Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think about a flat tax, across the board?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Fair or Not Fair?

Options:

Fair

Not Fair - explain

Other - explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 136

View Results

Say everyone had to pay 15% in taxes - off of their gross income.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Replies (161-170):
thetrollcat
by Meow on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I think you are kidding yourself. If you think the rich will still pay taxes based on flat tax rate, it isnt going to happen. They support the politicians FINANCIALLY.

Quoting Anonymous:

Because I think the flat tax should be off of the GROSS income.  No deductions, no credits.  This is what you made, this is what you pay.

Quoting thetrollcat:

what makes you think a flat tax is going to get the rich paying their part? In the long run you got the middle class still paying the taxes and a country accused of being Robin Hood stealing from the poor and distributing the poor funding to the poor........

Quoting Anonymous:

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes. 

PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Nope, not even close.  Romney (a 1%er) pays less taxes than I do.  The 1% can afford to pay more.   In fact in the 1950's the top tax rate was 90%!!  

Quoting justinnaimee:

The top 1% pays the vast majority of the taxes in this country. That wouldnt change much. As it stands now the lowest wage earners end up not only paying zero income tax they often get money back thanks to Eric.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

They'd be paying more of their real income as opposed to the wealthy.  The people with the lowest income usually have absolutely no wiggle room, no savings and are always one paycheck away from financial disaster if something happens (unemployment, illness, huge repair bill) where as the wealthy would not be as affected.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Not fair --

The people with the lowest income will still be paying the most taxes.

Nope, they'll be paying the same percentage and a lower dollar amount.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Other. Its not practical. If you are taking taxes from those who are barely making it as it is, you will just end up returing the money in forms of government assistance so they can eat. You are actually adding extra complication to the system. Say you tax 15% to someone making $30K for a family of 4. They are already paying SSI tax (6.5% approx), Medicare tax (1.5% approx), state tax (here thats 4.35%), plus any sales tax on what they buy and potentiall property tax. They are already paying 12.35% base tax rate. Add another 15% and you are taking 27.35% of their earnings before they even buy anything. So, right off the top, you are taking $8,205 in taxes, bringing their take home pay down to 21,795 per year or $1816.25 per month for a family of 4. And thats at 30k per year. At 20K per year, their take home would be $1210 per month. There is a high likelyhood that the family of 4 would need assistance. So you have a board that reviews their situtation ($), redistributes the money in forms of aid ($$) which the family uses in exchange for food and the store has to convert back over to cash through the system ($$$). It costs less just to let them keep their money in the first place in terms of government management. I thought the point was less government?

just_hc
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting Anonymous:

Not fair. I am low income - 15% would break me. When you make 18K a year, 15% is a whole lot of money.

This makes no sense to me? 15% for you is 2700$. 15% for a millionaire is $150,000. You make less, you pay less. They make more, they pay more.

It's a simple concept really.  I don't know why people don't understand it.  

Alliemad_3
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM
That's not how the tax brackets work.

You are taxed (for example) 10% on income up to $65,000. Then income $65,001-75,000 is taxed at 20%. If you made $65,000 and then got a raise to 70,000, you pay 10% on the first 65,000 and then pay 20% on the additional $5,000.

You will never bring home less for moving up a tax bracket.

Quoting Greekmama21:

FAIR! My husband was on the border of two tax brackets which meant we would have made less had he taken a larger pay. 

Instead, he opted to take less money which gave him an expense account and it also pays for our cell phone plan which has four lines, we only use two... but DD will be turning five this month and we plan to give her a phone when she starts school in case there is an emergency. It also allows my daughter and I to use his expense account when we travel with him. We pay our tickets but we get to go to the zoo or out to lunch on his companies dime... It's awesome... 

But if there were a flat tax you wouldn't have people doing what my husband and many of his friends at other companies do. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Only if the proceeds from his steak went to important things like funding education, etc...

It's not a stupid rationale.  it is the exact rationale used by basically every civilzed nation for a reason and it is the exact reason that most politicians on almost every side of the political spectrum do not endorse a flat tax.  It may "sound fair" because the percentage is the same, but equal and fair are not the same thing and they do not have the same consequences to people of all different income levels.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Kmary:

Not fair.  Because as children we learned that fair and equal are actually not identical things.  Mitt Romney, for example, paid about 15% tax rate (this is not a Mitt bash...just an example because his tax rate came out to approximately 15%).  15% of his income was probably hardly noticed.  It would've made no difference in his lifestyle whatsoever.  But to the average middle income American, 15% could make a huge impact on their quality of life.  There are valid reasons for our graduated tax system.  I'm not saying it's perfect, as it's far from it.  But equal taxing will not make things more fair.  It will widen the ever-growing gap between wealthy and poor.

