Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think about a flat tax, across the board?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Fair or Not Fair?

Options:

Fair

Not Fair - explain

Other - explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 136

View Results

Say everyone had to pay 15% in taxes - off of their gross income.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Replies (41-50):
mrsjonzy
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Screw that and you guys saying its fair, idk even know what to do with you. Are you joking me? You're going to give control of more money to people that can't do basic math, don't understand basic economics, and are basically worse than Bernie Madoff. Terrible idea! Just so you know no matter how much they tax us we'll never be ou of debt as there isn't enou money is existence to pay it. Leave charity and welfare programs to religous organizations like they always have been, entitlement programs create entitled generations.
.JukeBoxHero.
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Basically a federal sales tax correct?

Quoting Aislinn:

Quoting Anonymous:

Not fair, those with lower income it would hurt, higher income it wouldn't bother.

Precisely why the FAIR Tax is a much better idea than the Flat Tax. The more you spend on non basic items, the more you pay. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AHmom103
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:57 AM

With a couple modifications, I think it's fair. I think 15% is a lot higher than it would need to be though. I think it should be set up so that basically, there are 3 tax brackets. Everyone making under x amount per year would pay a certain percentage, even if it was only 1 or 2%. Everyone making between x and x amount would pay a higher percentage, and everyone making over x amount would pay the highest percentage. This way, everyone would contribute, and there would be no loopholes for people to get out of paying taxes.

MsRkg
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Not fair. You cannot apply a flat tax across the board because everyone does not make the same income. 15% is nothing to people making millions or high income, but to those in the low to middle income tax bracket, 15% lost from their gross income could prove devastating.

..MoonShine..
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM

LOL Ok. 

Quoting erinsmom1964:

MYTH .....LOLyeah thats what people who have entitled mindsets think.  Its much easy to say that then get off your but and do something

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Ah...the myth of meritocracy. Awesome. *smh* 

Quoting erinsmom1964:

I do think its possible but it would take a huge shift in how this generations minds work.  they would have to dump their entitled attitudes and start to understand ONLY THEY can lift themselves up and actually take responsibility for themselves and their choices. I think its ridiculous to put yourself in a position that you think you should raise a family on a childs and retirees job.  I mean look you actually think its ok to FORCE a business to pay more for non skilled menial labor .  That is the definition of entitled.  

Quoting Lurion:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM

$2700 is more than I make in two months. It may not make sense to you, but to me that is a lot of money. I don't care about the millionaires - they have it to pay. I don't. A millionaire wouldn't even bat an eye at $150K. But for me, $2700 is the difference between keeping my head above water and drowning.

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting Anonymous:

Not fair. I am low income - 15% would break me. When you make 18K a year, 15% is a whole lot of money.

This makes no sense to me? 15% for you is 2700$. 15% for a millionaire is $150,000. You make less, you pay less. They make more, they pay more.

mrsjonzy
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Quoting weezer_cookie:

Fair, many corporations pay 0% due to offshore bank accounts. We need to close the tax loops that allow them to weasel out of paying any money to the government. This is a big reason why we are in such enormous debt, spending or not.

Putting extensive taxes on companies just ensures they ship jobs over seas, buy foreign products, and then we get nothing. So really tax credits help more than they hurt people in general. You have to make our country a place people want to do business or were in trouble. Which is a big deal when were already in a terrible job shortage. And none of the extra revenue would go to pay off ANY of the debt, we have no intention of paying it.
LamiavitaDivina
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Fair!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I am in favor because the wealthy do not use more services...they shouldn't have to pay more for them.  Of course, you could never calculate the exact amount of services anyone uses, so simply dividing the total cost among the number of adults (all of whom should pay taxes, regardless if you chose to or can't work) is the way to go.  Of course, we'd need to work how the disabled or elderly pay their share given they can't work, but the overall concept is appealing to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm.. well education is key! Should've made better choices in life!

Quoting Anonymous:

$2700 is more than I make in two months. It may not make sense to you, but to me that is a lot of money. I don't care about the millionaires - they have it to pay. I don't. A millionaire wouldn't even bat an eye at $150K. But for me, $2700 is the difference between keeping my head above water and drowning.

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting Anonymous:

Not fair. I am low income - 15% would break me. When you make 18K a year, 15% is a whole lot of money.

This makes no sense to me? 15% for you is 2700$. 15% for a millionaire is $150,000. You make less, you pay less. They make more, they pay more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN