Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Public service announcement from a kindergarten teacher

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

If your child's teacher is offering conferences or you feel you need a conference, it is rude to send in a note saying "we will be requiring two conferences, one with me, one with the child's other parent as we are not together". I did not volunteer to have two conferences, it is a waste of my time. Honestly, it's like saying your child is more important and deserves more of my time then the children in the classroom who's parents are together and they are not. Grow up, you are being asked to sit in a room with the person who you chose to create a child with and talk about the child, I am not asking you to screw on the desks.

Thanks for letting me vent, I hate getting these notes, while I do politely say that I can only do one conference per child unless there is a restraining order, I wish I could tell the parents this

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Replies (21-30):
ScoobyDooknew
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM

I feel your frustration. but in a new touchy divorce or one based on physical/sxexual/emotional abuse it is very appropriate that they request 2 seperate conferences with you. 

and while you might not like it , honey its part of your job. go whine in the teachers lounge. i would have to know if my son hade you for a teacher. you have no passion , carring or calling for the job. 

Quoting Anonymous:

If your child's teacher is offering conferences or you feel you need a conference, it is rude to send in a note saying "we will be requiring two conferences, one with me, one with the child's other parent as we are not together". I did not volunteer to have two conferences, it is a waste of my time. Honestly, it's like saying your child is more important and deserves more of my time then the children in the classroom who's parents are together and they are not. Grow up, you are being asked to sit in a room with the person who you chose to create a child with and talk about the child, I am not asking you to screw on the desks.

Thanks for letting me vent, I hate getting these notes, while I do politely say that I can only do one conference per child unless there is a restraining order, I wish I could tell the parents this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM
It really makes me sad that people who fight in front of their kids and use them a pawns against the other patent
URHonor
by Rotten.Girl on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM
I agree with you!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2boys664
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM
4 moms liked this

Yes, because the extra time may violate your union contract...give them credit for both trying to be involved in their kids education.  All I hear is teachers complaining how parents need to be more involved, here are two parents trying to do just that and you are bitching about 15 min of your time. You don't know what the situation is and yet you sit in judgement because it is inconvenient for you - unbelievable.

URHonor
by Rotten.Girl on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Omg

Quoting ScoobyDooknew:

I feel your frustration. but in a new touchy divorce or one based on physical/sxexual/emotional abuse it is very appropriate that they request 2 seperate conferences with you. 

and while you might not like it , honey its part of your job. go whine in the teachers lounge. i would have to know if my son hade you for a teacher. you have no passion , carring or calling for the job. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Actually you are. That is why you are paid a salary and not per hour. Your salary includes class time, lesson planning and time for conferences. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Some schools require it if the parents ask, thankfully, mine doesn't. I would be careful because while they may not complain, you are probably talked about in the teacher's lounge.Why do you think your children deserve more of the teacher's time then the other kids? You know we don't get paid for the time we spend in conferences right?

Quoting Anonymous:

My kids' teachers have always done a conference with both parents without a second thought. 

Night_Roane
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I told my ex as much of the conference as I could, but he lives in another city, so I gave him the teacher's number in case he wanted to hear it from her, because he doesn't usually come this way unless he's picking up DD.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Wow. My ex and I don't get along. Tbh I wish that he would get run over by a bus, repeatedly. but I've never asked for double handouts or a separate conference. I do however ask the teacher to please email me if something important goes out because if it goes out on a day she is with her dad I have no idea. He refuses to share things. I have to make copies of everything myself for him. He got an order form for mandatory class t-shirts. They were $10 a piece. Dd said something to me about it. I emailed the teacher 2 days before the money was due (she gave like 10 days to pay) asking if it had been paid, but never got a response. So on the due date, I sent the money in with a note stating I had emailed with no response so I sent the money. If he paid, please return it. She wrote back stating no he hadn't paid.

While I don't agree with the separate conferences, I can see asking for 2 copies of things. I however haven't asked for it. I just make the copies myself.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Since they are done either before or after school, they are really done on my time, this is time away from my own children. While I am 100% focused on my students during the school day, once it is time to go home, I want to focus on my own children. Also, the conferences are about the children, not about the parents, there is no reason they can't suck it up

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

When I was a teacher I always did two conferences if requested. Its about the kids education, not about what I am willing to do or not do or my time. The time invested was always worth it to me. Sorry you feel that way. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Glad you're not my kids teacher. You need to practice on your grammar.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)