Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You're a mean one... Mr. Grinch... you're a nasty, stingy, etc... ((s/o Christmas post))

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 3:23 PM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

Noticed the other Christmas post, and thought I'd post our tradition.

My kids (yes, we are Christian) get three gifts each.   Our philosophy is that Jesus got three gifts in honor of his B-Day, so since we are celebrating his B-Day, they shouldn't get more.  

The first gift they are sharing...

We are setting up a small game room in our garage with items we can find at the thrift stores or something.   Then they will have two wrapped gifts and a small Christmas stocking with a mix of home made treats and store bought.

Then my eldest will get a craft sewing machine that I actually already own so re-gifting, but I'm going to include coupons for her to get sewing lessons at the local craft store and a couple different supplies like fabric scraps.     She will also get either clothes or a shopping spree for new clothes.  

My second will get a couple shirts and socks and a pair of Pj's if I can find his favorite characters (lego ninjago would make his day!)   Maybe I'll tuck a small lego set in the box with the clothes just to give him something to get excited about.   His second gift will be a new baseball bat and a gift card to a local batting cages place.

My third will get 2-3 Mobigo games (handheld games for preschoolers), and some new dress up stuff I bought after halloween. 

My baby, I have been buying some baby toys at Khols when I get the $10 gift cards in the mail.   I have spent $1-3 bucks per toy.   Plus he's getting a "used" car seat that I bought off a neighbor.   He will be 6 months, and I spent cheaply on the others when they were young, so I'm not being unfair.

Yes, we strive to spend very little at Christmas.   I'd prefer to spend money on memory making moments.   Like lots of good candies to decorate our gingerbread this year.   That will cost us a pretty penny, and we will have too much sugar... but the kids absolutely LOVE this tradition.

We also don't count COST as much.   Like my son will get a brand new bat (probably like $25??) while I'm "regifting" my old craft sewing machine to my daughter.   She has been BEGGING for needles and fabric, so she will be ELATED.  I'll probably spend $10-12 on fabric.   We count the worth of the items to the child.   If we can go cheap, and still make kid happy, then score one for us!

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
two4one
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Whatever works for your family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 3:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Why do people feel the need to explain this shit?
mem82
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 3:31 PM

That sounds fun and thoughtful. We do ours bigger but that's what works for our family.

notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 3:36 PM

ok.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM

because its fun???  its obviously not fun for u to take time to read it, so y do people read this stuff if they donyt want to?

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do people feel the need to explain this shit?

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Nov. 6, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Okay
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured