Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Public service announcement from a kindergarten teacher

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

If your child's teacher is offering conferences or you feel you need a conference, it is rude to send in a note saying "we will be requiring two conferences, one with me, one with the child's other parent as we are not together". I did not volunteer to have two conferences, it is a waste of my time. Honestly, it's like saying your child is more important and deserves more of my time then the children in the classroom who's parents are together and they are not. Grow up, you are being asked to sit in a room with the person who you chose to create a child with and talk about the child, I am not asking you to screw on the desks.

Thanks for letting me vent, I hate getting these notes, while I do politely say that I can only do one conference per child unless there is a restraining order, I wish I could tell the parents this

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Replies (31-40):
1likeme
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this
My son's kindergarten teacher took it upon herself to have teacher conferences with me and with my ex. I did not ask for it but I certainly appreciated it. I was able to go in and focus on my child's progress instead of dealing with my EX's antics. I am thankful that my child has a teacher who is willing to put an extra 15 minutes into my child's education.
alwayskk
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm a sub and my daughter is also in kindergarten this year. Our districts will coordinate conferences and papers to take home. I don't think it's rude to ASK, it's rude to get upset when the answer is no, or to demand. It's never rude to ask. 

outtamymynd
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:31 PM
Smh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Of course if there is a no contact order, that is different but that is something I know about at the beginning of the school year. I have only had 2 of these cases in the past 5 years of teaching.

Quoting bowribbonmama:

What if there is a no contact order on said parents? Each parent has a right to get info regarding their childs education.

emeraldangel2.0
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Quoting bowribbonmama:

What if there is a no contact order on said parents? Each parent has a right to get info regarding their childs education.

this. i'm in school to be an early childhood educator and we just learned that teachers do any and everything to make the parents feel comfortable.

http://www.imagepointe.com/webres/Image/designs/Vote-Obama-Nov-6-2012.jpg

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:33 PM

We had teacher workdays to do ours so that was a little different but we still had to stay until 7 pm to accomodate parents who worked and could not come in during the day. I can understand where you are coming from but I usually tried to accomodate both parents if possible and reasonable. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Since they are done either before or after school, they are really done on my time, this is time away from my own children. While I am 100% focused on my students during the school day, once it is time to go home, I want to focus on my own children. Also, the conferences are about the children, not about the parents, there is no reason they can't suck it up

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

When I was a teacher I always did two conferences if requested. Its about the kids education, not about what I am willing to do or not do or my time. The time invested was always worth it to me. Sorry you feel that way. 

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM

It's why my parents never attended anything together.  They've been divorced since I was 16 (FORTY years ago) and still can't stand to be in the same room (state?) with each other.

piratehooker
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Good for you. People need to realize teachers have a life too.

My ex would never come with me and then call the school to get information, it never worked.

Muahhahahahha
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM

No, I am saying they need to grow up

Quoting Anonymous:

If they can't get along and be in the same room without fighting wouldn't it be better for the child to do separate conferences?  Or are you saying you really don't give a damn about the kids?

brittany208
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Dont know how it is there, but here conferences are Wed and Thurs night all night and then everyone has Fridays off. So it all evens out. Yes being there for two nights stinks, but it comes with the job.

Quoting Anonymous:

Since they are done either before or after school, they are really done on my time, this is time away from my own children. While I am 100% focused on my students during the school day, once it is time to go home, I want to focus on my own children. Also, the conferences are about the children, not about the parents, there is no reason they can't suck it up

Quoting momo3fgr8tteens:

When I was a teacher I always did two conferences if requested. Its about the kids education, not about what I am willing to do or not do or my time. The time invested was always worth it to me. Sorry you feel that way. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)