pay. I don't. A millionaire wouldn't even bat an eye at $150K. But for me, $2700 is the difference between keeping my head above water and drowning.

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting Anonymous:

Not fair. I am low income - 15% would break me. When you make 18K a year, 15% is a whole lot of money.

This makes no sense to me? 15% for you is 2700$. 15% for a millionaire is $150,000. You make less, you pay less. They make more, they pay more.

But you USE the services.  Why should you use them for less than what someone else uses them for?  This idea that the "millionaire" should pay his/her share AND yours is what so many people (myself included) find unfair. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM
I thought that's how it worked? Guess not? Lol It should be!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

eye rolling

Gee thanks for that wonderful little nugget of insight. Sure is a good thing you know everything about me and my life! I wonder if during your education you were taught how to be condescending, judgemental and rude? I'm guessing you were, since you are so good at it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hmmm.. well education is key! Should've made better choices in life!

Quoting Anonymous:

$2700 is more than I make in two months. It may not make sense to you, but to me that is a lot of money. I don't care about the millionaires - they have it to pay. I don't. A millionaire wouldn't even bat an eye at $150K. But for me, $2700 is the difference between keeping my head above water and drowning.

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting Anonymous:

Not fair. I am low income - 15% would break me. When you make 18K a year, 15% is a whole lot of money.

This makes no sense to me? 15% for you is 2700$. 15% for a millionaire is $150,000. You make less, you pay less. They make more, they pay more.

TSNDDY
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM
I wish we only paid 15% that would be awesome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:06 PM

What services do I use, exactly?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting Anonymous:

But you USE the services.  Why should you use them for less than what someone else uses them for?  This idea that the "millionaire" should pay his/her share AND yours is what so many people (myself included) find unfair. 

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes I do.  And I think many keep themselves there because it and PA are alot easier than actually changing things. Many think they DESERVE free time...their kids DESERVE this and that even though their parents haven't earned it.  I think the way our PA is set up it enslaves many to stay on because if they do better themselves they only see what they "loose" instead of what they truly gain.

I was told many times when my 3 sons where small I should quit my job and go on PA as I would have more cash at the end of the month and have more time with my kids.  I refused as I could see the big pic.  It doesn't stay that way forever as you work your way up gaining experience and time in your field and the example it sets for your kids.  Did we ever become well off...NOPE but all three of my kids put themselves through higher education. I managed to raise them all by myself no PA no childsupport.  It was hard and at times I felt like giving up BUT I didn't and don't regret my choices for a moment because they were MY responsibility.  

They WAITED to have families.  OMG imagine that they PLANNED and when one had a close call last year he was ready to do whatever it took but at 27 he is paying his own way through to his masters right now.  

It is amazing that so many act like where you are in life is luck, a roll of the dice.  No its choices, planning, and when planning fails the abilty to see your situation for what it is and formulate a new plan to fix the problem. 

Quoting Lurion:

So you think thousands of people put themselves in the position of having to raise a family on a minimum wage job? Wow, this is getting good. Really amazing. 

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I do think its possible but it would take a huge shift in how this generations minds work.  they would have to dump their entitled attitudes and start to understand ONLY THEY can lift themselves up and actually take responsibility for themselves and their choices. I think its ridiculous to put yourself in a position that you think you should raise a family on a childs and retirees job.  I mean look you actually think its ok to FORCE a business to pay more for non skilled menial labor .  That is the definition of entitled.  

Quoting Lurion:

That's a nice sentiment. Do you know how many people are raising children on minimum wage jobs? 

So do you believe that it is possible to run the entire US economy with young people doing minimum wage jobs and the other 95% of the adult population all doing higher-level jobs? How would that work?

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Lurion:

I voted "other"--I'm for a flat tax, but it should be 10%.

IMO this would have to be done as a package deal for it to work--minimum wage would be automatically adjusted to keep up with inflation (high enough so that minimum wage workers don't also need food stamps to survive or buy health insurance with what's left) and basic health care would be provided to all (single-payer so rates can be negotiated and public cost isn't  outrageous). 

They've done studies that show a 10% worldwide flat tax would provide every person in the world with basic food, shelter and medical care. 

I disagree.  Minimum wage jobs are not meant for grown ups who are raising families.  Instead of making business pay more for menial non skilled jobs these people should be doing something to lift themselves up into anther sector and leave these types of jobs for who they are intended our youth to get work experience and to help put themselves through college.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
IF $2700 is more than what you make in 2 months..It's obvious you've made poor choice in life! Truth hurts rude or not!

Quoting Anonymous:

eye rolling

Gee thanks for that wonderful little nugget of insight. Sure is a good thing you know everything about me and my life! I wonder if during your education you were taught how to be condescending, judgemental and rude? I'm guessing you were, since you are so good at it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

What services do I use, exactly?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting Anonymous:

seriously?  you have no idea what federal and state income taxes are used for? 

ElitestJen
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM
5 moms liked this

It's fair. 

People making minimum wage use the same public services that taxes pay for as the rich people.  Rich people don't use schools, roads, etc. more just because they're rich.  Poor people don't use them less because they're poor. 

The progressive tax system screws the middle class.  You've got a shrinking population paying for both the rich and the poor. 

Last I checked, equality means equal treatment.  What's unequal about flat tax?  A perception that someone else has more money therefore they should pay more?  That's the definition of oppression.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly and what are you doing to change that?  or do you think you'll just ride the train of all the freebies that enitles you to?

Quoting Anonymous:

IF $2700 is more than what you make in four months..It's obvious you've made poor choice in life! Truth hurts rude or not!

Quoting Anonymous:

eye rolling

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)