How is the impact of the payment on the payor relevant?  Just because you feel a higher payment "would've made no difference in his lifestyle whatsover" (your OPINION by the way--you don't know what he did with the saved money and how it impacted his life), why should he have to pay it in exchange for the same services?  Using your rational he should pay more for a loaf of bread than I do, he should pay more for a toyota camry than I do, and he should pay more for his steak dinner than I do.  That's just stupid.

kaffedrikke
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Maybe go down to eight percent
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Quoting Kmary:

Only if the proceeds from his steak went to important things like funding education, etc...

It's not a stupid rationale.  it is the exact rationale used by basically every civilzed nation for a reason and it is the exact reason that most politicians on almost every side of the political spectrum do not endorse a flat tax.  It may "sound fair" because the percentage is the same, but equal and fair are not the same thing and they do not have the same consequences to people of all different income levels.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Kmary:

Not fair.  Because as children we learned that fair and equal are actually not identical things.  Mitt Romney, for example, paid about 15% tax rate (this is not a Mitt bash...just an example because his tax rate came out to approximately 15%).  15% of his income was probably hardly noticed.  It would've made no difference in his lifestyle whatsoever.  But to the average middle income American, 15% could make a huge impact on their quality of life.  There are valid reasons for our graduated tax system.  I'm not saying it's perfect, as it's far from it.  But equal taxing will not make things more fair.  It will widen the ever-growing gap between wealthy and poor.

How is the impact of the payment on the payor relevant?  Just because you feel a higher payment "would've made no difference in his lifestyle whatsover" (your OPINION by the way--you don't know what he did with the saved money and how it impacted his life), why should he have to pay it in exchange for the same services?  Using your rational he should pay more for a loaf of bread than I do, he should pay more for a toyota camry than I do, and he should pay more for his steak dinner than I do.  That's just stupid.

Nations don't rationalize...people do.  And my point is that I don't agree with the rationale. It should be based on what you're getting for the money paid (with certain exclusions, of course--to some extent we all have to fund PA but obviously not all can be eligible to receive it).  I think focussing on the impact of the payment to the payor is ridiculous.  And of course equal and fair are NOT the same thing.  Equal can be quantified (e.g. 15%), but fair is objective.  We're entitled to equal treatment under the law, not fair treatment. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM
I always go anon in here so you don't know me. Again you are like a 5 year old. You feel the need to name call and all that. Hell my 2 year old behaves better than you. Please go look up eat fact means and what opinion means it might help you.

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting Anonymous:

You are welcome to think what you would like. You responded to me first. You are the brainless one who thinks if someone doesn't agree with you than they are not worth crap.

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting Anonymous:

I stated why I didn't agree with it. You have a right to your opinion also but I will not argue with you because that is all you do. Btw I am in the higher tax bracket and I feel this way.

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting Anonymous:

Not fair, those with lower income it would hurt, higher income it wouldn't bother.

Precisely why the FAIR Tax is a much better idea than the Flat Tax. The more you spend on non basic items, the more you pay. 

You are such a joke. How was I to know you stated anything. You are a sissy who is always anon. I can tell when you are the same person, because you say the same tired, dried up old crap. BTW, I do not care what tax bracket you are in. I also think you are brainless and have not a clue what you are talking about, the vast majority of the time. Stop being a loser stalker, eh? 

Except, Einstein, since you are always a sissy and are anon, I did not know it was you until after you replied with your same old BS. You are a big talker for such a wimp. And here is a bit of a clue for you. Facts are facts. There is no opinion on facts. You can try to spin facts, but that does not make them less factual. Because you and your three brain cell a piece cronies like to spin, is not my problem. You could not prove me wrong. When they tried, they only proved me right. Because none of you could read or add is not my problem. I am starting to think I know exactly who you are.... Exactly who you are. 

zandrawilly
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:37 PM

That is also what my husband says as well.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)