Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think about a flat tax, across the board?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Fair or Not Fair?

Options:

Fair

Not Fair - explain

Other - explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 136

View Results

Say everyone had to pay 15% in taxes - off of their gross income.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Replies (31-40):
MCA23
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

It SOUNDS like a great idea, but in the end- with most scenarios I've seen laid out- it's actually an increase for most people against the effective rate they currently pay.

I'm all for simplifying the tax code, but I voted 'other' because I don't think it's fair OR unfair. 

Aislinn
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Aislinn:

I like the FAIR tax, not the FLAT tax.. Two different ideas. One is a flat tax across the board, the other is a heavy tax on luxury items and no tax on basic needs. 

They are very different as one is a sales tax and the other is a income tax

And that, too... lol I did not want to get too deep in my first reply, though...;) So, here is my opinion. Income tax should go. Period. All luxury items should be taxed, heavily. If you want a car, great. If you want a luxury car, 25%, please...lol I am not sure if it would be our saviour, but ANYTHING is better than a 30,000 page tax code. 

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I do think its possible but it would take a huge shift in how this generations minds work.  they would have to dump their entitled attitudes and start to understand ONLY THEY can lift themselves up and actually take responsibility for themselves and their choices. I think its ridiculous to put yourself in a position that you think you should raise a family on a childs and retirees job.  I mean look you actually think its ok to FORCE a business to pay more for non skilled menial labor .  That is the definition of entitled.  

Quoting Lurion:

That's a nice sentiment. Do you know how many people are raising children on minimum wage jobs? 

So do you believe that it is possible to run the entire US economy with young people doing minimum wage jobs and the other 95% of the adult population all doing higher-level jobs? How would that work?

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Lurion:

I voted "other"--I'm for a flat tax, but it should be 10%.

IMO this would have to be done as a package deal for it to work--minimum wage would be automatically adjusted to keep up with inflation (high enough so that minimum wage workers don't also need food stamps to survive or buy health insurance with what's left) and basic health care would be provided to all (single-payer so rates can be negotiated and public cost isn't  outrageous). 

They've done studies that show a 10% worldwide flat tax would provide every person in the world with basic food, shelter and medical care. 

I disagree.  Minimum wage jobs are not meant for grown ups who are raising families.  Instead of making business pay more for menial non skilled jobs these people should be doing something to lift themselves up into anther sector and leave these types of jobs for who they are intended our youth to get work experience and to help put themselves through college.

..MoonShine..
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting Anonymous:

Not fair. I am low income - 15% would break me. When you make 18K a year, 15% is a whole lot of money.

This makes no sense to me? 15% for you is 2700$. 15% for a millionaire is $150,000. You make less, you pay less. They make more, they pay more.

You're looking purely at dollar amount. You have to look in relation to...well, just about everything else. For someone that makes 18k a year, $2700 is a lot of money. For a millionaire, 150k...not so much. When you look at the whole picture, a millionaire is NOT paying more. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Not fair as it favors the rich.  This is not rocket science.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Aislinn:

I like the FAIR tax, not the FLAT tax.. Two different ideas. One is a flat tax across the board, the other is a heavy tax on luxury items and no tax on basic needs. 

They are very different as one is a sales tax and the other is a income tax

And that, too... lol I did not want to get to deep in my first reply, though...;) So, here is my opinion. Income tax should go. Period. All luxury items should be taxed, heavily. If you want a car, great. If you want a luxury car, 25%, please...lol I am not sure if it would be our saviour, but ANYTHING is better than a 30,000 page tax code. 

I so agree I have for years said I wish we had enough people in this country that really actually cared about the good of the country as a whole instead of their own pockets and stage a REAL tea party and dump the tax codes.  It is a racket.  I think their should only be sales tax also but we might disagree with the luxury aspect..:)  I The more you spend by the nature of a % the more you pay so in my mind the actual % doesn't need to go up but like you said thats for another maybe raining day when Erin is sick  :)

..MoonShine..

Ah...the myth of meritocracy. Awesome. *smh* 

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I do think its possible but it would take a huge shift in how this generations minds work.  they would have to dump their entitled attitudes and start to understand ONLY THEY can lift themselves up and actually take responsibility for themselves and their choices. I think its ridiculous to put yourself in a position that you think you should raise a family on a childs and retirees job.  I mean look you actually think its ok to FORCE a business to pay more for non skilled menial labor .  That is the definition of entitled.  

Quoting Lurion:

Cookie-kisses

Even the churches?

Lurion
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:54 AM

So you think thousands of people put themselves in the position of having to raise a family on a minimum wage job? Wow, this is getting good. Really amazing. 

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Lurion:

That's a nice sentiment. Do you know how many people are raising children on minimum wage jobs? 

So do you believe that it is possible to run the entire US economy with young people doing minimum wage jobs and the other 95% of the adult population all doing higher-level jobs? How would that work?

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Lurion:

I voted "other"--I'm for a flat tax, but it should be 10%.

IMO this would have to be done as a package deal for it to work--minimum wage would be automatically adjusted to keep up with inflation (high enough so that minimum wage workers don't also need food stamps to survive or buy health insurance with what's left) and basic health care would be provided to all (single-payer so rates can be negotiated and public cost isn't  outrageous). 

They've done studies that show a 10% worldwide flat tax would provide every person in the world with basic food, shelter and medical care. 

I disagree.  Minimum wage jobs are not meant for grown ups who are raising families.  Instead of making business pay more for menial non skilled jobs these people should be doing something to lift themselves up into anther sector and leave these types of jobs for who they are intended our youth to get work experience and to help put themselves through college.

erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

MYTH .....LOLyeah thats what people who have entitled mindsets think.  Its much easy to say that then get off your but and do something

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Ah...the myth of meritocracy. Awesome. *smh* 

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting Lurion:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)